What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

5 hours ago, chrisrope said:

Kits

These were in my local Charity shop today. I picked up the 262 for £3 but left the other 2 @£5 each. 
Are they worth the extra £2 each?

Might go back tomorrow when I’ve been paid

Ive built the 112 Its not a bad little kit. Good reason to practice a bit of scratch building by adding some detail in the wheel bays as the two wing cannons would be visible. 

• Like 1

RF-4C Phantoms in 1/72 are a bit thin on the ground lately.

There are several Hasegawas in the US but with the current postage extortion rates USPS is doing, those come out at 100+.  Nope.

Did find a good old ESCI without decals on bay for an acceptable level, so that will have to do. 

• Like 2

I've had my eye on the AlleyCat Models Gloster Javelin Mk.2 XA778 conversion for the Airfix 1/48th scale kit. Finally had the the money available shortly after Models for Sale took over the distribution - first time I've bought an AlleyCat conversion, and first time I've bought from Models for Sale. They were great, so I'll be buying from them again, and I'll certainly be getting more AlleyCat stuff, as it's superb.

Here's the actual aircraft in all its faded and grimy glory:

0e8f214d5403b612ffbcf04c00b86c00.jpg

And here's the conversion parts - this should be fun:

Javelin Mk.2

• Like 11

On 11/26/2021 at 5:49 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I'm hoping that my next acquisition will be either the Trumpeter 1/350 Graf Zeppelin or, Peter Strasser.

My partner is going to drag me kicking and screaming to Wonderland when she visits next week!! 😉😂

This will be my Crimbo treat. It'll be her choice and, whichever is cheaper!

John

Ps -  they are both very expensive (to me anyway) but, I will be contributing! 😊.

I'm assuming 'Wonderland' is the real thing, and not one of those miserable muddy carparks with a few lights in the trees, a disinterested Santa sitting in a tent looking at his phone and a donkey tethered to a fence post? 🥳

• Haha 7

Another bargain 1/35 Miniart T-54 from ebay last night. This time the full interior T-54-2 version.

To go with it a metal barrel from Model Hobbies and the Miniart early T-54 transmission set from Creative Models because it would be rude not too!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some masks on pre-order came in stock

p?i=9ddce33c97643694b3a2ae141e4188c5

So I added a decal set

And then, to give them some protection in shipping, these were slipped in to the box

p?i=2a8805ef7b0300e193769eb8860914d0

The stuff at the back of the desk is a Spitfire soon to appear in a KUTA near you

/P

• Like 3

Most kits I’ve purchased recently have gone in a draw for groups builds most months away or I’ve just not got round to them before the enthusiasm wains so set myself a challenge, popped to the local, could buy anything only rule I have to it start and try and finish it this year. What felt like a lifetime later I’ve left a second hand Airfix (esci) dc-3 kit….given my first attempt at that kit ended in the bin hopefully this goes better.  Edit: and just got an offer accepted on a Hasegawa sabre one my long running attempt to get a canopy for a diecast repair 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

Wonderland Models here in Edinburgh!!

It's the real thing all right!😉😊

John

I do envy you having a real model shop you can visit. I can't remember the last time I was in one. I suppose it must have been Beatties in Holborn in the 1990s, and that wasn't even a proper model shop. Going further back there were places in Farnborough and Reading but can't recollect their names.  ☹️

• Like 1

Me too. When we arrived here 15 years ago there were two model shops in Limoges, about 55km away. One closed about 10 years ago due to the proprietors  ill health and the other closed a couple of years ago when the couple who owned retired.

Going back to the " good old days " when we lived in Sandhurst we had three shops locally at Farnborough, Bracknell and Reading. The one at Farnborough  was Farnborough Models and Toys run by a very nice chap called Ron, which started as a launderette with a few kits in one corner and developed into a well stocked model shop.

