What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

16 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

An offer of a permanent job! Now I need to find out what this HLJ "private warehouse" thingy that @stevehnz speaks of...

HLJ being Hobby Link Japan. They run a system of everyone signed up to their website can run a "private warehouse" so you can buy individual items & accumulate them before shipping, I normally ship 3 or 4 kits at a time, it does represent a decent saving on shipping individual kits. You can have an item in your private warehouse for up to 60 days before they'll ship it for you though I have noticed a lot of exhortations to ship long before that has crept in since Covid hit the world. They relaxed their 60 day rule at that point & I'm guessing their storage facility is under a lot of pressure. I'll ship these last two plus a couple of other recent additions in a couple of weeks. HTH

Steve.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

HLJ being Hobby Link Japan. They run a system of everyone signed up to their website can run a "private warehouse" so you can buy individual items & accumulate them before shipping, I normally ship 3 or 4 kits at a time, it does represent a decent saving on shipping individual kits. You can have an item in your private warehouse for up to 60 days before they'll ship it for you though I have noticed a lot of exhortations to ship long before that has crept in since Covid hit the world. They relaxed their 60 day rule at that point & I'm guessing their storage facility is under a lot of pressure. I'll ship these last two plus a couple of other recent additions in a couple of weeks. HTH

Steve.

Oh, now I like that idea - that may help with my relatively low buying rate. Thanks, Steve!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Whofan said:

I;m afraid the picture at our Aldi was baby bits and pieces yes, airfix kits no.

They can't have all gone in two days, surely?

On Sunday staff at our local branch said that they were 'on the table in the back' but were not being released until Thursday in that branch.

Friends and family in other towns in the general area checked their stores earlier in the week but the starter kits were not on sale.

Popped in late this morning here in Montrose and they were there labelled as a 'Thursday Special' , no idea why different parts of the country had them on Sunday and others such as around had them for release today.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:21 PM, Procopius said:

A No1 MkIII* SMLE on a cheeky low bid which I was really not expecting to win. I'm going to have to sell anything not securely bolted down here at Hedgehog Manor.

Good score! I'm guessing a live firer Ed? I bought my 1917 dated BSA III* in the mid '90's for the paltry sum of £60! It got lugged around many First and Second World War battlefields when I was heavily involved in 'living history' pilgrimmages. 9/11 put paid to that though! It now hangs on the wall over my head in the modelling grotto. One of my regrets is I've never fired a live round through one.
(When mine was deaccivated they sliced the barrel down most of it's length, then welded a steel rod inside. It weighs a ton.)

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Good score! I'm guessing a live firer Ed? 

Yep! It will go with my collection of other UK and Commonwealth service weapons (Martini-Henry MkIV, Lee-Enfield No4 MkI, Webley IV -- albeit a Canadian police issue pistol -- Enfield No 2 MkI*, Enfield M1917 for the Dad's Army fans, and Hi-Power). On the off-chance you're ever in Chicago, let me know, and I'll happily help you fill that gap in your CV.

This SMLE is from 1928, so it missed WWI, but presumably it may have seen some service in the Arab Revolt or WWII; I'm trying to decipher the markings on the brass disc on the stock to figure out what unit used it. And of course now that I've bought it, a 1916-dated No1 MkIII* in decent nick has turned up for even less online -- the bottom seems to have fallen out of the market for the simplified No1 MkIII* rifles, people just want long Lees or ones with the volley sights now.

• Like 2

Off topic (again) but I received this through the post today for a piece of furniture I made at work. 

Quite proud - it's along the lines of a Michelin Star but for furniture making and something which I've been aiming towards since I began cabinet making about a decade ago. spacer.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Jered said:

Off topic (again) but I received this through the post today for a piece of furniture I made at work. 

Quite proud - it's along the lines of a Michelin Star but for furniture making and something which I've been aiming towards since I began cabinet making about a decade ago. 

Don't be shy, show us the cabinet!

• Like 3

Pre-order finally arrived at the store, so went to pick the F-104S up. 

...and then I ran into a stack of freshly arrived FineMolds/Tamiya Buffaloes and one followed me home :banghead:

y4mMTsA_ZaR5180591MustcM753-ETYxKVjwry6P

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Don't be shy, show us the cabinet!

spacer.png

Based on a flower bulb, commissioned to memorialize the client's mother who was a horticulturalist.

spacer.png

Taking a rest after an exhausting glue up!spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 12

Ordered from and delivered to home this week rather than the proceeds of a frenzied hedonistic rampage through the halls of the International Centre at Telford this weekend.

From Aldi

One each of the 1/72 Airfix Starter Sets aircraft which were a Sunday Special but did not reach this far north until Thursday

A68205 Messerschmitt Bf109E-3 , A68206 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a , A68210 Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8 , A68216 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 , Hunting Percival Provost T.4

From Black Mike Models

Hand delivered by Duncan on Thursday , who would have imagined a take-out home-delivery model shop before Covid?

Two 1/48 ICM 48300 OV-10A Bronco

Via eBay

1/48 Roden 440 Pilatus PC-6C/H-2 Turbo Porter ‘Air America’ , to join their AU-23A Peacemaker gunship bought a few years ago.

From Amazon

F-102 Delta Dagger Illustrated by Lou Drendel , published 2021 by Amazon , released this week as the latest addition to the series with the usual mix of images and artwork although only a short introductory history with the remaining text in the form of much-expanded image captions rather than the previous ‘first-hand accounts’ which makes it far more image intensive and for me anyway far more enjoyable.     Interesting to read in the foreword that there had never been an F-102 title in his ‘In Action’ series.

PS - having had a chance to go into the book in more detail it should be noted that while there is one passing reference to changes being made to the wing design it is not actually made clear that for production aircraft this was manifested by either the 'Case X' or 'Case XX' wing which were not interchangeable and can be identified by aircraft serial number.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Too many bits and pieces from Telford...

And yet surprisingly under the budget that I had set myself 😁. I'll take pics and list once I get home, but paints, tools, 7 or 8 kits, books, several of the new Phoenix publications items, and other bits and bobs. 

Reduced show for 2021, but I don't think it suffered as a result of it. Well done to the IPMS EC on the show organisation.

• Like 2