Tupolev Tu-114, Aeroflot giant of the 1960's

I built the model of the Tupolev Tu-114 a couple of years ago. The history behind this turboprop airliner is truly unique. The plane was designed in the late 1950’s on the basis of the Soviet strategic bomber Tu-95 "Bear" . The specifications of the plane were massive: hight 15,5 m. length 53 m. and wing span 51 m. The four 14.800 hp turboprops drove eight counter rotating propellers and the diameter of these ”widmills” was 5,6 m. The max. speed was 870 km/h. The noise level inside the cabin could reach up to 110 db. The plane was operated by Aeroflot (and in co-operation with Japan airlines in the Moscow-Tokyo route). There was a restaurant and multiple sleeping compartments and downstairs a fully operational kitchen.

I built the model out of a high quality 1/144 scaleresin kit of the Russian manufacturer RusAir. I added a DC-3 model of the same scale to one of the pictures to give a clue of the dimensions of the giant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
A typo in the title
  • Like 60
  • Confused 1

• Einar changed the title to Tupolev Tu-114, Aeroflot giant of the 1960's

Now that really is impressive! What a wonderful model of a fascinating aircraft.

Although I'm generally not a fan of resin kits I love RusAir. I have the Tu-114 in my stash and after seeing yours I really must get round to building it instead of just admiring it!

Thanks for sharing

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Skodadriver said:

Now that really is impressive! What a wonderful model of a fascinating aircraft.

Although I'm generally not a fan of resin kits I love RusAir. I have the Tu-114 in my stash and after seeing yours I really must get round to building it instead of just admiring it!

Thanks for sharing

Dave G

Thanks Dave! The kit is of very good quality but there are some ajustments, sanding and puttying to be made.

Einar

3 minutes ago, Einar said:

Thanks Dave! The kit is of very good quality but there are some ajustments, sanding and puttying to be made.

Einar

That's inevitable although in my experience the fit of RusAir kits is generally pretty good. Are there any particular problems to watch for with the Tu-114?

1 minute ago, Skodadriver said:

That's inevitable although in my experience the fit of RusAir kits is generally pretty good. Are there any particular problems to watch for with the Tu-114?

The stage where you have to have lots of caution and dry fitting are the engines. Be careful not to cut too much resin off the stubs. Otherwise the fit of the kit is ok.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Very nice. I have  a thing for Russian airliners, and have managed to get a few of the VEB Plasticart 1/100 scale kits, including a Tu-114.

Certainly an impressive beast.

Thank you!

This is magnificent  !!

I really must get a kit of this to display alongside my Revell "Bear" of similar scale, to show its parentage.

Only ever saw one, at Heathrow in the 60's, perhaps the usual Tu-104 was being given a rest.......The noise was incredible !!

Dunno how passengers would have slept with the in-cabin noise.......perhaps spaced out on vodka.....

A lovely model, Einar !

Rog

1 hour ago, roginoz said:

This is magnificent  !!

I really must get a kit of this to display alongside my Revell "Bear" of similar scale, to show its parentage.

Only ever saw one, at Heathrow in the 60's, perhaps the usual Tu-104 was being given a rest.......The noise was incredible !!

Dunno how passengers would have slept with the in-cabin noise.......perhaps spaced out on vodka.....

A lovely model, Einar !

Rog

Thanks Rog,

Unfortunately I never had a chance to see or for that matter to hear that beast😄

Cheers

Einar

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Stunning build of this impressive giant.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

That's a beautiful build.

Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another stunner Einar

That's one massive beast even in the smaller scale erittain hyvin tehty :clap2:

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thank you very much Eamonn!

• Like 1