A kick up the RC. Wild Willy2 Tamiya 1/10

Tamiya

Wild Willy2 RC  1/10 Scale.

51130041966_f92513c78f_b.jpg

It’s been 36 years since The 10 year old me drooled over the Tamiya catalogue dreaming about owning a Wild Willy, the most fun RC car ever.  Over the past few years I have indulged myself in our beautiful hobby trying to recreate images I saw as a kid in those oh so wonderful catalogues. Building mostly aircraft but some cars and tanks, sometimes even a robotic suit thing has given me great pleasure and sharing on BM has re kindled a long lost hobby.

After a recent lucky windfall from work I took the opportunity to treat myself to a childhood dream, something that was way out of reach for the 10 year old me. After a month wait it arrived pretty much on my birthday. 🥳

Sorry if this is out of place but I love to share my builds and I hope you’ll indulge me as I’m planning on doing some sweet paint action on this beautiful beast. I can’t imagine it’ll take long to build and I hope if you do follow along you’ll find it interesting. 

Let the fun begin! 

51131072530_2687d87f6d_b.jpg

Johnny. 🤩

• Like 10

Well it starts looking like a regular model kit. I guess the only difference is nuts and bolts and wires rather than glue and paint. Well for the first part anyway.

51131072485_fef27d8da6_b.jpg

The gear box comes in a single part 

51130032469_65bb39c043_b.jpg

This got dismantled and some sealed running bearings replaced the plastic bushes that came with the kit. I then added the rear wheel arms.

51129960306_9f346b69d5_b.jpg

It’s weird putting something together that needs moving parts. Quite fun actually. 😍

The wheelie bar and the rear diff parts then got greased and popped in place.

51130032139_2298bfcf35_b.jpg 51129960226_3f69e2048a_b.jpg

next up the drive bars got added. The engineering on this is brilliant.

51131072110_60083a8620_b.jpg

The next steps get you sorting out the radio gear. It’s all digital these days compared to the old radio and crystals of the 80s.

51130169623_cb7d94995b_b.jpg

It’s pretty straight forward to set up but it’s best to get everything lined up at this stage other wise you’ll have a lot of unscrewing to do. 😌

Deffo a lot more chunky wires than your regular Aeroplane. 🤪🤩🥳

51130031454_a76ea1370a_b.jpg

The second / front part of the chassis gets constructed next allowing the steering servo to get added and the rods pushed into place with ma big pliers. 

51131072070_78b900eab5_b.jpg

ok more tomorrow.  

Take care and Happy Modelling chums.

Johnny

• Like 9

Good stuff Johnny B) 

Back in the 70's my uncle had a couple of radio-controlled cars; not this one, indeed I'm not even sure they were Tamiya's. He bought one round one weekend and raced it up and down the farm track next to our house. And that's how he learned that Jack Russell Terriers will chase and kill anything :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I used to work in Beatties in Southampton and Bristol when Wild Willy was originally released.  Got to build a couple of shop display models and more than a few builds for customers.  We used to drive the shop models outside in East St and Penn St, traffic permitting.  Very much fun.  Glad they've improved the speed controller: they used to burn out readily.

Like you, I have long hankered after one of my own - but never been able to justify it.  In any case if I used it in the house or garden it would just annoy the hell out of the dogs and they'd end up chasing it.  But I do live at the quiet end of a long cul-de-sac with some open ground opposite, sooo.............

I wish you enormous fun with this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I used to work in Beatties in Southampton

I spent many happy hours in there - but I didn't work there!

• Like 1

Oh !! fulfilling a child dream is wonderfull Spad !!

Congrats !!

So, page one !! I've my ticket for a bar stool !!

Blue Chimay at the ready with cheese cubes !!

Let's roll Man !!

Here we are !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good stuff Johnny B) 

Back in the 70's my uncle had a couple of radio-controlled cars; not this one, indeed I'm not even sure they were Tamiya's. He bought one round one weekend and raced it up and down the farm track next to our house. And that's how he learned that Jack Russell Terriers will chase and kill anything :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

Ha! Brilliant. I’m not sure how zero will react to this one? We shall see. 😀

16 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I used to work in Beatties in Southampton and Bristol when Wild Willy was originally released.  Got to build a couple of shop display models and more than a few builds for customers.  We used to drive the shop models outside in East St and Penn St, traffic permitting.  Very much fun.  Glad they've improved the speed controller: they used to burn out readily.

Like you, I have long hankered after one of my own - but never been able to justify it.  In any case if I used it in the house or garden it would just annoy the hell out of the dogs and they'd end up chasing it.  But I do live at the quiet end of a long cul-de-sac with some open ground opposite, sooo.............

I wish you enormous fun with this one.

