1/72nd Airfix Spitfire MkVc using the new High Planes correction set,.... RAAF markings ****FINISHED***

19 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Tony,

thanks for the comparison - I know you mentioned reprofiling the Airfix spinner in your previous builds, but wow, that's quite a long way off, isn't it? The HPM exhausts are much shallower, too, aren't they?

They're really coming together now. The camouflage looks great, and I like the white leading edge ID strips! Makes for a very distinctive finished model. Is that a Fox Moth back left?

Cheers,

Mark

No worries Mark and yeah,.... it takes a lot of whittling down that spinner! The HPM exhausts are much shallower,.... we`ll see what they look like on the model soon! 

Oh yes,... it is a Fox Moth mate,.... will be an ambulance wearing RAF/IAF SEAC markings.

Glad you like the scheme,.... yeah the white  id mrkings do stand out don`t they!

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

Looking at the comparison photo for the spinner and exhaust, the former is way out. Maybe a couple of hours just staring at photos compared to CAD renditions before moulds were cut, could have picked this up.

I wish I had your talent with a hairy stick and as ever your results are excellent.

Trevor

• Like 2

Spitfires look absolutely fab Tony and thanks for posting the parts comparison too.  That is quite a difference in Spinners!!!

Now it is greatvto see the Fox Moth on the go too  you kept that one quiet.   Are you going to rig it?  I know how much you love rigging!!!

Is that also a Sea Balliol in the backround too?

Great work fella.

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Looking at the comparison photo for the spinner and exhaust, the former is way out. Maybe a couple of hours just staring at photos compared to CAD renditions before moulds were cut, could have picked this up.

I wish I had your talent with a hairy stick and as ever your results are excellent.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,.... brushing is just lots and lots of practice and staying current,..... leave it for a while and go back to it again and the results look rubbish!! 

Yeah the Airfix spinner is quite bulbous,.... but there were a few styles I think,.... so it might be better for one of them? The exhausts on the Airfix kit look OK if you cut them down before fitting them,.... but the HPM ones do look more refined. 

55 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Spitfires look absolutely fab Tony and thanks for posting the parts comparison too.  That is quite a difference in Spinners!!!

Now it is greatvto see the Fox Moth on the go too  you kept that one quiet.   Are you going to rig it?  I know how much you love rigging!!!

Is that also a Sea Balliol in the backround too?

Great work fella.

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... yeah quite a difference indeed mate! 

Been tootling along with the Fox Moth for a while,.... I have been looking for a photo to use as reference which I remember seeing years ago showing one picking up Gurkha wounded,.... but I cannot find it anywhere!! Yeah I`ll be rigging it,.... oh joy,.... haha!!

Yeah it is an Alley Cat Sea Balliol,..... been on the shelf of doom for years after the metal undercarriage legs snapped and I couldn`t repair them. Been waiting ages for some replacements and they have just arrived,..... the model has taken something of a beating while on the shelf with tailplanes knocked off etc and the silver is brush painted and wearing off in sections,..... we`ll have to see with this one! I`ve also got a Sword Re.2001 on the go too! 

All the best bud,

Tony 

• Like 2

Great to see all these builds going on Tony.  The Fox Moth is interesting looking forward to seeing this  as well as all the other lovely models of course and hope tge Sea Balliol gets repaired too.  

Chris

• Like 2

Another update,..... got the decals on!

For the Airfix/HPM model I chose to use the decal option for Clive Caldwell`s CRC and one of the other decal options from the HPM set was also applied to a silver painted KP Spit.

I have to say that the codes for CRC seem a little bit off to me,..... maybe a tad too small and thin,.... I`m not sure, which is a shame.... but see what you think,.... here is the model during decalling;

DSCF0767.jpg

DSCF0769-NEW.jpg

Not sure if this is the same CRC,.... Caldwell had at least three of them!

clive-caldwell-possibly-JL394.jpg

The photo also shows that the upper wing roundels were altered at some stage to have a smaller area of white,.... so rather than use the wing decals from the set I used some roundels from a Special Hobby Vengeance. It is very hard to tell,..... but it looks as if the larger roundel was reduced in size,..... so that is what I chose to represent,...... just personal preference.

