F-104A/C out of Hasegawa CF-104

reini

For the 1/72 scale Starfighters the Hasegawa is the best one - not by a huge margin but still best all around kit with best details. Now, Hasegawa only does CF-104, F-104G and F-104S - and not the early A or C models. But there are several early Starfighters I would like to do - so I wanted to try that how viable it is to backdate a Hasegawa F-104.

51131468529_471e73341c_o.jpg

This is my starting point, a Hasegawa CF-104. The F-104G and F-104S packings are very similar but with few notable differences. This kit has the correct wheel well covers for both A and C and if you want to do a F-104C in South East Asia configuration, this box has the RWR receivers as they were fitted on late CF-104's too. As normal with Hasegawa, they have a million reboxings, but I think all CF-104 boxings are the same apart from the decals. And they also have atleast one boxing with CF-104 and F-104G/S in the same package. Just something to take note, as Hasegawa has a bad habit of cutting away parts of a sprue that are not needed in the specific version that comes with the box.

51130901728_565b4e27df_o.jpg

51130689706_f3bbf32786_o.jpg

The sprues. Let's take little closer look on what we need to take into consideration when backdating this kit.

51130901793_016b39e421_o.jpg

Wheels and rims, the F-104A&C wheels are narrower than F-104G wheels with different rims. The real CF-104 most likely has the narrower wheels as it comes with the non-bulged wheel well cover, but that doesn't really matter as the kit only has one set of wheels for all the version. So they are the same for all Hasegawa F-104G and CF-104. Not that it matters hugely as the difference in width in this scale is most likely not a huge deal. But the rims are different, so that's something we need to take into consideration. In the picture, there's F-104C rims, and as compared to the kit part there is noticeable difference. Aftermarket parts are available so that is the most likely route I will take. Though I might try putty & hand drill first as the rims are quite simple. We will see.

51130014757_530ec73dda_o.jpg

Wheel well covers. F-104G wheel covers have bulges, but as these are CF-104 covers they don't have them so they are correct for this build as is. But even with F-104G covers, they would be rather easy to sand the bulges away.

51131468489_a816e382d5_o.jpg

Exhaust nozzle, the kit part is not hugely detailed but it resembles the one on the right more - which is incorrect for this build. We want the one on the left. Aftermarket parts are available, which is a good route to take especially if you want some extra details. I might have a go at trying to add some details for the existing kit part, though. Nothing to lose.

51131468459_a751bfc067_o.jpg

Cockpit - now I'm not hugely well versed on the F-104 cockpit so I don't know the differences. There must be some but I'm trusting that Eduard has done the research for me and I am using a PE set to add (hopefully correct) details. But again, not that it will probably make a huge difference in this scale, atleast with a canopy closed build.

51130901748_ffb1960530_o.jpg

Now the most noticeable difference is the tail - F-104A and C have smaller tail. But it doesn't look terribly hard to cut away part of the Hasegawa tail and rescribe. I mean - (with Jeremy Clarkson's voice) how hard can it be? :D 

Right, there should be the main differences (the ones that matter for this build atleast). While I have huge interest in the Starfighter I am by no means authority on all the differences on all the versions - so if you have something to share about this matter, please do so :) 

Now as with the specific version I will be doing, I am still undecided whether it will be a Pakistani F-104A or USAF F-104C in SEA camo. Differences are rather small with those two versions, but the SEA F-104C would require adding an refueling probe which I would probably need to scratch build. We can go into details once I'll decide what I will do, there probably will be some small things that I have forgotten here. Let's see how it goes :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, reini said:

the SEA F-104C would require adding an refueling probe which I would probably need to scratch build.

I may have a spare, if that would help.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

51146923760_e786e50b47_o.jpg

F-104C on top and the kit CF-104 on bottom. The needed changes are quite straightforward - basically just removing the CF-104 rudder and scribing a few new lines, Also some detail changes, like on the small vents that I have highlighted with black ink.

51146038978_f1b6376075_o.jpg

Areas to be removed are marked black. The rudder is just on the other side so I only need to make one cut and reshape the tail 'stinger'. Also fill up the other went marked black and rescribing some new details.

51145816876_b5ce2b8a28_o.jpg

Cut has been made. Probably needs a bit thinning towards the rear and shaping of the tail stinger  - but both are easier to do once the fuselage parts are together. So I will do the final details and shaping then.

51146038948_ff9feed5f9_o.jpg

Panel line and the other vent is filled with sprue goo.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent - you're welcome! M117's were the most common load over the South, since I had a couple to spare I'd thought you might be able to use them.

Nice progress, by the way!

Cheers,

Andrr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress (ie. no progress :giggle: ) because of other WIP builds but some aftermarket goodies arrived. :bounce:

51229176365_976f6c4b98_o.jpg

Wheels, ejection seat, pitot and exhaust. So I think we pretty much all things sorted out to make a F-104C out of CF-104 now. Ejection seat and pitot tube are OK out of the box for the F-104C, but the aftermarket ones are certainly higher quality to make the kit bit more detailed.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Okay, let's resurrect this build! :)

Really excited to expand on my vietnam-era builds at the moment so this fits the mood perfectly. And it's been too long since my last 'Zipper'!

spacer.png

I put together the aftermarket engine - which is far too complicated for 1/72 in my opinion - but atleast the business end looks nice and sweet :) Except it's all wonky and not round at all. BUT it seems it will sort itself out once stuck inside the fuselage. We will see. I tried forming it with hot water but it didn't seem to do anything. 

