1/72nd Airfix Spitfire MkVc using the new High Planes correction set,.... RAAF markings ****FINISHED***

Hiya Folks,

As many my know I`ve built quite a few of the new 1/7nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc kits and although a basically excellent kit,.....I have mentioned some of the shortcomings too,..... namely the wheels (poor hubs), propeller spinners (too large), Exhausts (ditto!) and a lack of a rear view mirror,... plus the fact that only the large cannon bay blister is catered for,..... well a new set by HPM has catered for all of these. 

At a UK cost of £10.49 some may say that it sounds expensive,....... however it also includes decals for three interesting and well researched RAAF options,...... how much does a decent decal sheet cost on its own these days,...... and the set includes two sets of wheels,.... one with hub detail and one with hub covers,..... and how much do people pay for wheel sets these days? These alone cater for the price,..... and you get the alterations to make the Airfix kit look much better to boot,..... so win win as far as I`m concerned!

Here are the parts with the decals and comprehensive instructions,.... with a photo included for each decal option too!   

DSCF0600.jpg

A closer view of the resin parts;

DSCF0602.jpg

This view shows the instructions for the other two decal options;

DSCF0604.jpg

And there is an excellent stencil placement guide too;

DSCF0606.jpg

I`m still waiting for my Airfix Spitfire kit to arrive,...... strangely the conversion set has arrived from overseas quicker than this kit from a UK retailer!!! But when it does arrive,.... I`ll crack on with this,..... I`,m torn between the silver scheme or Killer Caldwells machine,..... so I may end up building both! 

Cheers for now,

Tony 

EDIT,.... If anybody is interested I`m also building a couple of  KP Spitfire Mk.Vc`s here in RAAF markings,.... one of which should hopefully be using the decals for the silver 85 Sqn Spit from this set;

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 26

Third seat in the front row! Watching intently, Tony - I saw this set a day or two ago and thought it looked like a good set to get!

Which option are you planning on doing?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,..... I`ll probably go for the silver one,...... although I do like Caldwells CRC too! Hopefully the Spitfire kit will arrive soon,...... along with another Beaufort! 

Here is a very good review of the set;

http://magazine.ipmsnsw.com/35-1/hpm/hpm p1.htm?fbclid=IwAR07y4a9klleiRHCsxiG2p_18ZPr3tU3uVOcnfK1Mfejq7UCtioA5OPKGIk

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is great and as you get all those bits the price doesn't seem that bad at all.   Only trouble is I will have to get another Spitfire model and sneak it in . Oh man I'm gonna get into trouble again Tony!!!

Looking forward to this.

Chris

• Haha 5

Wow! Arrived too late for the front row, but will sit quietly at a table and take copious notes. Wish I had known about the HPM Vc detail set when I ordered my R-1830 Beaufort engines/cowlings! I say go for A58-250- the bare metal one, Tony- you need to use up the last of the aluminum paint in your Tamiya AS12 rattle can! :giggle: Me, I am bonkers for Caldwell's JL394!

Mike

• Like 2

It’s starting to sound like the yearly school class photo. I know the front row is already taken, however we may need to re-jig this in traditional height order, so all you small kiddies come towards the front and off to the side please.

Now I too have just acquired this set and although I initially thought it was a tad pricey, Tony does make some valid points when you consider what we all pay for individual items. Now I’ve got three Airfix kits at a mates place waiting for me to pick them up, although I’m hesitant to collect them prior to finishing off my Beaufort.. my mind can wander quite a bit you know! 

Great to see this set on display here. Christopher, who runs High Planes Models is doing an excellent job and deserves to have his products promoted by probably the worlds most renowned and prolific modeller.

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It’s starting to sound like the yearly school class photo. I know the front row is already taken, however we may need to re-jig this in traditional height order, so all you small kiddies come towards the front and off to the side please.

I'm only 5'4", so I'll keep my place in the front row.

Chris

• Haha 3

High Planes seem to be hitting all the right notes in the right order, to paraphrase Les Dawson.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on Tony, from the back row with the other troublemakers!

Edge

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! Arrived too late for the front row, but will sit quietly at a table and take copious notes. Wish I had known about the HPM Vc detail set when I ordered my R-1830 Beaufort engines/cowlings! I say go for A58-250- the bare metal one, Tony- you need to use up the last of the aluminum paint in your Tamiya AS12 rattle can! :giggle: Me, I am bonkers for Caldwell's JL394!

