2 x 1/35 Takom FV432 Mk3 Bulldogs

I received one of the Takom FV432 Bulldog kits for Christmas from one of my daughters. As I really like both build options I decided to buy another kit my self and build both.

I built both kits from the box only adding Scorpion Miniature Models Bowman Antenna sets, AK Interactive Camo netting and some Tamiya sand bags together with some wiring to the IED Jammers.

Version 1 with the Enforcer Remote Controlled Weapons System /w 12.7mm Heavy Machine Gun.

spacer.png

While reading the Tankograd reference book "FV432 Variants" I seen that the 1st Battalion Scots Guards named their vehicles going to Iraq. These names included "Rob Roy", "Robert Bruce", "Hugh Swinton" and "Wallace". The Takom kit gives decals for "Rob Roy" & "Robert Bruce". I was very much interested in the "Wallace" version but couldn't find any other information online or on the Scots Guards website about the said vehicle. I wanted to know whether it was just "Wallace" or "William Wallace" In the end I decided to go with just "Wallace".

spacer.png

I used a 1/32 scale German Aircraft Cross for the back ground and Archer Dry Transfers for the lettering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tried to cut the AK Interactive Camo netting to size first and then soaked it in a solution of PVA glue and water. This dried hard overnight and I was able to trim it the following day with a new blade.

Version 2 with Platt MR550 Shielded Ring Mount & 7.62mm General Purpose Machine Gun.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A photo of the two together.

spacer.png

I tried to use various shades of Tamiya colours to make it look like fade on some of the surfaces that would be exposed to the sun.

The kit tracks are quite tricky even with the supplied jig for building them on. I have previously built 3 Takom FV432's and used Accurate Armour and Scorpion Miniature Models conversion kits together with Masterclubs Metal tracks. In hindsight I should have used them on these two also.

• Like 27

18 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Great work! A little bit out of my area of interest, but I like them both, especially the details.

Cheers,

Nenad

Thank you very much Nenad, I’m into 1/35 Modern British Armour, 1/35 WWII German Armour and 1/48 Military aircraft of any era 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, APA said:

Very very nice indeed. Like the cammo netting in particular. Well done 👍🏻😁

Andrew

Thank you Andrew, I actually didnt know about the netting until I got the Tankograd book 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Quality builds David. Impressive painting and weathering and I can't remember seeing that netting before but it looks really effective. Top work.👏👍

Cheers Stef, yes same here. The Tankograd books are brilliant for reference photos 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Very nicely done!👍

Thank you Ivan, I really enjoyed doing these two 

1 hour ago, viper-30 said:

Excellent effort sir lovely builds 

Cheers Viper, Meng Warrior next and then another Scimitar in Iraq scheme 

• Like 1

Very nice. My Nephew was with the Scots Dogs on Telic 1. 

The desert paint wore through to green/black quickly as it wasn't warm enough in the workshops in Germany for it to cure properly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice. My Nephew was with the Scots Dogs on Telic 1. 

The desert paint wore through to green/black quickly as it wasn't warm enough in the workshops in Germany for it to cure properly.

Cheers John, I was thinking that would have been the case. I have Tankograds books on both the FV432 Variants & FV510 Warrior TES(H). The photos taken of the FV432 must have been very early in the deployment as other than dirt and a few dents in the bar armour the vehicles are in good order. This was the option i went for with just some sun fade. Now the FV510 is a totally different issue. The photo show the paint blistered and peeling off in great chunks and not only were the troops would climb or stand. I have the Meng Warrior started and that will be these are the images I will be using. Thanks again for looking.  

1 minute ago, David Wallace said:

Cheers John, I was thinking that would have been the case. I have Tankograds books on both the FV432 Variants & FV510 Warrior TES(H). The photos taken of the FV432 must have been very early in the deployment as other than dirt and a few dents in the bar armour the vehicles are in good order. This was the option i went for with just some sun fade. Now the FV510 is a totally different issue. The photo show the paint blistered and peeling off in great chunks and not only were the troops would climb or stand. I have the Meng Warrior started and that will be these are the images I will be using. Thanks again for looking.  

Sorry John, as a matter of interest, Maybe you could kindly ask your nephew about the vehicle called "Wallace" and if he knows anything about it and indeed any photos? 

1 hour ago, David Wallace said:

Sorry John, as a matter of interest, Maybe you could kindly ask your nephew about the vehicle called "Wallace" and if he knows anything about it and indeed any photos? 

I can try.

There is a very good book of photos called "Shot and Captured" (out of print now) full of photos taken by embedded photographers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John_W said:

I can try.

There is a very good book of photos called "Shot and Captured" (out of print now) full of photos taken by embedded photographers.

Cheers John, I’ll look out for that book. 

4 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely builds of an overlooked vehicle. Got one on my wish list!

Pete

Thank you very much Pete, would love to do another one. Hopefully I can get around to it sometime 

Very nice build!

On 4/25/2021 at 9:40 AM, David Wallace said:

1st Bn Scots Guards and Scots Dragoon Guards are two different units. The Scots Dragoon Guards are a Cavalry Regiment and operated Challenger 2s up until their recent re-role to light-cav. Scots Guards are an armoured infantry regiment and operated the Bulldog (432 mk3). The bulldog was not involved in the invasion or early Telics though as it wasn't rolled out until 2006. 

Shot & Captured has some great images of Scots DG if you can get your hands on one.

On 28/04/2021 at 12:54, phildagreek said:

Looks good & different!

Cheers Phil

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Really enjoyed soaking these up :clap2:

Rob

Thank you Rob 

6 hours ago, WYATT said:

nicely done, I hope takom pull their finger out and re-issue the 432 i need a few more lol  

Cheers Wyatt, yes I hope they hurry up. I need 3 more to do what I want. AFV Scimitar is getting scarce also. Ive two in my stash and need another 2.