1/72nd Airfix Spitfire MkVc using the new High Planes correction set,.... RAAF markings ****FINISHED***

51 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Hello Tony, is it the good spinner for the Malta's Spit Vc ? And where do you have find the set ?

Alain

Hello Alaine,.... yes it is the De Havilland propeller which was mostly used over Malta,.. the set can be bought direct from High Planes; 

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-plus-vs-spitfire-mk-vc-raaf-defence-of-australia-detail-set-accessories-1-72/

I think they might also sell the bits separately?

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hello Alaine,.... yes it is the De Havilland propeller which was mostly used over Malta,.. the set can be bought direct from High Planes; 

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-plus-vs-spitfire-mk-vc-raaf-defence-of-australia-detail-set-accessories-1-72/

I think they might also sell the bits separately?

Cheers

Tony 

Thank you very much for your help

Alain

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Thank you very much for your help

Alain

No worries mate. 

9 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Good morning Tony, I had just order one, it was the last one. 

Alain

Crikey that was lucky,..... well done! 

• Thanks 1

Hiya Folks,.... a bit of an update,......

I started off by cutting the cannon bay panels out, to replace them with the resin replacements,.. I`ve also started to paint the resin wheels, exhausts etc;

DSCF0626-NEW.jpg

And made a start on the pre painted cockpit too,..... I decided to cut out the cockpit entrance door,..... so need to find a replacement panel as the kit part is too thick to be used,..... so maybe an idea for another part for this set if it is re vamped at some time?

DSCF0624-NEW.jpg

A close up of the kit cockpit,.... with the HPM resin exhausts and one of the resin wheels,.. part painted. 

DSCF0628-NEW.jpg

And the fuselage has been joined now,..... while both of the new resin cannon bay doors with narrow bulge are now in place,..... they took a bit of fettling to get to fit,... but nothing too demanding;

DSCF0631-NEW.jpg

The wings being assembled,.... with the wheel well bulkheads in place. The HPM resin spinner has also been assembled and test fitted,.... the blades can be seen behind. They are very thin and look excellent but are slightly bent,..... however,... this is mentioned in the instructions and HMP advise to just heat them with hot water and to bend to shape,..... so no worries there;

DSCF0633-NEW.jpg

A close up of the excellent DH spinner showing its much better pointed shape and also the resin cannon bay door in place;

DSCF0634-NEW.jpg

The wings were then assembled,... added to the fuselage and the tail feathers fitted along with the Vokes filter under the nose. To make the model more realistic I have sawn the tailplanes and re positioned the elevators in a drooped position;

DSCF0636-NEW.jpg

A better view of the tail;

DSCF0638-NEW.jpg

So,.... that is it so far,.... time to leave it to dry,.... ready to sand at a later stage!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 18

Nice update Tony, she’s virtually completed! I’d be happy to get to that stage after two weeks of solid modelling. I also like the dropped elevators, it creates so much character at the back and ought to be separate parts on all models IMO
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Tony,  very quick too. The set from HPM looks great and the model looks wonderful . 

Chris.

Cheers Chris,....... yes it is a nice set, it helps complete the Airfix kit well. 

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice update Tony, she’s virtually completed! I’d be happy to get to that stage after two weeks of solid modelling. I also like the dropped elevators, it creates so much character at the back and ought to be separate parts on all models IMO
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,... the pre painting beforehand does help to get assembly done more quickly,.... plus the kit is quite simple and goes together well. Glad you like the elevators,..... with the earlier Spits it is quite easy to do,..... the later counter balanced ones are harder to separate.  Shame the Eduard 1/72nd Spit``s dont have seperate elevators really.  

• Like 2

Great progress, Tony, as Dave says you're almost done!

It's shaping up to be a great set, looks like I've missed out on the first run, though!

Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great progress, Tony, as Dave says you're almost done!

It's shaping up to be a great set, looks like I've missed out on the first run, though!

Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark,... oh I don`t know about nearly done,.... a long way to go yet mate! 

Didn`t realise that they were almost sold out until Alain said he had bought the last one,.... I`m sure Christopher will have some more ready soon?  

• Like 1

Having decided upon building this kit as Caldwell`s CRC,...... I`ll be using the decals for the silver 85 Sqn RAAF aircraft from this set on a KP Spitfire Mk.Vc,.... this kit has better surface detail than the Airfix kit so should show this scheme off well,.... hopefully,.... here is the link;

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Blimey! You don’t hang around. 

Wonderful stuff.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,..... wait until you see what I`ve been up to today LOL!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hiya Folks,...... been busy today with the two KP Spits as well as this Airfix/HPM one,...... here is where they were at lunch time,... Airfix/HPM to the left;

DSCF0667-NEW.jpg

And here it is closer,...partially sanded but with some filler added;

DSCF0668-NEW.jpg

DSCF0669-NEW.jpg

Then got into more sanding,.... the two KP Spit`s have had a piece of plastic card added to their nose as the subject aircraft,... (one of which will be the silver decal option from this set) had an oil collector ring behind the spinner,..... they will be sanded to shape later. The KP propellers can be seen in the background and they had rather thick blades,... plus the spinners are quite bulbous,.... more so than the Airfix kit! 

DSCF0670-NEW.jpg

Sanding finished,....

DSCF0674-NEW.jpg

I have next added a coat of Humbrol 29 Dark Earth,...... but I`m still trying to decide whether Caldwells CRC had RAF Dark Earth or RAAF Earth Brown camo,..... the brown and green sections on the real thing do tend to be quite dark and of a similar tone! 

DSCF0685-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 12

I'm a bit late to the party, in fact I suspect there's no seats left, but I'll stand at the back!

What's not to like about watching Tony knock another spitfire together and learning something new?

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wow! Tony, these are looking great! You've got those elves hard at it ;)

Seriously, though, you've made great progress and I'm quite jealous!

Cheers,

Mark

LOL... thanks Mark,.... yeah cracking the whip today mate!! 

8 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I'm a bit late to the party, in fact I suspect there's no seats left, but I'll stand at the back!

What's not to like about watching Tony knock another spitfire together and learning something new?

Cheers

Neil

Cheers Neil,..... nothing you don`t already know tenfold yerself bud! 

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent work Tony, crikey another two Spitfires too, wowsers fella, you have been busy today. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... yeah been grounded today so had a day to kill! 

• Like 2

Positively zipping along. You mentioned that the kit spinner and exhausts are too big. Is this very noticeable as I can see a ‘few’ of these making their way to me sometime.

Trevor

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Positively zipping along. You mentioned that the kit spinner and exhausts are too big. Is this very noticeable as I can see a ‘few’ of these making their way to me sometime.

Trevor

Cheers Trevor,.... yes the exhausts of the Airfix kit stick out too much and the spinners are wrong,.... the DH spinner is too bulbous and the Rotol spinner is too long. I have altered these myself in previous builds,.... but this set include replacement items plus narrow cannon bay covers and two sets of wheels which are better than those in the kit..... plus  a rear view mirror which is missing from the kit,..... plus decals for 3 x Aussie Spits.

If you do a search here on BM for Airfix Spitfires by myself you should find a few builds,..... if they are of interest

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Another update,.... rightly or wrongly,.... I`ve decided upon using RAAF Earth Brown on the uppers,.... so added a coat from Polly Scale. I`ve also started on the spinner,.... done the back plate brown and roughly applied a white ring,.... I`ll tidy it with black using a small brush,.... I hate painting spinner rings!

DSCF0692-NEW.jpg 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great Tony,  the spinner looks good too, although I know what you mean, they are awkward little blighters to paint.

Great work. 

Chris

Cheers bud,.... I don`t think I`ll ever master them,..... a bit like rigging LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1