• Like 6

This is strange. :shrug: I bought a few engines of ResKit and they don't have any problems. I can take some pictures with the same set, whote I have. I think you can write to the store or ResKit for replacement.

• Like 1

Just now, reini said:

I do have the new Academy/Revell F-104C/G too but the canopy is close to a deal breaker for me. 

Agreed. A flat canopy and windscreen. I might still go the Esci & Hasegawa route as I wanted to use the non-bulged doors, wings, rear end. Other than that the Hasegawa works :)

Martin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Agreed. A flat canopy and windscreen. I might still go the Esci & Hasegawa route as I wanted to use the non-bulged doors, wings, rear end. Other than that the Hasegawa works :)

Martin

Many of the Hasegawa kits (but not all) come with the non-bulged doors. I think its the F-104J model that has the flat doors. Well, some very early G's too. Not sure about Cf-104.

Edit: It seems CF-104 comes with the flat doors too as I have stated in the first post :D Its been a while since I started this build... 

The problem is that I am stuck with my stash of F-104G/S kits (Hasegawa) and Italeri/Esci F-104A/Cs ;). You will need the doors! You have the thinner wheels too? 

3 minutes ago, reini said:

Edit: It seems CF-104 comes with the flat doors too as I have stated in the first post :D Its been a while since I started this build... 

👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

The problem is that I am stuck with my stash of F-104G/S kits (Hasegawa) and Italeri/Esci F-104A/Cs ;). You will need the doors! You have the thinner wheels too? 

Wrong rims, sadly. But if you're willing to go aftermarket, they are easily available. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2023 at 22:20, Memphis said:

This is strange. :shrug: I bought a few engines of ResKit and they don't have any problems. I can take some pictures with the same set, whote I have. I think you can write to the store or ResKit for replacement.

Yeah I think it was just packed bit too tight. No problem really, it's really thin so it shapes up nicely once I pop it inside the fuselage halves.

spacer.png

Painted up, tail end still looks bit wonky but it will look better in the end. Detail in these is amazing!

spacer.png

Sometimes I struggle with the PE and this was one of those cases. There is a PE part on my finger that goes inside the cockpit, I think it's the emergency manual gear release lever. Good to know I have it when my 1:72 ride gets into trouble! Yes, it's there, look closely, there is some random black debris on my finger too so do not get mistaken.

spacer.png

Finished cockpit, just missing the seat :)

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, reini said:

Yes, it's there, look closely, there is some random black debris on my finger too so do not get mistaken.

We've all been there, I think :D
I've given up on PE cockpit levers, too much work and stress!

I start to think that Eduard includes them to feed the carpet monster and prevent it from going after more meaningful parts of your kit.

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27979&authk

In the process of cleaning all the smaller parts.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27987&authk

Seat is done.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27977&authk

Both front & rear fuselages are now closed - I cleaned them up first and then applied little bit of putty just to make sure that the seams are nice.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27980&authk

Kit has quite nice and delicate panel lines so they needed bit of rescribing after the sanding. I use stiff tape as a quide for the scriber.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27982&authk

The way I build my Hasegawa 104's is to glue font and back fuselages separately first - and then attach them in the middle at the same time as I glue the intakes. I can make small adjustments during the process and make sure that no gaps or steps appear on difficult locations. I guess one way would be build left and right half of the plane separately and attach them together in the end but I have not tried that.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27984&authk

On the bottom, I needed some thin plasticard as a shim to make a snug fit. 

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27985&authk

And on the spine small amount of putty just to make the fit real nice.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27986&authk

I also puttied over the other pylon holes on the outer edge of the wing. I think these are only needed in later Italian S-variants.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27981&authk

External stores also got some love. I stippled the front section with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer to create a rough cast iron like surface. I will also paint and weather them differently.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27983&authk

Starting to show the beautiful 104 lines:cool: I'm working on Dutch 104G at the same time (on top).

• Like 7

Nice update, really looking the business! 

2 hours ago, reini said:

I'm working on Dutch 104G at the same time

You're obviously a man of excellent taste.  ;) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2023 at 14:01, cpoud117 said:

Great work so far!

I have a pretty serious F-104 itch that I'll need to scratch soon. Once I finish a few of the "in-progress" that is :)

Yeah, it's been way too long since my last F-104 and I'm always finishing other projects. I thought that now it's time for Zipper (or three! :thumbsup:).

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28042&authk

And it's starting to look like a proper Zipper!

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28043&authk

I added the extra bits - ie. air refuelling probe...

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28044&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!28045&authk

... and radar warning receivers under the nose and tail.

Notice the damage on the tail pipe, I accidentally dropped the model and the brittle resin exhaust pipe broke.😬 Tried to fix it best I can...

I think it's time for primer.

• Like 11