What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

My early Christmas Present from Father Christmas arrived earlier than I expected.

51755295666_41448666f1_c.jpg

All I can say is WOW. The only larger box I had ever received  that was a Revell/Monogram kit was a 1/24 Phantom Huey UH-1D in 1968 for Christmas. Now I've got to find a space big enough to store the kit until I can start on it.:shrug:

• Like 4

A Hobby Boss F-14a VF-1 Wolf Pack, Phantom Sqns of the RAF & FAA by Richard Ward & Another Pinch Of Salt by Terry Smith, The sequel to Sunshine, Sugi & Salt that I'm reading, near finished, now. All off ebay at acceptable prices. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

This morning to my absolute delight this morning I received this incredible gift from fellow PistonHeader and Britmodeller forum member Peter Dixon.

resized_afe6066b-b133-40a1-9a7b-e28beb0c

For anyone who knows me, you'll know how excited I am about a set of paint chips.

resized_85849ff4-2deb-4d6b-bec2-bb3f26c1

Absolutely smashing stuff. This has made my day and then some - so I'd like to express a gigantic Thank You to the generosity of Peter. :D

• Like 10

Fancied something different:

y4mslNmP2y7vHf4TXsocZdqEvut1imKvOGQlesh9

Back in the late 1980s, there was a flurry of articles in Air Combat Monthly about futuristic things like neural interfacing jets.

To me, those Macross fighters embody that in appearance. So this might get decked out in some sort of Aggressor like scheme. 

More regular goodies:

bits n bobs including pilots for the Flyhawk SBDs, B-24 stuff and the KP Tempest F.6/Mk.II. 

y4mFNwve0I-Vgl-44nlTEZ9MRzHPAtwYpocLZEtY

• Like 4

Had I not had an excess of purchases in the last month including a Matchbox 737 the other day I would have accepted an offer on a skymarks BA 777 as well as ordering a Herpa BA 787 from Germany, but in the end went for just the 787.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

A small pre Christmas purchase;

(As opposed to the large pre Christmas whisky purchase that took place a few days ago!)

callas

to accompany this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maria-Callass-Lyric-Coloratura-Arias/dp/150137902X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1X4Z90RKEXOOT&keywords=callas+arias&qid=1640294306&s=books&sprefix=callas+arias%2Cstripbooks%2C276&sr=1-2

which is a monograph on the album.

If you don't know what the 33 1/3 series of books is, they are pocket sized monographs on individual albums, and as you can see from the above, not restricted to rock.

So far, there are 160 published books, I have all of them, but not all the albums to go with the books.

This is because either the album has never been issued on CD eg (The Golden Hits of the Shangri Las), or is out of print and impossible to buy second hand for less than stupid money, or I'd forgotten to order the CD's.

The complete list of books can be found here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33⅓#Published_titles

There are also small sub series of albums from Japan, Brazil and Europe alongside the main list.

The 160th title in the main series is John Prine and his eponymous album.

I have to say I haven't read every single book; I've definitely started every book. And I've given every album covered at least one play while reading the book on that album, but for some of the albums, that's all.

Overall, the series is a touch annoying; some are excellent, some pretty good, some so so and some not much fun to read.

But that's my personal opinion, anyone else's stands a good chance of being different to mine.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

It seems Christmas presents arrived ahead of time. I received two emails saying that from today I have a subscription to Scale Modelling Now and Finescale Modeler Magazine.

:yahoo: 

The missuz and daughter aimed right. 🥰

Now where did I put their presents ? :frantic:

• Like 3

By long agreement we do not do hobby stuff as presents so had a pre-festive splurge of my own including taking advantage of some seasonal bargains.

From Model Hobbies

Final item (for the moment anyway) in my Kingfisher themed purchases

Print Scale 1/48 48-080 Vought OS2U Kingfisher decals.

From Panzerfux Military Kits

Q-M-T R32022 1/32 Vulcan Cannon Muzzle and Early F-4E Gun Fairing , two resin pieces intended for a future project which is not 1/32 , not an F-4 , arguably not even an aircraft.

From Hannants

Some decals and etch for kits already owned

Eduard 1/48 D48083 MiG23BN Stencilling decals , for an Overtrees boxing of the kit bought at the same time as a full example.

Eduard 1/48 FE165 Sea Harrier FRS.1 etch

Airwaves 1/48 AEC48011 Junkers Ju88 etch

Airwaves 1/48 AEC 48065 BF-109G etch

Yahu 1/48 YMA 4821 Me 109G Instrument Panel

From Amazon

P-3 Orion Illustrated by Lou Drendel , published by Amazon , latest in the series released this week and keeping with the change to fewer anecdotes and more photos format.