John

PS: my latest acquisition? A couple of Molotow liquid chrome markers

• Like 2

I've lived up here, on The Backside Of Beyond, for over 40 years and there have been two hobby stores here in that time. 

The first was open for about 3 weeks, then closed.

The next one was just a small place, that opened in the early 2000's that mostly dealt with the RC crowd but did have a few kits and other supplies. It was open for about 4 years before the city, with the idiot plans they had back then, decided to tear down that long row of older townhouses and build a medical clinic. It took about five before they did tear id down and now it just a long row of weeds and bushes.

So I'm still a 5 hour drive from the closest shop.

Chris

• Sad 5

Two Airfix starter kits from Aldi, namely the Spitfire I and JP4. I have half a Spitfire IX left over from my AZ Spit 16 and if they fit, the Airfix one will donate it’s wings to help make the Mk.III.* As for the JP that’ll end up as one of the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Light Aircraft Grey ones.

Trevor

* UPDATE - it’s doable👍

• Like 3

The Bat Project 1/72 Boeing 307 Stratoliner in PAA liveries. I plan on doing it in bare metal foil, after I give it the Radu rivet treatment.

Also, being a sucker for punishment, the AirFIX 1/72 Shackleton AEW.2, again filling the trenches and putting all those 10,000 rivets flying in formation with Radu’s rivet wheels. I did have the Revell kit, but drilled out rivets aren’t my cup of tea. I have been practicing on an old AirFIX P-61 (black plastic shows them well) I sanded off the golf balls beforehand.
I don’t think RB productions sells them any longer, but I believe the “Rosie the Riveter” tools are the same wheels with a custom wooden handle. They are considerably more expensive, but you can get double and triple row wheels as well. If anyone has a line on less expensive rivet wheels of the same calibre, I would like to know. If you haven’t used these wheels, they are extremely fine and are not a simple pounce wheel, huge difference.

Jeff

I've had a rather hectic few weeks of digital 3D modelling at work, and finally wrapped the job up last night. (When I say 'hectic', I mean graphic design level hectic, rather than say, A&E Friday night shift hectic. When graphic designers have a hectic day it means they can only spend half their time on instagram and facebook.)

So today I decided to treat myself to my first visit to KB Models, 30 mins down the road in Havant. And what a treat! I was blown away by the wide choice of plastic kits on offer, and so many different manufacturers - ICM, Eduard, Special Hobby, Dora Wings ... plus even more I can't remember. I didn't have a shopping list, I would have been happy browsing, but thought it would be rude to spend an hour trawling the shop and not spend anything. The new Airfix Vampire was in my hands for a while, then an Eduard Bf108, followed by a Dora Wings Percival Gull, all 1/48. In the end this came home with me, as well as a cutting mat. My first Eduard kit, and I'm very impressed. I wanted a profipack rather an a weekend kit.

51724128911_7a9966f016_z.jpg

My treat after a hectic few weeks digital modelling by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 9

I went back to the charity shop and bought the other 2 Luftwaffe kits. 

Kits33

I’ll build the 262 and 109, reading online, I need to source some smaller wheels for the 109. 
The Heinkel, I’m not sure. It would be well down the build pile so may move it on/trade for something. Sadly it only has the German decals and not the colourful Romanian ones. 

The Matchbox Meteor was a cheap eBay purchase. Probably built half a dozen in the past but never as the NF14 so that’s what it will be

• Like 6

I've not posted much on here in the last couple of years due to the fact that most of my purchases are done at Telford. So apologies for this being lengthy, but I bought a lot at this years Nationals. First up was this in a scale that I've not touched before. £120, reduced to £105 and I offered £100, which was accepted. A future (long) project.

687e653f-6f54-442d-8f62-52bfad7df522.JPG

Next, following on from my IDF interest, I picked these three;

e3844b0f-8568-4d51-9939-a890d7c0ccf1.JPG

560babd6-4e4f-4398-b368-5473b82978b9.JPG

ca9695f4-296a-44ef-93d5-0c8144265898.JPG

I have to contact the dealer who sold me the M109 as it didn't contain any tracks. That's the trouble with second hand kits.

