What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

3 hours ago, Foxbat said:

This is what was in the latest box. The Airfix MiG-17 isn't a bad kit by all accounts, good enough that there were a flood of them in the Africa GB not so long back. Although it has flaws, it's a better attempt than their MiG-15 retool was. The Zeroes are nice kits, acceptably accurate (apart from the colour scheme, but as you can see I'm not using the kit decals so don't care) and having already done one I know it's a nice build. The M3 scout car continues my love in with Zvezda 1/100 armour. It's intended for wargaming, but they actually make decent display models so I have quite a collection.

spacer.png 

The lower scheme is one of the ones I'll be doing with the Airfix kits. H-Model Decals also do it in 1/72 and 1/48 but they would have you mask and paint the fuselage and tail stripes yourself. Not on my watch matey - I don't buy decals to make life harder.

spacer.png

Andy

I thought Typos was a Greek island until I tried posting on public forums

Oh wow, quite a collection. I'm building the Zero at the moment. The detail in the cockpit is most impressive...

Enjoy.

• Like 1

I managed to find somewhere that has actual stock of the Infini Model stuff I’ve been after, so I bought a full set of the softback sanding sponges and the Type B cutting mat. The mat was a bit on the spendy side, but it promises to be incredibly useful.

I had bought a few of the individual sanding sponges (600, 800 and 1000) and had intended to just buy the ones I didn’t have, but the 2500 was out of stock. No matter, I’m very impressed with the ones I have, so I will most certainly make use of them. 

• Like 5

From The Aviation Historian

Subscription copy of The Aviation Historian Issue 37 arrived early in the week.

From The Aviation & Military Book Centre

Latest additions to the Duke Hawkins Aircraft In Detail series and all to the usual high standard

019 A-400M Atlas (delayed from July due to a production problem) , 021 Grumman EA-6B Prowler and 022 C-160 Transall - delighted with the Transall especially as I had taken an extensive photo walkround of a Luftwaffe example almost twenty years ago and then later cut and paste instead of merely copying it along with the rest of that particular airshow coverage to my Desktop , never noticed my mistake and replaced a copy in external storage so lost it all when my computer later quite literally blew up.

Avions Hors-Série No.53 Le SNCASO Vautour En Israel by Shlomo Aloni , published 2021 by Lela Presse , French language throughout but with 128 pages, more than 200 photos and 20 colour profiles of an aircraft that seems to get little coverage in the English language aviation press.

Via EBay

CDR of SNCASO Vautour Aircraft Manuals

From Home Bargains

Two Christmas Tree Bauble Storage Boxes  , 24 compartments each approx. 3.5 in/9cm cubes for multiple/larger spares storage , added a couple of photos at -https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235100494-large-compartmented-storage-boxes/

• Thanks 1

20211016_114501

These arrived this morning. I have already received my preorder on the Fine Molds F-4D but figured why not another seeing as how the vendor still had some in stock and especially if I could add the very colourful Hasegawa MU-4A and Fine Molds Weapons.

• Like 7

On 10/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, John Laidlaw said:

A shingles vaccine follow-up shot. Now my left arm is behaving a little like undercooked spaghetti, and I'm feeling a little bit under the weather. At least I have a temporary new excuse for my chronic procrastination...

Oh great I need to get mine in November. Good to know what to expect. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh great I need to get mine in November. Good to know what to expect. 

Saturday I felt like I had the flu - not good at all. I then slept for 11 hours and feel much better, if really tired.

On the other hand, my wife had her booster shot at the same time and ended up with a slight headache for a few hours. She's clearly tougher than me 😀.

• Thanks 1

A new paint stirrer, cobbled together by my own fair self. I already have my converted IKEA coffee frother, but that can be a bit lairy at times, requiring a paint lid with a wee hole in the top to prevent carnage. I had been eyeing up the Trumpeter one, but remembered I still had the battery operated drill thingy that came with the AMT NCC 1701-D kit which had the fibre optics included. Shudder.

A bit of tinkering and thirty minutes later, I had a perfectly functioning stirrer. I used a nail as the stirrer part, cutting some notches into the nail head with a cut-off disc. It’s not pretty, but I’ve saved a few quid and repurposed something that has been gathering dust for over twenty years.

• Like 5

Some paint masks from the Big H: One for my Airfix B-17G and one for the Airfix Beaufighter that I suddenly seem to have up and running again after sitting on the shelf of shame for years. As usual, I winced somewhat upon clicking the "buy" button, but I never regret it when it comes to actually applying the masks.

My Infini stuff arrived today. If you've ever thought "just how good can a sanding stick be?" here's your answer. There's none of your re-badged beauty products here. They feel more substantial, they don't shed grit and really have "bite".

The cutting mat, I'm not so sure about. It's much smaller than I was expecting (though that's not an issue, more of an observation) but the laser-cut guide lines are very shallow, so shallow that I found the scalpel blade was riding out of them. That is an issue. I also thought the laser cuts to be a bit ragged in places and the circles are reminiscent of a medium-resolution bitmap, rather than a smooth, continuous curve. Honestly, I expected better for the money. It might be going back.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 2

I'm trying to resist all temptation to buy anything before Telford! I have my shopping list all ready, and my show collection order will be going into Hannants in the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping that one or two items that are showing as November releases will have been released and in stock by the time that the show comes around so I'll be picking them up as well!

