What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

At a delivery early this morning in Barnsley market, we were waiting for someone to open the property, so I looked at a market stall full of books.

Two for a fiver, Run by a South African guy (The accent is a giveaway) the stall is down near Greggs. If you're in the area give it a look.

Lots of military books. I could have spent more but we had to go and work!

I got, Keeping Watch. Pip Beck. A WAAf in Bomber Command. She served at Waddington, Bardney and Upper Heyford as a R/T operator.

And, Our War. Christopher Somerville. Memoirs of Commonwealth Servicemen. 

I'm looking forward to reading both. 

• Like 4

Buffaloes a' roaming....

Another one for the (history) collection.
The long-nosed Brewster 339-23 (or 439) were the last ones produced, ordered by the NEIAAF.
The decal sheet allows for several interesting ones..

One aircraft was 'reassigned' to the personal flight of Station Commander USAAF at Essington and is said to have been his 'showboat' - all polished metal, he used it to charm his way into some lady's... house. There. Safe enough :P 
Apparently, that was rather frowned upon and when the good man was... let's say promoted away, the aircraft was shoved into a corner and left to slowly decompose. 

Other options are a Photorecce conversion in RAAF service, several 25 Sqn aircraft, including the 500th Buffalo produced, pieces of which are currently in a Dutch museum.  

y4m0ADSYp2U1nBFfVqt1W_4bwwHAko0CrbTc677E

The QB engine isn't needed for this one as the kit has a really nice one, so it will end up in a Tamiya 339.
 Other bits are for the Academy P-38F, and a Tamiya Mossie.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

At a delivery early this morning in Barnsley market, we were waiting for someone to open the property, so I looked at a market stall full of books.

Two for a fiver, Run by a South African guy (The accent is a giveaway) the stall is down near Greggs. If you're in the area give it a look.

Lots of military books. I could have spent more but we had to go and work!

I got, Keeping Watch. Pip Beck. A WAAf in Bomber Command. She served at Waddington, Bardney and Upper Heyford as a R/T operator.

And, Our War. Christopher Somerville. Memoirs of Commonwealth Servicemen. 

I'm looking forward to reading both. 

Ah, yes, I know the stall and the guy running it.  It's only there on a Tuesday, when they have the second-hand market.  Don't get into town often on a Tuesday but when I do I always check it out.

• Like 2

Some Xtracrylix paint and varnish, 60-40 sure I have enough grey paint for my tomcat but experience tells me if I don't stock up I'll run out, also pretty sure I have enough gloss varnish for all builds for the rest of the year but same logic applies, also managed to leave one in the basket I don't need at the expense of one I was going to switch to using on a build.....🙄 

• Like 1

Two of the new Airfix 1/48th DH Vampires, very nice they are too. The surface detail is very fine, the best I've seen from Airfix to date and as good as anybody else's. Well done Airfix!

The parts include the extended starboard intake used on the FB.9 and many FB.5's, it also includes the clipped wingtips used on these later variants so you can build an F.3/FB.5/FB.9 from this kit.

I'm really pleased about this because I have a 3rd on the way.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, alt-92 said:

I am seriously impressed. 

And quite rightly so , what excellent moulding.

Never been that taken by the Dauntless myself and closest I have ever got was a Polish released  re-box of what looked like ye olde rather sparse Airfix parts won at a model show Tombola table some years back which was quickly passed on to someone else but this certainly looks like a very impressive kit.

• Like 1

A Revell F-104G with Belgium & Netherlands markings, something to do with a Century series fighter GB next year, not that I haven't got some F-104 G kits or some BAF F-104G decals BUT I haven't got them both in one box, till now anyway. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 9:48 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

The new Xtradecal mossie prxvi sheet, probably ballsed up as it’s first time I’ve used hannants back order system and may end up with two sheets. 

And indeed I messed up, one sheet was ordered, the wrong sheet, the bomber one…..oh what a Wally 

• Haha 1

Today got really astonished. Received this resin radiator replacement from Thunder models for my Scammel Pioneer. The one supplied in the kit was wrong, and they're giving it for free. Must say its a customer support that other brands should follow! Outstanding! They even apologised for taking so long, just because the part was out stock...

IMG-8897.jpg

Cheers
LM

• Like 5

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but I picked up a Stirling at a recent model show:

182888-17841-66-pristine

Nice artwork on the box top. The kit seems nicely detailed, bit I was a bit disappointed with the panel lines as they seem a bit too wide and deep for this scale, but IIRC that's what they made Mr. Surfacer for!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. It just so happened that I picked up some Mr. Surfacer as well. Prescient me was.

• Like 4

They're a bit trench-like, indeed. The Sunderland has the same challenge. 

Another Italian care package:

y4msJk-hJbpPDohVcz0ot5Iq3_KD1iWQZmpWGZ4I

Jag & Harrier were the real targets, the F-15 is 'boxfiller' to get the total across the 50€ free P&P threshold. Not the best F-15, but good enough. 

Schemes in the Jag box will come in handy for the old Hasegawa one as wel..

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

They're a bit trench-like, indeed. The Sunderland has the same challenge.

Can't say that I've built many Italeri kits, but the ones I have aren't so Matchbox like. Even so, I think I'd rather deal with that and have a nicely detailed new tooled Stirling than have to deal with the legacy kits. Of course, I may change my mind as I exhaust my supply of Mr. Surfacer and grow weary of sanding...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1