What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I also filled a gap or two in my French AF collection. 

\o/

More French stuff :P Just the Laté 298 and a V-156F to go then? Or maybe a Nieuport LN.401?  All used in 1940 during Fall Gelb..

/runs

--

Keeping with the 1940 scheme: 

- Fokker G-1 in 1/72.  Yes it's the downscaled Mikro-Mir 1/48 one. 

y4mm8DyBbt3HSpP4dcyqOuuEHlA8U3ingiIwVAbU

Not just one, but two Pogos, because that RN one just looks awesome as what-if. 
And the F3H-2 Demon to contrast with it's successor, the Phantom.  It's surprisingly big, actually. 

• Like 6

Eduard’s ‘Camel & Co’ and a heap of Quinta Studios sets for 1/48 aircraft:

Tamiya F-117A

Tamiya F-4B x 2

Minibase Su-33

Hasegawa F-104G

Hobbyboss MV-22

and as much as I’m interested in the forthcoming sets for the A-6 family I wish, just once, they’d park some of the obvious stuff and do some British subjects for a change. Something for the Revell Tornadoes, kinetic Harriers etc.

57 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

More French stuff :P Just the Laté 298 and a V-156F to go then? Or maybe a Nieuport LN.401?  All used in 1940 during Fall Gelb..

:frantic:

58 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

- Fokker G-1 in 1/72.  Yes it's the downscaled Mikro-Mir 1/48 one.

51401317121_9cdb0b3b27_b.jpg

Yup. Already on the shelf, waiting patiently. :like:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Aero Research

Biz Jets No.4 latest release as a PDF download.

Ebay

Bombing Colours - RAF Bombers , Their Markings And Operations 1937 - 1973 by Michael F.Bowyer , Published 1973 by PSL.

Fighting Colours - RAF Fighter Camouflage And Markings 1937 - 1975 by Michael F.Bowyer , Published 1975 by PSL , this is the updated Second Edition with the Np.111 Squadron Lightning on the cover , more or less the same text as the 1969 First Edition (Spitfire Cover) but expanded by a few pages further into the Lightning and introducing the Harrier , Jaguar and Phantom with a further block of nineteen black & white images and some additional drawings although the latter are at the loss of one or two from the original.

Key Publications

Topped up on some of their Aviation Archive Series , hadn't realised that I had missed so many over the years but distribution in this area is a bit hit and miss , BEA Title is the latest release and was full price while all of the others are a bit older and were at half-price.

BEA - 75 th. Anniversary Special

Battle of Britain - RAF And Luftwaffe Aircraft Of The Battle

Special Duties Aircraft Of WW2

Flying Boats of WWII

Medium Bombers Of World War 2

British Multi-Engined Support Aircraft Of WW2

German Marine And Transport Aircraft Of World War 2

US Carrier Aircraft Of World War 2

US Bombers Of World War 2

VTOL Aircraft - The Story Of Vertical Flight

From Dino's Car Wash & Valet

Full interior exterior valet , wash and wax after eighteen months of short journeys and never quite getting round to tidying things up got the full works and it looks and smells like a new car again which wont go wrong with getting it valued shortly as the end of the purchase agreement rapidly approaches and I have to decide whether to keep it or put any equity towards another new car.

From my wife

New extra-wide , extra-deep ,extra-padded ,  swivelling , rise and fall office chair with strengthened metal leg frame and large castors.     Last one was an economy version which had got a bit unsteady before my wife noticed than the central spindle had broken through the plastic leg frame and I was rocking between the spindle and whatever castor was touching the floor.     That in turn had replaced one of exactly the same price/model where the very small castors did not roll well on carpet and had started to bend out off the plastic legs so hoping that the combination of extra cost / stronger construction / metal leg frame and larger castors will do the trick , definitely far more comfortable to sit in.

Some sheets from Draw Decals.

In 1/144 an Alaska Airlines scheme for the DC-3. In 1/48, Hamilton Standard logos and data as well as newly printed Red Pegasus Sheets for Amelia Earheart's Vega 5B, an Antarctic Staggerwing, and Louise Thaden's Staggerwing.