Mike

Hiya Mike,..... I`m still in two minds about which one to do,.... I`ve recently built a 452 Sqn Spit in 1/72nd using the Airfix kit,.... and I`ve done the silver one in 1/48th,..... As seen here,... although I incorrectly used bulged cannon bay panels;

DSCF0617-NEW.jpg

And although I don`t normally go for ace`s aircraft,....I am a fan of Clive Caldwell and I do fancy doing one of his Spit`s,.... I`m just researching the scheme now and cannot decide whether the codes are a bit too small? We`ll see,..... the silver one could well be my choice yet!!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I too have just acquired this set and although I initially thought it was a tad pricey, Tony does make some valid points when you consider what we all pay for individual items. Now I’ve got three Airfix kits at a mates place waiting for me to pick them up, although I’m hesitant to collect them prior to finishing off my Beaufort.. my mind can wander quite a bit you know! 

Great to see this set on display here. Christopher, who runs High Planes Models is doing an excellent job and deserves to have his products promoted by probably the worlds most renowned and prolific modeller.

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Crikey Dave,.... I`ll stick that tenner in the post asap mate!! I think "probably the worlds most renowned and prolific modeller" is over egging the pudding to be fair,.... but thanks anyway! 

Glad you agree with my comment on price,.... and good luck with your Spit mate. 

I totally agree with you about Christopher,.... a very good bloke and doing a great job. 

Cheers bud,

Tony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

This looks interesting mate, you can never have too many Spitfires. Think I'll stand at the back...

Colin

Cheers Colin,..... at least you are tall enough bud! 

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm liking the look of this, reckon I'll hang around for a bit. That update set looks rather nice.

Steve.

Thanks Steve!

2 hours ago, Edge said:

High Planes seem to be hitting all the right notes in the right order, to paraphrase Les Dawson.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on Tony, from the back row with the other troublemakers!

Edge

Thanks Edge,.... yeah I agree,.... and looking forward to the Beaufort sets too. The quality is excellent. 

Cheers for the encouragement everybody,.... I`d better get on with it now,.... because the Spitfire kit has just arrived!!!

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,...... I know most have already seen my Airfix Spitfire WIP`s so I won`t go over too much,..... but here is the kit;

DSCF0619-NEW.jpg

DSCF0618-NEW.jpg

DSCF0620-NEW.jpg

The kit is good quality with crisp panel lines which are not as deep as they have been in the past,...... it has optional wing upper surfaces with clipped or standard wing tips,.... but unfortunately just the early bulged cannon bay cover on both sets,..... hence the optional parts in the HPM set. 

So,.... I`ll start by pre painting the interior parts and cry on researching the colour schemes,.....

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

35 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I totally agree with you about Christopher,.... a very good bloke and doing a great job. 

I've ordered a couple of things from Christopher, and what can I say but, "what a gentleman!" Polite, responsive, incredibly helpful - if only more manufacturers/suppliers were like him! I try to order direct, hopefully then he'll get a bit more profit on his items, which should encourage new ventures. My most recent purchase was his DAP Beau' Mk.21 set - superb! Definitely got this Spit set on my shopping list :) 

Anyway, Tony, back to more important things!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

On 21/04/2021 at 20:21, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

As many my know I`ve built quite a few of the new 1/7nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc kits and although a basically excellent kit,.....I have mentioned some of the shortcomings too,..... namely the wheels (poor hubs), propeller spinners (too large), Exhausts (ditto!) and a lack of a rear view mirror,... plus the fact that only the large cannon bay blister is catered for,..... well a new set by HPM has catered for all of these. 

At a UK cost of £12.95 some may sy that it sounds expensive,....... however it also includes decals for three interesting and well researched RAAF options,...... how much does a decent decal sheet cost on its own these days,...... and the set includes two sets of wheels,.... one with hub detail and one with hub covers,..... and how much do people pay for wheel sets these days? These alone cater for the price,..... and you get the alterations to make the Airfix kit look much better to boot,..... so win win as far as I`m concerned!

Here are the parts with the decals and comprehensive instructions,.... with a photo included for each decal option too!   

DSCF0600.jpg

A closer view of the resin parts;

DSCF0602.jpg

This view shows the instructions for the other two decal options;

DSCF0604.jpg

And there is an excellent stencil placement guide too;

DSCF0606.jpg

I`m still waiting for my Airfix Spitfire kit to arrive,...... strangely the conversion set has arrived from overseas quicker than this kit from a UK retailer!!! But when it does arrive,.... I`ll crack on with this,..... I`,m torn between the silver scheme or Killer Caldwells machine,..... so I may end up building both! 

Cheers for now,

Tony 

Hello Tony, is it the good spinner for the Malta's Spit Vc ? And where do you have find the set ?

Alain