What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

Grey primer, 3 cans, much better value per can than just buying one when I run out, could have saved a little more by getting 6 or 9 but that's probably being a bit excessive. Also will be either buying some microscale or humbrol krystal clear/clearfix later depending on whether local has them or from Amazon, hope to use up that still around tenner so might end up a kit and Ill probably pay by card again.....

Popped into Antics in Plymouth earlier today and decided to treat myself.

(The wife has a birthday celebration that lasts a week usually - so I think celebrating ones birthday lasting 3 or 4 days is acceptable!!!!)

Got myself a Zouika-Mura SWS F-4S Phantom II (outside of the Eduard Royal Class kits, and the Airfix 1/24 kits, it's definitely the most expensive I've bought at £75!)

And also an Academy re-box of a P-51B that was originally by Accurate Miniatures - USAAF P-51B "Blue Nose"

(I must now stop until Telford!!!)

• Like 2

Acquired a couple of figures from Tommy's War

Cj8hjRT.jpg

yDIvo60.jpg

The Sergeant in the 8th London will become a Sergeant in the 6th York and Lancaster, Poelcappelle, 1917 (grandad!).  Tommy's War does produce some very nice figures.

• Like 3

1/72 GasPatch Lewis Gun MkIII (for a Blackburn Skua) and Vickers K (for a Swordfish).

Wings over the Waves, by Graham Drucker, the biography and collected letters of Lieutenant Commander Roy Baker-Falkner DSO DSC, who lead Barracuda strikes against the Tirpitz, among many other achievements before his death in the summer of 1944.

One Man's War, by Stuart Soward, about Sub-Lieutenant R E Bartlett, who flew Skuas in 1940 over Norway.

Culture in Camouflage: War, Empire, and Modern British Literature by Patrick Deer, an academic study on WWII that has only latterly become available for man in the street prices.

• Like 2

What Were They Like to Fly? by Squadron Leader D H Clarke, about thirty-six of the fifty types he flew while in the RAF, including the mighty Roc and Henley.

Haul Taut and Belay, by Vice Admiral Sir Donald Gibson KCB DSC etc, who flew Skuas over Norway and later was Flag Officer Aircraft Carriers in the 1960s.

Some more Gaspatch 1/72 aircraft guns.

• Like 3

The new 1/72 schnellboot s 38/1942 by Fore Hobby, from Hong Kong. 

WOW!!! 

14 flash free sprues of dark grey plastic, 2 Hull halves, 3 clear sprues, 5 small pe frets, various wire thicknesses, turned gun barrels and decals for 2 vessels. 

Details are sublime. 

Nigel 

• Like 1

Just looked in on eBay and someone was selling a CMK 1/72 Avro York conversion for £30 posted. Yoink!

I remember thinking I had a bargain when I bought one for roughly the same price almost ten years ago and while I always wince when spending that much on a kit, I very much doubt I’d find another at a similar price. 

The photo of the box interior looks like it may have some Airfix Lanc wings included, though I have a number of kits in the stash that can also be donors. 

While I may have spent a bit more than I’m normally comfortable with, I do now have a second York, and I can’t see me ever regretting that. 

• Like 4

For HB's 1/48 F-14A:

Aires F-14A Tomcat Exhaust Nozzles - Varied

Wheelliant F-14A Tomcat Weighted Wheels

Master F-14A Early Version Nose Tip & AOA Probe

For HB's 1/48 F-14:

F-14D Tomcat Open and Closed Nozzles

Wheelliant F-14B/D Tomcat Weighted Wheels

Master F-14 Alfa Probe & AOA Probe

From Jadlam Racing

ICM 48292 1/48 Cessna O-2A (Late Production) to join a pair of their original O-2A bought earlier , what a simple solution for the structural differences – just include an additional new one-piece upper wing and a new fuselage halve for the same price.

ICM 48406 1/48 US Aviation Armament with pairs of various napalm/fire bombs , dispensers , rocket pods and slick/retarded/extended bombs etc. with the convenience of dealing with injected plastic for £14.20 in comparison to a pair of resin Mk.77 Firebombs for a project last year costing £8.00 for them alone (the weapons set is also shown included in sprue shots of the newly released B-26K Invader).