A new phaser pedal which I built for myself from a Pedalparts PCB. It's a clone of the Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter phaser which itself is a modified clone of the later Ross Phaser (which was based heavily on the Electro Harmonix Small Stone phaser- there's nothing new under the sun). A straightforward build and worked first time. There was no provision for an onboard indicator LED or current limiting resistor, which I thought was pretty shonky. I don't like being forced into buying auxiliary circuit boards, and I wouldn't have had room for one anyway, due to the footswitch that has an illuminated ring around it.

I had just finished my own Ross Phaser clone, though I performed quite a few more modifications. The majority of the mods that the Grand Orbiter has were taken from the same source as I got mine: a discussion about how to modify the Ross Phaser at DIY Stompboxes. One that is new is a change of one of the capacitor values in the all-pass filters (from 3.3nF to 2.2nF) which does result in a different tone. Enough for me to consider it well worth keeping alongside my own Ross and Small Stone clones.

I believe that's 23 phasers in the collection now!

242452436_4798522483493180_7241461894496

• Like 4

I just saw a Revell 1/72 Halifax B.II on eBay with a buy it now of £25 posted and while I'm probably overspent for the month, I thought it unlikely that I'd find another at the price. Have you seen what people are asking these days? Yikes.

Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone has any photos of No. 35 Sqn Halifax B.IIIs?

Yes, but do you really want a Revell Mk.II?  You do realise that around half of the multitude of parts are the wrong shape?  To be fair, the fuselage is rather good if you can get a new tailwheel, and re-organise the bomb-bay to three-a-side  not two.  (Fairly easy if you cut open the outer bombbay doors and adjust the hinges outboard a little.}  The less said the better about the rest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

You'd best get your finger out and get a proper collection of them going then, eh?!

I quite like phasers and have had some good ones in my time (a Mutron BiPhase being one that I had and sold when skint....) and some that were not so good - you know, the soulless green ones.  At the moment I'm using an EHX Bad Stone and I like the simplicity and sound of it, so I reckon I'll stick with it.

In Fuzz news, I'm still jonesing for a Zander Circuitry American Geek, too.

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, but do you really want a Revell Mk.II?  You do realise that around half of the multitude of parts are the wrong shape?  To be fair, the fuselage is rather good if you can get a new tailwheel, and re-organise the bomb-bay to three-a-side  not two.  (Fairly easy if you cut open the outer bombbay doors and adjust the hinges outboard a little.}  The less said the better about the rest.

I agree that the Halifax is poorly served in 1/72, but there's what, four kits of the Halifax in this scale? I have a couple of the Matchbox kits (not without their problems), an Airfix B.III and now two Revell B.I/IIs. As my main interest is local aviation history, I think that I'm limited to just No. 35 Sqn for the B.III, which leaves Nos. 35, 138, 161 and 405 squadrons with B.IIs and B.Vs.

I'd rather have a poor kit than no kit at all. It's not a great choice, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A new phaser pedal which I built for myself from a Pedalparts PCB. It's a clone of the Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter phaser which itself is a modified clone of the later Ross Phaser (which was based heavily on the Electro Harmonix Small Stone phaser- there's nothing new under the sun). A straightforward build and worked first time. There was no provision for an onboard indicator LED or current limiting resistor, which I thought was pretty shonky. I don't like being forced into buying auxiliary circuit boards, and I wouldn't have had room for one anyway, due to the footswitch that has an illuminated ring around it.

I had just finished my own Ross Phaser clone, though I performed quite a few more modifications. The majority of the mods that the Grand Orbiter has were taken from the same source as I got mine: a discussion about how to modify the Ross Phaser at DIY Stompboxes. One that is new is a change of one of the capacitor values in the all-pass filters (from 3.3nF to 2.2nF) which does result in a different tone. Enough for me to consider it well worth keeping alongside my own Ross and Small Stone clones.

The more important question is... with all these phasers, can any of them be set for Stun?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

You'd best get your finger out and get a proper collection of them going then, eh?!