DSCF0774-NEW.jpg

DSCF0776-NEW.jpg

DSCF0775-NEW.jpg

Here is the KP Spit wearing the 85 Sqn decals from the HPM set;

DSCF0773-NEW.jpg

And here are all three of the Aussie Spit`s that I am currently building;

DSCF0770-NEW.jpg

Next job,..... try to sort out the white band on the Airfix/HPM Spit,..... then add some matt vrnish to the models when they are dry, ready for some weathering,

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Tony, 

These Spits are looking great and I especially like the ZP 'Delta' one with large wing roundels. Now you asked for feedback about those Caldwell code letters and I'm afraid I share your thoughts on their small / thin size. I'm wondering if a smaller fuselage roundel may change confuse things so that they appear to be in better proportion.. not sure? Come to think of it, isn't there another set of CRC letters in one of the early DK Decals Spitfire sheets? Do you have this set spare and can rob the letters off that one? 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony, 

These Spits are looking great and I especially like the ZP 'Delta' one with large wing roundels. Now you asked for feedback about those Caldwell code letters and I'm afraid I share your thoughts on their small / thin size. I'm wondering if a smaller fuselage roundel may change confuse things so that they appear to be in better proportion.. not sure? Come to think of it, isn't there another set of CRC letters in one of the early DK Decals Spitfire sheets? Do you have this set spare and can rob the letters off that one? 

Cheers.. Dave  

Thanks Dave,..... the only DK RAAF Spit sheet I have has only one CRC Spit and it is silver!! I tried the codes from the Eduard Mk.VIII `Aussie Eight' set,... there are two CRC`s,,,,, but although one of these options has codes which do look more like what I wanted,... the R was rounded and so the wrong style!! I`ve had a look through my generic code sheets and I don`t have anything to match in RAAF Sky Blue or even White!!  Bit of a shame really!

Hope you didn`t mind what I said about your Beaufort mate,.... what I was trying to say was that it might have been the blue background which made the green look darker,..... as it looked great in some other photos,..... got to say I`m really looking forward to seeing your early Beaufort mate,..... I think that it might only have had one turret gun too?

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Dave,..... the only DK RAAF Spit sheet I have has only one CRC Spit and it is silver!! I tried the codes from the Eduard Mk.VIII `Aussie Eight' set,... there are two CRC`s,,,,, but although one of these options has codes which do look more like what I wanted,... the R was rounded and so the wrong style!! I`ve had a look through my generic code sheets and I don`t have anything to match in RAAF Sky Blue or even White!!  Bit of a shame really!

Hope you didn`t mind what I said about your Beaufort mate,.... what I was trying to say was that it might have been the blue background which made the green look darker,..... as it looked great in some other photos,..... got to say I`m really looking forward to seeing your early Beaufort mate,..... I think that it might only have had one turret gun too?

Cheers,

Tony 

You're right about the DK decals sheet... they are Black letters now that I think of it! Man I'm losing it on the memory front!! 

No need to apologise Tony and I agree with what you've written. I have just replied to all the comments in my Beaufort WIP and have already picked up on the one gun issue as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

A trio of plastic treasures Tony. They are looking good, well done mate.

Colin

Cheers Colin,.... very kind mate. 

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes very nice indeed Tony  they look great. Cracking work as usual fella.

I have a parcel arrive today and I am hoping it is the HPM set, fingers crossed.  

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... let`s hope so eh! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes very nice indeed Tony  they look great. Cracking work as usual fella.

I have a parcel arrive today and I am hoping it is the HPM set, fingers crossed.  

Chris

Mine is blockade at the custom, as always with goods from overseas.

Is Singapore always in the commonwealth ?

Alain

• Like 1

I got a message last week from Royal Mail advising it had cleared customs and was ready for delivery which arrived yesterday.  I notice mine has a postage label from Germany, which is interesting.  

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Mine is blockade at the custom, as always with goods from overseas.

Is Singapore always in the commonwealth ?

Alain

Nothing to do with the Commonwealth mate,..... but yes,.... Singapore are members. I take it that are stuck with Belgian customs? They seem to be making a lot of trouble for you. 

54 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Nothing to do with the Commonwealth mate,..... but yes,.... Singapore are members. I take it that are stuck with Belgian customs? They seem to be making a lot of trouble for you. 

A lot, from everywhere except  European Union.