Another Tamiya 1/48th T-55 which will end up as another Tiran, maybe a 5 this time.

858a79d0-81ab-40ff-875a-152a78232a08.JPG

An Airfix Cromwell, just to see how it measures up against the Tamiya offering.

784bca13-5853-4cfa-bd6a-2dec4c056ac9.JPG

These next two will end up as the bases for two Israeli Improvised Armoured Cars.

ca6cf404-98c4-46b6-9400-8e1facef837b.JPG

8f5139d0-736c-4a0f-838a-73da40a0dfa8.JPG

And the final kit; I know, it's a wingey thing! But when I used to build them, one of the aircraft which I used to like to build were the drones and controllers, so that's what this will end up as.

f17061b5-1c20-4ceb-88f9-58d9606b5699.JPG

The rest are all non kit items starting with a set of Cromwell wheels;

d7b039c5-3edc-4f83-a391-bcd4836d5936.JPG

A pair of LED lamps for photography purposes;

36f882ba-91f8-4b36-a4ff-1f353ee69d18.JPG

Two cans of Halfords very good grey acrylic primer & some bottles from Alclad;

18f7625b-31d1-4289-94e2-3d0d6e90541a.JPG bace0eda-298b-40e6-a533-041c63054c18.JPG

A set of fine paintbrushes, and a set of mini drill bits with shanks, so that I can at least use the 0.3mm in a chuck.

4f7f44b0-5dfb-4d24-bd82-040e1c8f2c72.JPG ab625e34-2339-4d96-9312-24b4ae447c75.JPG

And finally, a Desert Ealgle book on the Magach 3 to go with the Dragon kit;

ae8d31f8-251b-4909-b29f-74dd78437caf.JPG

Well, that's the lot until next November.

John.

• Like 12

Via eBay

Monogram 5394 1/48 Vought Kingfisher kit , 1977 boxing still shrink wrapped with £1.97 price sticker and parts in a sealed bag and still on runners (well as close to being on runners as was ever the case with Monogram kits) so one down but still looking for a second of any of the many Monogram/Revell releases.

From World of Books

Pre-owned for around £5 each and in some cases a bit of a blast from the past.

Military Aircraft Of The World 1971 and 1981 editions , both by Gordon Swanborough and both published by Ian Allan , slightly larger in format than the Observer’s Book Of Aircraft series and although there were far more references around in the 1980s back in the early 1970s the single black & white images for each aircraft type provided much inspiration.

Airfix Magazine Guide 27 – Modelling RAF Vehicles by Gerald Scarborough , published 1978 by PSL

Super Blue , by Katsuhiko Tokunaga , published 1988 by Howell Press one of several large format (with some excellent reference shots among the often ‘arty content’) aviation photography books from different authors/publishers that were fashionable around that time , rather expensive in their day although in this case now reduced to around the same as an average monthly aviation magazine.

From Amazon

Using some of gift vouchers received as an anniversary present to buy another pair of Schiffer tomes.

Age Of Orion – The Lockheed P-3 Story , by David Reade , published 1998 by Schiffer , 224 heavily illustrated pages covering every P-3 to that time including several pages on the ‘spooky’ CIA/ROCAF operations.

The 388th. Tactical Fighter Wing : At Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base 1972 , by Don R. Logan , published 2004 by Schiffer with 128 pages/170 black & white and colour photos which while F-4 (especially F-4E) heavy also includes many other USAF types of the era.

Phoenix Publications

Ordered one of everything already available and forthcoming and received both magazines this week as well as the two Airmark Range Books recently released – McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier and Dassault Rafale both by Andy Evans

Local Tesco

Combat Machines No.7 – Mosquito , latest in the series from Key Publications in the usual format and mix of text/photos and profile artwork.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I've not posted much on here in the last couple of years due to the fact that most of my purchases are done at Telford. So apologies for this being lengthy, but I bought a lot at this years Nationals. First up was this in a scale that I've not touched before. £120, reduced to £105 and I offered £100, which was accepted. A future (long) project.