Oh man. Beatties was the place! My one was in Brum but what a grotto. So many out of reach goodies. 🙌❤️
sounds like you had fun. Maybe you could do it again? 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

You are such a fun-lover kid, Johnny.... :D  :D  :D  

Ciao

Have to be Giorgio. It’s the only way, ❤️

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in, of course - a change is as good as a rest and fulfilling a childhood dream? Priceless :) 

Thanks Mr B. Glad to have you along for the ride. It’ll be short but hopefully sweet. 

8 hours ago, echen said:

I spent many happy hours in there - but I didn't work there!

Awesome stores.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh !! fulfilling a child dream is wonderfull Spad !!

Congrats !!

So, page one !! I've my ticket for a bar stool !!

Blue Chimay at the ready with cheese cubes !!

Let's roll Man !!

Here we are !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheese and beer. Another childhood dream. Glad to haven you around dear CC.

• Like 3

Bless you guys for tagging along. It’s much appreciated. 
The front wheel assembly was next to get constructed.

51130169573_e318909106_b.jpg

Along with 4X shocks. I do have some oil filled dampers on back order so I’ll fit them when they arrive.

51130031744_8c5da46d96_b.jpg

Rear shocks fitted.

51130170138_0069414091_b.jpg

Front shocks fitted.

51130032874_d393ee8b7c_b.jpg

The next step had you tape the receiver and ESC “ElelecrtonicSpeedController” in place. Now. I stuck on the ESC but the receiver I might want to use in other kits. If I have fun enough, so I decided to buy some Velcro strip and attach the receiver with that. I can then pop it in and out of cars without buying new radio gear. (Well that’s the plan😜)

Next. Rear wheels.

51129960726_e4c91a1d7f_b.jpg

and then front wheels.

51129960696_140d6387cf_b.jpg

ooooh getting there.

more soon.

Johnny

• Like 10

The main bulk of the buggy is now complete. So time for the shell. I’ve looked into many different versions of this and they all go together differently. Some paint, some don’t, some brush most rattle can. Some modify with different characters. Lots and lots of choices but all look awesome!!  I’m going to not go crazy but I think I’m still going to prime. Pre and post shade and maybe even add a wash here and there. 🤗 Aaahhhhh this is more familiar territory.

51130032759_4bd5e50cd0_b.jpg

Gluing these together with TET you get some mighty seems.

51131072590_a4db1e002f_b.jpg

The one on the seems on the arms were removed with a scalpel blade.

51130032164_eb6796087e_b.jpg

The rest of the body had the same treatment. I also stick the head together a d sanded smooth with my new Flory sticks.

51130032239_dde9d613a6_b.jpg

“ Wot no seem” 🤣 primer soon.

Thanks for dropping by. I said it wouldn’t take long.

Johnny

• Like 8

A blast down memory lane for me! The Wild Willy was my first RC car. I got it when I was 14 and painted the Jeep in a Ferris camo scheme. I lost one of the kingpins for the front arms so it ended up a three wheeler. I've wanted to get a replacement since and almost did a couple weeks ago.

The last time Tamiya released the Willy's Wheeler or Honda City Turbo as they call now I picked one of those up. It's the same chassis as the Wild Willy just with smaller tires. 

IMG_20200628_105629-600x450.jpg

And here's his VW bus.

IMG_20200620_121539-600x450.jpg

I've managed to get my two sons interested in the hobby and the youngest last fall help build a Clodbuster. 

Looking forward to seeing the body done. 

Carl

• Like 5

The new Willy chassis is completely different to the old one, presumably a later design with the body backdated to fit.  I remember what was essentially a live back axle with diff on long coil sprung trailing arms pivoted at about mid-chassis.  But the original Willy and Wheeler were specifically designed to wheelie.  The battery was cantilevered out above and behind the back axle and there were spring tail bumpers.  It was hard to keep the front wheels on the ground, needing gentle acceleration.  One reason why the variable resisitor speed controllers burned out quickly: lots of running at low throttle.  Jam the throttle open and up came the front and off you went with no steering.  What could possibly go wrong.....  So does the new one pull wheelies?  I'm thinking not.  Wouldn't be quite the same.

The trailing arm ball pivots and rear spring mounts were weak points which failed regularly, but both were moulded integrally with the chassis tub and the only repair was a new chassis rebuild.  Did a few of those.

I managed to get hold of a spare driver from RiKo and used him on a Tamiya moped kit mated to some bits from other 1/12 bike kits to make a caricature Police motorcyclist as a presentation piece for a Police motorcyclist who was an excellent modeller and good friend of the Bristol shop.  RIP, Howard.  Might have some 35mm photos somewhere (remember those?).