From Wingleader

Wingleader Photo Archive Series using the ‘three for the price of two’ code that was shared here on Britmodeller last week

No.3 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I , In RAF Service – NW Europe – 1935 To The Battle of Britain , by Mark Postlethwaite , published 2020.

No.8 De Havilland Vampire – In RAF and Overseas Service , by Andrew Thomas , published 2021.

No.10 Bristol Beaufighter – Mk.I , Mk.II & Mk.VIF In Europe and North Africa , by Neil Robinson , published 2021.

From Key Publishing

Used their spend £60 to save £10 offer code for three of their recent books and latest Aviation Archive as well as a half-price older Aviation Archive.

Water Bombers , by Gerry Manning.

Lockheed C-141 Starlifter (Historic Military Aircraft Series Volume 9) , by Bob Archer.

RAF Transport Aircraft (Modern Military Aircraft Series Volume 6) by Chris Gibson.

Aviation Archive - Best US Fighters Of WWII (2021).

Aviation Archive – German Fighters Of WWII (2014).

From Morton’s Books

Used their 20% off code for their latest aviation release and an older nostalgia transport release.

USAF Jet Bombers , by David Baker released this month.

Nostalgia Collection - Buses , Coaches, Trams and Trolley Bus Recollections – Scotland 1963 and 1964 , by Henry Conn , published 2016 , not especially interested in the vehicles but fascinated by the street scenes from various towns/cities around the country from when I was 10 years old.

From Airfix

Airfix Club 2022 Calendar as part of my extended membership while they finalise the New , New Club deal.

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to be given a voucher by work, which I spent on a Tamiya 1/35 Sheridan tank. I don't like to shop with certain minimal tax paying companies so didn't want to use any of my own money there if I could help it. Still a nice little bit extra 😃

• Like 3

Takeaway from the chippie that the dozy Uberdriver has left for the foxes to eat in the rain in front of an empty house in the next street. Got refund within minutes and went to the chippie in person and got another one for a third cheaper, last time I use Ubereats, absolute rip off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Takeaway from the chippie that the dozy Uberdriver has left for the foxes to eat in the rain in front of an empty house in the next street.

As the saying goes "If you want anything done properly do it yourself"....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I Thought I Saw A Pussy Cat...

20211225-114102.jpg

I did! I did!
Merry Christmas!
Cheers
LM

I bet moggie is thinking 'as soon as that box is open i'm in it'

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Earlier in the week, a couple of Academy kits from local suppliers, their latest B-52D in 1/144 from one who had a early boxing day sale on & from another their B-47 in its latest iteration, also in 1/144. I figured I couldn't have a trio of British V-bombers without their trans Atlantic play mates. Both turned up on Friday, I confess to being a bit gob smacked at the size of the Buff, even in this scale. A nice early Christmas present to myself. :) Prices were both better than I could have done from overseas, especially with the current higher freight rates.

For Christmas, yesterday for us, no models as such  but I did get the Legends of WW2 calendar with the Michael Turner paintings, love those & an excellent history of NAC, the predecessor to Air New Zealand's domestic services. A beautiful book with some superb reference photos in it.

Steve.

• Like 2

For Christmas, most of my pressies were already known as they were bought in second hand book shops/Telford/online

Action Stations revisited 1 & 2

Putnam British Flight Testing 1920-1939

Teach for the Skies 

Warpaint Auster AOP 1-9

SAM Colour Condrum vol1

A really nice jumper from Mrs T

From my daughter a Yellow Submarine jigsaw and a ticket to go with my son to a showing of Return of the Jedi with a full live orchestra at Sheffield in February

From my son the Thunderbird 1 launchbay kit from AIP

• Like 2

The first of many Christmas prezzies. nVDrNSQ.jpg

I also received a CD Supertramp “Even in the quietest moments” a favorite for many years. Im in the process of moving my office and will be getting shelving units this week as part of Christmas. Last up is A custom decal sheet designed by a member here, and a Rare model Ive been wanting for 20+ years. I will just say its a jet, Canadian, and twin engine. If you know me well enough you’ll know which plane I speak of. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

CD Supertramp “Even in the quietest moments”

Great Album Dennis & a favourite of mine years ago, maybe I should revisit it. There wouldn't be an Arrow in your latest purchase would there?

Steve.