Alain

Another update,...... got some matt varnish brushed on today,.... got a bit of weathering done and got the resin propeller, exhausts and the kit undercarriage with resin wheels fitted with hub covers installed,.... I stippled some Medium Sea Grey on to the fuselage start to replicate the lead deposits eminating from the exhausts when flying at lean mixure,.... as seen in photos of the real JL394;

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

And all three models,..... including the pair of KP Spits,.... with the silver one wearing optionl decals from the HPM set;

DSCF0784.jpg

Almost there now,.... cheers

Tony

• Like 11

Jez Tony your eleves have been busy again I'm barely finished one kit outstanding work and information as always your like a mini Lord Beaverbrook with the output and its fantastic to watch and learn with each build. 

As always thanks for sharing mate 

Eamonn

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great work Tony,  they look fantastic. 

My set arrived from HPM and looks great for the money.   Thanks for sharing the info re the HPM, they should be well chuffed with you as you have boosted their sales for those!!!

Chris

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Jez Tony your eleves have been busy again I'm barely finished one kit outstanding work and information as always your like a mini Lord Beaverbrook with the output and its fantastic to watch and learn with each build. 

As always thanks for sharing mate 

Eamonn

LOL,.... thanks Eamonn,.... yeah I keep cracking the whip,.... no rest for the wicked!! Glad you re enjoying them mate.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Tony,  they look fantastic. 

My set arrived from HPM and looks great for the money.   Thanks for sharing the info re the HPM, they should be well chuffed with you as you have boosted their sales for those!!!

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... glad you`ve got your set and are pleased with it,.... you now have to decide which decal option you are going to go for!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

Another update,...... got some matt varnish brushed on today,.... got a bit of weathering done and got the resin propeller, exhausts and the kit undercarriage with resin wheels fitted with hub covers installed,.... I stippled some Medium Sea Grey on to the fuselage start to replicate the lead deposits eminating from the exhausts when flying at lean mixure,.... as seen in photos of the real JL394;

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

And all three models,..... including the pair of KP Spits,.... with the silver one wearing optionl decals from the HPM set;

DSCF0784.jpg

Almost there now,.... cheers

Tony

Finally the pack is arrived, direct from Singapore.

And I had receive a letter from the Belgian Post to tell me that the import rules are going to change once again from 01jully.

More VAT and taxes    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alain

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Finally the pack is arrived, direct from Singapore.

And I had receive a letter from the Belgian Post to tell me that the import rules are going to change once again from 01jully.

More VAT and taxes    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alain

That is the good old EU for you,.... got to say I`m glad we have left,....... love Europe,..... hate the EU!! 

• Like 2

Right then,.... the model is finished with the rear view mirror fitted. Instead of the HPM propeller blades I fitted the Airfix propeller instead as I preferred these,..... but that is just my own taste. I think that the HPM set does add to the Airfi Spitfire most of the things that the kit is missing and they are good qualty too,.....if there is one thing that I could add to this set it is probably a resin side entrance door,.... I thought that I had a few in the spares box but all I could find was a slightly tubby one cut from an old kit;

DSCF0921_NEW.jpg

DSCF0916_NEW.jpg

DSCF0915_NEW.jpg

DSCF0914_NEW.jpg

DSCF0913_NEW.jpg

DSCF0896_NEW.jpg

DSCF0894_NEW.jpg

And here are the three Spits together,... Airfix/HPM and the pair from KP ;

DSCF0920_NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire MkVc using the new High Planes correction set,.... RAAF markings ****FINISHED***
41 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Right then,.... the model is finished with the rear view mirror fitted. Instead of the HPM propeller blades I fitted the Airfix propeller instead as I preferred these,..... but that is just my own taste. I think that the HPM set does add to the Airfi Spitfire most of the things that the kit is missing and they are good qualty too,.....if there is one thing that I could add to this set it is probably a resin side entrance door,.... I thought that I had a few in the spares box but all I could find was a slightly tubby one cut from an old kit;

DSCF0921_NEW.jpg

DSCF0916_NEW.jpg

DSCF0915_NEW.jpg

DSCF0914_NEW.jpg

DSCF0913_NEW.jpg

DSCF0896_NEW.jpg

DSCF0894_NEW.jpg

And here are the three Spits together,... Airfix/HPM and the pair from KP ;

DSCF0920_NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Well done, super models