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 3

Flashback to childhood! I had the Holiday Buggy when I was about 12, then got a Frog later, followed by a Fast Attack Vehicle that was painted blue (couldn't cope with the camo) which I later converted to a Wild One. Apart from the Frog, I still have the others mortal remains!  A few years ago I stumbled across an unbuilt FAV complete with period radio, battery and charger, never opened. I will probably sell it one day. I would have loved a Rough Rider, but it would probably be slower than the later cars. Cannot justify the price unfortunately. I bought my teenage son one of the cheaper Tamiya cars about 5 years ago, he used it about three times, I wore my ones out....                 

Colin

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

So does the new one pull wheelies?

The Honda City Turbo does. That's on the current WR-02 chassis that Tamiya uses on these cars. The battery is now mounted  longitudinally and is no longer the humpback style but it's still has a rearward bias to help it wheelie.

Tamiya has also adapted many of the chassis parts into  4WD and 6WD variants. 

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2021 at 00:27, FG2Si said:

A blast down memory lane for me! The Wild Willy was my first RC car. I got it when I was 14 and painted the Jeep in a Ferris camo scheme. I lost one of the kingpins for the front arms so it ended up a three wheeler. I've wanted to get a replacement since and almost did a couple weeks ago.

The last time Tamiya released the Willy's Wheeler or Honda City Turbo as they call now I picked one of those up. It's the same chassis as the Wild Willy just with smaller tires. 

IMG_20200628_105629-600x450.jpg

And here's his VW bus.

IMG_20200620_121539-600x450.jpg

I've managed to get my two sons interested in the hobby and the youngest last fall help build a Clodbuster. 

Looking forward to seeing the body done. 

Carl

Wow! Those look fantastic!!!! Especially like the Honda.

On 23/04/2021 at 01:21, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Joining in Johnny—should be fun—too much fun to resist🙌 Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin.

On 23/04/2021 at 01:59, Das Abteilung said:

The new Willy chassis is completely different to the old one, presumably a later design with the body backdated to fit.  I remember what was essentially a live back axle with diff on long coil sprung trailing arms pivoted at about mid-chassis.  But the original Willy and Wheeler were specifically designed to wheelie.  The battery was cantilevered out above and behind the back axle and there were spring tail bumpers.  It was hard to keep the front wheels on the ground, needing gentle acceleration.  One reason why the variable resisitor speed controllers burned out quickly: lots of running at low throttle.  Jam the throttle open and up came the front and off you went with no steering.  What could possibly go wrong.....  So does the new one pull wheelies?  I'm thinking not.  Wouldn't be quite the same.

The trailing arm ball pivots and rear spring mounts were weak points which failed regularly, but both were moulded integrally with the chassis tub and the only repair was a new chassis rebuild.  Did a few of those.

I managed to get hold of a spare driver from RiKo and used him on a Tamiya moped kit mated to some bits from other 1/12 bike kits to make a caricature Police motorcyclist as a presentation piece for a Police motorcyclist who was an excellent modeller and good friend of the Bristol shop.  RIP, Howard.  Might have some 35mm photos somewhere (remember those?).

Thanks, that’s a great amount of info on the original Ww. This new one. I say new I think it’s been a thing for quite some time now does indeed pop wheelies. While testing out if it worked I couldn’t keep the bloody thing on four paws. 😲

On 23/04/2021 at 09:47, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Flashback to childhood! I had the Holiday Buggy when I was about 12, then got a Frog later, followed by a Fast Attack Vehicle that was painted blue (couldn't cope with the camo) which I later converted to a Wild One. Apart from the Frog, I still have the others mortal remains!  A few years ago I stumbled across an unbuilt FAV complete with period radio, battery and charger, never opened. I will probably sell it one day. I would have loved a Rough Rider, but it would probably be slower than the later cars. Cannot justify the price unfortunately. I bought my teenage son one of the cheaper Tamiya cars about 5 years ago, he used it about three times, I wore my ones out....                 

Colin

It was definitely an 80s thing. I did have a Hornet back in the day as that was just within reach. I remember running it ragged. Great fun. 🤩 I loved the Frog.🐸

On 23/04/2021 at 17:49, FG2Si said:

The Honda City Turbo does. That's on the current WR-02 chassis that Tamiya uses on these cars. The battery is now mounted  longitudinally and is no longer the humpback style but it's still has a rearward bias to help it wheelie.

Tamiya has also adapted many of the chassis parts into  4WD and 6WD variants. 

He’s right. 🙌

• Like 3

Hey you lot. I am so busy at work at the moment modelling time is a rare treat.

Thanks for the interest in this build. It sounds like a few of you have similar love for Tamika RC. 😍

I have however got a little done so I’ll share the work.

Some more sprews.

51140085637_0a3aacd7b3_b.jpg

The parts on this are so BIG compared to what I’m used to.

These bits are really chunky with metal centres.