687e653f-6f54-442d-8f62-52bfad7df522.JPG

Next, following on from my IDF interest, I picked these three;

e3844b0f-8568-4d51-9939-a890d7c0ccf1.JPG

560babd6-4e4f-4398-b368-5473b82978b9.JPG

ca9695f4-296a-44ef-93d5-0c8144265898.JPG

I have to contact the dealer who sold me the M109 as it didn't contain any tracks. That's the trouble with second hand kits.

Another Tamiya 1/48th T-55 which will end up as another Tiran, maybe a 5 this time.

858a79d0-81ab-40ff-875a-152a78232a08.JPG

An Airfix Cromwell, just to see how it measures up against the Tamiya offering.

784bca13-5853-4cfa-bd6a-2dec4c056ac9.JPG

These next two will end up as the bases for two Israeli Improvised Armoured Cars.

ca6cf404-98c4-46b6-9400-8e1facef837b.JPG

8f5139d0-736c-4a0f-838a-73da40a0dfa8.JPG

And the final kit; I know, it's a wingey thing! But when I used to build them, one of the aircraft which I used to like to build were the drones and controllers, so that's what this will end up as.

f17061b5-1c20-4ceb-88f9-58d9606b5699.JPG

The rest are all non kit items starting with a set of Centurion wheels;

d7b039c5-3edc-4f83-a391-bcd4836d5936.JPG

A pair of LED lamps for photography purposes;

36f882ba-91f8-4b36-a4ff-1f353ee69d18.JPG

Two cans of Halfords very good grey acrylic primer & some bottles from Alclad;

18f7625b-31d1-4289-94e2-3d0d6e90541a.JPG bace0eda-298b-40e6-a533-041c63054c18.JPG

A set of fine paintbrushes, and a set of mini drill bits with shanks, so that I can at least use the 0.3mm in a chuck.

4f7f44b0-5dfb-4d24-bd82-040e1c8f2c72.JPG ab625e34-2339-4d96-9312-24b4ae447c75.JPG

And finally, a Desert Ealgle book on the Magach 3 to go with the Dragon kit;

ae8d31f8-251b-4909-b29f-74dd78437caf.JPG

Well, that's the lot until next November.

John.

Blimey, I was expecting a Partridge in a Pear Tree at the end of that lot ! 🙂

• Haha 9

Friday afternoon I got back in from work, the Wonderful Mrs Wez said to me "You were lucky, I'd just got back from the library when they delivered your beer!"

"What beer?  I haven't ordered any!" I replied.

She pointed to a box in the hall, it contained a 12 bottle selection of Hall & Woodhouse (Badger Brewery) ales.  I'm very partial to both their Tanglefoot and Golden Champion ales which this box contained along with a selection of their other beers.

I was confused though, I knew I hadn't ordered any beer from them recently (although I had during the lockdown earlier in the year).  There was no invoice, no card or slip explaining where it had come from.  The only conclusion we could come to was that either I had been sent the order by accident or I had won a prize in a Christmas draw for having ordered from them before, the former being a more plausible explanation than the latter.  Rather than tuck into it his weekend I've put it in the garage less I should be asked to send it back.

Today the mystery was solved, I got a text from my brother in law asking me if I had got a package from them yet so I asked him if it would have been from Hall & Woodhouse, he said yes.  Phew!  I wouldn't have to give the stuff back.

It's my birthday at the end of the month and they had sent me the beer as an early birthday present to solve any beer dilemmas I might face over Christmas, there was supposed to be a card explaining all of this.  Its a very kind and thoughtful gift, my only quandary will be which beer do I try first?

I'm just very glad that it wasn't something I had done and forgotten about!

• Like 11