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

I'm trying to resist all temptation to buy anything before Telford! I have my shopping list all ready, and my show collection order will be going into Hannants in the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping that one or two items that are showing as November releases will have been released and in stock by the time that the show comes around so I'll be picking them up as well!

This will be first SMS since the first one I went to where I'm not sure I want anything from Hannants! I need some generic FAA/RAF  serial codes in white for a build now, so will order those (with the black alternatives) to come in the next week or so.

I have a feeling that I'm going to just wander and pick up things as I go around.

To be honest, I kind of went post lockdown crazy at the Avon show, picking up quite a few kits, and having spent so much at the last few SMW's with Hannants, I think I should share some of the money around a few more traders.

Edited by Whofan

On 10/15/2021 at 4:20 PM, Foxbat said:

This is what was in the latest box. The Airfix MiG-17 isn't a bad kit by all accounts, good enough that there were a flood of them in the Africa GB not so long back. Although it has flaws, it's a better attempt than their MiG-15 retool was. The Zeroes are nice kits, acceptably accurate (apart from the colour scheme, but as you can see I'm not using the kit decals so don't care) and having already done one I know it's a nice build. The M3 scout car continues my love in with Zvezda 1/100 armour. It's intended for wargaming, but they actually make decent display models so I have quite a collection.

spacer.png 

The lower scheme is one of the ones I'll be doing with the Airfix kits. H-Model Decals also do it in 1/72 and 1/48 but they would have you mask and paint the fuselage and tail stripes yourself. Not on my watch matey - I don't buy decals to make life harder.

spacer.png

Andy

I thought Typos was a Greek island until I tried posting on public forums

Bear in mind that the colours quoted for those Zeros are wrong. The cowling is blue-black and the fuselage a much warmer and darker colour that’s quite hard to describe. You’ll find several threads here on Britmodeller. Colourcoats does the shade you need.
I found the nose on the MiG-17 goes together very well, provided you dry fit the cockpit and wheel well, removing some material from the front to ensure the nose isn’t forced out of alignment. Because I was forewarned of the potential fit problems, I checked to see what might be causing it. I think I needed the merest hint of filler.  

• Like 1

Today in a moment of "hell it's the last one in stock', I bought from our home brewed version of Amazon, Mighty Ape, an Italeri F-16 ADF/AM Special colours, one I've hummed & harred about for a while, it has a nice Belgian scheme in it, & then, cripes, last one & I'd bought it before you could say knife. :D I've got an "F-16s are the new Spitfire" feeling just now.  😉

Steve.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Bear in mind that the colours quoted for those Zeros are wrong. The cowling is blue-black and the fuselage a much warmer and darker colour that’s quite hard to describe. You’ll find several threads here on Britmodeller. Colourcoats does the shade you need.
I found the nose on the MiG-17 goes together very well, provided you dry fit the cockpit and wheel well, removing some material from the front to ensure the nose isn’t forced out of alignment. Because I was forewarned of the potential fit problems, I checked to see what might be causing it. I think I needed the merest hint of filler.  

Thanks for the tip on the MiG. I have 4 in the stash now, so plenty of scope for getting it wrong.

For the Zeroes, I have the new IJN set from AK that was formulated for them by Nick MIllman. His Aviation of Japan blog is my go to for all things WW2 Japanese, so I trust these colours are as good as they can be.

Andy

• Like 1

To go with the Airfix kit, this set from Hannants:

3Kcz193.jpg

It has AW243 AW.O from 42 Squadron, Oliver Philpott's aircraft, that I want to do.  It has, however got several more very attractive schemes, so I think I will be acquiring more Beauforts.  Possibly an expensive purchase in the long run!

• Like 8

From Morton’s Media

Marine Corps Jet Fighters , the latest release in the bookazine series and illustrated by J P Vieira , over 150 sideview artworks but like previous volumes the only niggle is that the vast majority are printed over two pages and the nature of the binding causes a little slice of the middle sections to be lost.

From Key Publishing

Their latest bookazine release and a couple of their book titles released earlier in 2021.

The bookazine release is Special Mission Aircraft – The Essential Guide To Airborne Agencies , not quite encyclopaedic but certainly a good start for looking into what is a fast expanding field.

The books are US Naval Air Power – West Coast 2010 – 20 by Patrick Roegies as Volume 2 in Key’s Air Forces Series, while now concentrated in fewer locations and on fewer aircraft types than many of us might remember lingering on in similar late 20th. Century titles there is still a lot to cover with this look at the current force.

Issued earlier this year was the other title US Department Of Homeland Security Aviation by Tom Kaminski which is divided into two parts – Part 1 covers the former alphabet soup of Federal law enforcement agency air units which now come under Homeland Security control and Part 2 covers the US Coast Guard which was transferred from the Control of the Department of Transportation to that of Homeland Security in 2003.

• Like 1