51141861390_f7abdd5a5a_b.jpg

Check this bit!!

51140085557_870ae80b51_b.jpg

😮

This Jerry can is great.

51140971868_2bcd91f77c_b.jpg

Alas from the rear my spider sense was tingling. 

51140759876_26df8da5d4_b.jpg

Shudder! 😩😲😮 I can’t leave it like that.  I marked out some tape. Popped it on some plasticard and made a filler.

51140971853_de1260b2ff_b.jpg

Added with a scratch band section.

51140971858_10f2ceaf81_b.jpg

Then primed.

51141533514_0c77c41c7d_b.jpg

And the filled section.

51140971808_db81f2ca6f_b.jpg

That’s a good fit.

51140971823_392bc40a9c_b.jpg

And from the filled side. I also filled a panel in the floor with plasticard.

51140972283_de4049e80a_b.jpg

Just need to clean up the seams on the smaller parts and I can begin to paint.

51141533974_7f2e1fbaed_b.jpg

All the main sun assemblies done.

51140972293_776585d472_b.jpg

This part is slightly different to the original WW .

51140760431_48e7c9cb56_b.jpg

the slats run horizontal rather than vertically. That grill looks like it’ll be a pain to paint so because you get the original grille.

51140972228_214f97c16e_b.jpg

I’m going to grind off the moulded in one and paint separately.

Behold the SIHRSC

51140760316_588652982b_b.jpg

Even using this took quite a while. Reminded me of @hendie’s vampire build. 🙀 Dust everywhere.

Eventually we got it thin enough to cut.

51141533804_5a418caef5_b.jpg

Trimmed.

51141533769_ea28b5696a_b.jpg

And smoothed.

51141533789_8120f1f3b5_b.jpg

Happy with that. Just need to do some priming and painting. Should look good when done.

51140760246_11c3568119_b.jpg

Thanks for dropping by.  More soon.

Johnny. 

• Like 11

This has got me wondering where my old Sand Scorcher Baja Bug got to. Might need to pay my parents a visit and ferret around in the loft, could it have survived for nearly 40 years? Might need to put some air in the tyres 😀

• Like 2

On 27/04/2021 at 05:38, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny - crikey, that's BIG! :) 

Thanks . Yes BIG is right. 

On 27/04/2021 at 06:02, giemme said:

Big indeed! Great work so far, Johnny :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G!

On 27/04/2021 at 23:42, Ned said:

This has got me wondering where my old Sand Scorcher Baja Bug got to. Might need to pay my parents a visit and ferret around in the loft, could it have survived for nearly 40 years? Might need to put some air in the tyres 😀

Do it.

On 28/04/2021 at 02:23, FG2Si said:

If you're interested, on Shapeways there are a couple vendors who have the correct vertical slat grille available. 

Carl

Ooooh nice! I think I’ll stick with this for now though. So much sanding. 🤩

• Like 2

Hey guys. May already? Bonkers.

Time for paint. I decided to prime in white.

51152073929_1d8733d96f_b.jpg

This way I’ll get more of a contrast.

51151521703_1ff6cbf782_b.jpg

When I do.

51152392700_dbaf56f65c_b.jpg

The pre shade.

51152074319_fb363c47ff_b.jpg

Used to pre shading on Aeroplanes I decided to go big and bold on this and see where it takes me.

51151289306_524555f598_b.jpg

As there are no panel lines as such I just hit the areas where darkness/ shadow or grime would collect. 

51151289861_86fd3d4bfd_b.jpg

Some of this will be silver and I’ll have to post shade but I figured. Screw it, I’m having fun. 😃

51151520898_e945dbdefc_b.jpg

I darkened around the areas where the spare wheel and the Jerry can would be fitted. Willy himself was great fun to pre shade.

51150614507_e48863148f_b.jpg

Arms.

51151520873_1d45eff899_b.jpg

Even went bonkers on Ze ‘elmet.

51152073594_1843f0178f_b.jpg 51151289616_52ca76b425_b.jpg

The original jerry can looked good.

51150614247_2083b9b480_b.jpg

Along with the spare.

51152073959_48218acbd2_b.jpg

Wind shield.

51151520928_d9b3b96a34_b.jpg

Dash.

51151289641_d3f4a2d8b0_b.jpg

Front grille.

51151289286_8d3cf147b1_b.jpg

Winch.

51150614482_bc7d2d9e23_b.jpg

Aaaaand the other bits.

51152073974_32725d03fb_b.jpg

I need to get a move on with this as I need to get Jim’s Mustang started. I also have my 1:1 scale living room to paint.

51150614527_374635b16b_b.jpg

It’s all go at Che’s Spadgent. 🤪

Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend and Bank holiday for those in the UK. 
More soon.

Johnny. 🥸

• Like 8