• Like 1

From Going Loco in Lofthouse 2 packs of them nifty small cotton buds by Tamiya for cleaning out the airbrush. Also a pot of XF84 Dark Iron which has been added to the 2 I already had! Note to self.... check paint stash before buying! 🤦‍♂️

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

From Going Loco in Lofthouse 2 packs of them nifty small cotton buds by Tamiya for cleaning out the airbrush. Also a pot of XF84 Dark Iron which has been added to the 2 I already had! Note to self.... check paint stash before buying! 🤦‍♂️

Regards,

Steve

I bought a tin of tamiya Flat alumium from Hobbycraft a few months ago, then I bought a tin of tamiya Flat aluminium from Mr Models in Birmingham a few weeks ago, then I bought a tin of Flat aluminium (humbrol) from a railway store here, each time thinking I think the tin I've got is nearly empty, forgetting I have an unopened tin of tamiya flat aluminium already in the paint rack for when the opened tin runds out.

Moral of the story - you're not alone!!

Oh, and I bought a Who CD a few weeks ago from HMV, only to find when I got home, I already have that Who CD ............. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I bought a tin of tamiya Flat alumium from Hobbycraft a few months ago, then I bought a tin of tamiya Flat aluminium from Mr Models in Birmingham a few weeks ago, then I bought a tin of Flat aluminium (humbrol) from a railway store here, each time thinking I think the tin I've got is nearly empty, forgetting I have an unopened tin of tamiya flat aluminium already in the paint rack for when the opened tin runds out.

Oh, and I bought a Who CD a few weeks ago from HMV, only to find when I got home, I already have that Who CD ............. 

Sounds like a case of Deja vu all over again.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Whofan said:

It's called, "getting old".

John. Hon. Sec. of the "Can't remember a ******** thing Society".

• Haha 5

I was going to buy some more Vallejo matt white the other week because the one currently  in use was nearly empty. Had the sense to check and found I had a least two unopened. Age is definitely catching up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Stopped off in Andover on the way home earlier today from Plymouth - unplanned stop, but the traffic was bloody awful both on the motorway (40 minutes delay at one point!) and then again on the A30/A303. So we decided to do a driver swap at the Asda just outside the centre of Andover.

As is my usual practice, checked BM "UK Model Shops" thread to see if there were any shops around, none listed, so I did a quick goggle search - Test Valley Models came up. Then I remembered that these guys had a traders forum on BM. Decided to pop over (less than a 10 min walk) to see what was what. Really glad I did. Nice selection of kits from Airfix, Revel, Trumpeter, Academy, and a few others, good selection of types as well, aviation, target things, ships, vehicles. and a really great selection of paints! Noticed Tamiya, Ammo-Mig, Citadel, quite full stands as well. Was a really worthwhile visit. Definitely worth stopping off again either on the way to Plymouth, or on the way down to Dorset for us as a stopping off point.

Picked up a Revell C-54D "Thunderbirds" Platinum boxing and some paint. Nice price on the kit as well

Would really recommend if in the area, stopping off and paying a visit!

(if not in the area - website is https://testvalleymodels.com/)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 4

Some Eduard masks from the Big H, these being for the Tamiya Mosquitoes B.IV and FB.VI, the Airfix Spitfire VC and the Hobby Boss Mi-8/17. All 1/72 obviously. I feel somewhat aggrieved that the Mi-8 set doesn't appear to contain masks for the cabin windows (what the actual flip? Talk about half-a-job, Bob!) so it'll be fun cutting circles for those. Not.

Revell f-14a using up some nectar vouchers on eBay. Little miffed, ebays algorithm got me, clicked on what I thought was the cheapest listing only to find after I ordered it has put the 2nd cheapest top, was only 95p but the cheapest one was from a seller only a few miles away and probably could have got a collection discount and cycled to collect it. 

Mrs Lasermonkey saw an ad on social media for a shop that deals in second-hand camera equipment and found a new standard lens* for our trusty Nikon D50 at a decent price. Whilst perusing their wares, she also found a D50 sans lens with extremely low usage for a bit of a bargain, so snapped (sorry!) that up too.

If and when I ever find myself back at an air show, I'll be able to snap away to my heart's content without having to swap lenses in a hurry.

*our old standard lens somehow managed to overrun the stops and although I dismantled and reassembled several times, I never could fix it. It's in bits now.

• Like 1