Howdy from Vancouver

Aayin1941

Bienvenue!

This is a nice forum with lots of advice & support.

It'll be interesting to see your projects.

(I have two cousins in Vancouver - looks like a nice place)

• Like 1

Gidday Rob, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Perth went into three day lockdown at midnight end of Friday last but this was lifted at midnight end of Monday last, although at present we still have restrictions. Hopefully these will be eased or lifted at midnight end of this Friday. We have our WASMEx event this weekend, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work soon. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2021 at 20:18, ArnoldAmbrose said:

....sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....

Don’t be sry, nice to hear from you whenever. I had to give up on DIY quad mounts, sadly just can’t do tolerance less than a millimetre(maybe you can send me few next Christmas or something lol). I am kinda stuck ATM between build IDs, trying to convince myself to use up my stash before buying anything more. Not that my stash is huge, but knowing now that plastic can dry out & even warp given enough years, it maybe time. Things here are seemingly levelling off, until the next airplane lands. Anywho always nice to hear from you, looking forward to your builds, Jamaica looks great so far but my heart & eyes are on your Hood mod

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2021 at 21:06, busnproplinerfan said:

Hi from a few provinces over.

Howdy. My grandma lived in Winnipeg. I cut through a field thinking I found a short cut to her place one summer, almost got eaten alive by mosquitoes. No more shortcuts for me in that town 🤕

3 hours ago, Aayin1941 said:

Howdy. My grandma lived in Winnipeg. I cut through a field thinking I found a short cut to her place one summer, almost got eaten alive by mosquitoes. No more shortcuts for me in that town 🤕

That'll learn ya. :) Grass is your enemy just for that reason.

• Like 1

I was gonna start a procrastination club once, but never got around to it. Some original Canuck humour for y’all.
No really my big issue for build starts is too many ideas. Like my latest, to build older ships so less need of small detailed items, specifically HMS Dreadnought @ 1/600 scale by combining a carved wooden hull with plastic card upper works. At my preferred scale I pretty much ran out of available OBB options, but the possibilities are almost endless if I can figure an easy way to create hulls & turrets:spacer.pngtruth be told thou, I got enough repairs needed to prolly keep me BZ for a bit🤭

Gidday Rob, I'm thinking along similar lines for the same reason - limited kits available in 1/600. I was thinking of wood hulls and styrene decks and upperworks too. Not sure yet whether to go with balsa or a harder wood. I might try a couple of small hulls to see what works. But I've got to finish my HMS Hood first. Regards, Jeff.

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Not sure yet whether to go with balsa or a harder wood“

Hey Jeff, I have aspirations with basswood, not sure if it’s available down under, indigenous to NA. I also think I may try some smaller ship first before attempting a scratch built Dreadnought. No Minesweepers on my shelf yet, but being Canadian, there maybe a Corvette in my future 🔔

Read recently the author of an Airfix magazine mod(city class cruiser) used Hood to create Renown. I used a 15” turret from extra Hood model to replace 1 sadly lost from my Repulse, be super cool to maybe create Renown with what is left. Likely within my grasp if I made an early depiction, like b4 it’s major upgrade. Give me a chance to try my new Jewellers Saw & stuff🪓💣 

Will start a new tread soon, once I stop procrastinating lol.

Take good care everyone, 

cheers Rob 

Edited by Aayin1941
Typos

Gidday Rob, that would be an interesting conversion. Are you aware however of Hood's greater length, different bow and different underwater hull form at about the break of the shelterdeck, just fwd of X turret? If you really want to do a HMS Renown then another Repulse kit might be the way to go if you can get one, although the hull would be more post upgrade with the bulges added. Pre-upgrade, yeah maybe a shortened Hood hull. Alternatively you can use your six-gun Hood, let you imagination run wild and do a whiff. Maybe extend the shelterdeck further aft to cover X turret. If you wanted it at WW2 vintage there'd be plenty of length for a catapult and hangars. Just a thought. Either way they'd be interesting builds to do.

A few years ago I did a whiff using a Repulse hull and turrets, Warspite superstructure, Belfast AA guns and other assorted mods. She was about half way between a WW2 Repulse and Renown, and I called her HMS Reliant. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Minor update. I guess I need to research my new jewellers saw, tried cutting some mahogany to create a corvette hull & I broke 2 blades. I must be doing something wrong, obviously 😬 Sadly from the modelling end of things spring & summer kinda hard to not enjoy, now I got my vaccine dose. Yet me thinks I have come full circle with my ideas, like HMS Unicorn is rather interesting to me (first radar set, tallest bridge in RN, first ship to bring reinforcements to Korea, only ACC to use its guns for shore bombardment) yet little talked about or modelled. One huge thing I learned about kit bashing is the newer the plastic the easier it cuts. My extra Ark Royal kit is less than a year old, was bought to replace lost parts on older model plus the height & appearance is very similar to Unicorn. It seems very much doable from where I sit ️ 

• Like 1

Hi Robert, I partied in St. Catharines 40 years back when I was young & just old enough to drink. Is the Franklin Hotel still around? Thx, yes Vancouver is normally a very friendly town, sadly thou the gang violence in the suburbs is getting way out of hand, I have never seen it so bad as the last few months.  Hoping it goes away after Covid gets under control, everyone is on edge right now, it sad some people taking it out on each other.

Take care of you & yours.

cheers,

Rob