I quite like phasers and have had some good ones in my time (a Mutron BiPhase being one that I had and sold when skint....) and some that were not so good - you know, the soulless green ones.  At the moment I'm using an EHX Bad Stone and I like the simplicity and sound of it, so I reckon I'll stick with it.

In Fuzz news, I'm still jonesing for a Zander Circuitry American Geek, too.

My next phaser will be a Bi-Phase clone, or at least a slightly lesser version of it. There won't be the square wave option (not that I'd use that anyway) and there's another feature that'd missing which I forget at the moment, but it has all the really useful options. At a later date, I shall build a full fat Bi-Phase into a 1U rack enclosure I have knocking around.

This is my Small Stone clone:

21078640_1696635317015261_57471742828478

I added a resonance control so that I could dial it back in colour mode. IMO, the best sounds are where the feedback is set between 10-25%. It sounds fantastic there.

By "green phaser" do you mean the Boss ones and if so, was there one in particular? I've only heard good things about the PH-1r (which is electronically very similar to my favourite phaser-the Ibanez PT-9) and have a PH-2, which while isn't your classic phase, offers something a bit different. I haven't heard a single good thing about the PH-3 though.

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

My next phaser will be a Bi-Phase clone, or at least a slightly lesser version of it. There won't be the square wave option (not that I'd use that anyway) and there's another feature that'd missing which I forget at the moment, but it has all the really useful options. At a later date, I shall build a full fat Bi-Phase into a 1U rack enclosure I have knocking around.

That could be very promising - I agree with the square wave not being the most useful feature; the phaser's sweep is what you want it for, and square wave's not really conducive to this, in my view.

I added a resonance control so that I could dial it back in colour mode. IMO, the best sounds are where the feedback is set between 10-25%. It sounds fantastic there.

Now that looks cool, and having a resonance control can only be a good thing.  I'd be interested in hearing what the pedal sounds like.

By "green phaser" do you mean the Boss ones and if so, was there one in particular? I've only heard good things about the PH-1r (which is electronically very similar to my favourite phaser-the Ibanez PT-9) and have a PH-2, which while isn't your classic phase, offers something a bit different. I haven't heard a single good thing about the PH-3 though.

Yeah, guilty as charged.  I had a PH-2 and while there was nothing inherently wrong with it but it was too clean and didn't make my juices flow.  The PH-3 was just the same with added ones and zeroes and a few gimmicks.  Again, I didn't hate it but it left me wanting more.

Interestingly, one of the best phasers I remember was one built into the Peavey Deuce amp.  Now, in mitigation, I haven't heard one in action since 1998 and my youthful ears may not have been as discerning as they are now.  Rose-tinted spectacles may also be a factor....

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

The more important question is... with all these phasers, can any of them be set for Stun?

Stun is good, bludgeon is better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I agree that the Halifax is poorly served in 1/72, but there's what, four kits of the Halifax in this scale? I have a couple of the Matchbox kits (not without their problems), an Airfix B.III and now two Revell B.I/IIs. As my main interest is local aviation history, I think that I'm limited to just No. 35 Sqn for the B.III, which leaves Nos. 35, 138, 161 and 405 squadrons with B.IIs and B.Vs.

I'd rather have a poor kit than no kit at all. It's not a great choice, but it is what it is.

Don't forget the Revell B.III. 

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Handley-Page-HALIFAX-B-Mk.III.html

Chris

After a self(not the wife) imposed exile from e-bay I thought I'd grab a couple of kits for the winter build season so started with

what I thought would be a couple of no chancer's but happily no other bidders out there so Trumpeter's 1/32 Mig 3 and Hellcat

on the way both picked up for under thirty quid each!

• Like 2

Been away for a few days so hit The Works and a couple of second-hand bookshops on my travels.

The Lions Charity Bookshop In Alnwick at £1.00 each

The RAF AT 100 - A Century In Photographs published 2017 by Mirrorpix

The Complete Encyclopedia Of Flight 1945 - 2005 by John Batchelor & Malcolm V Lowe published 2005 by Rebo International , typical 'Encyclopedia Of . . . . . ' coverage but a lot of artwork and cutaways from 'Air & Space' and the like.

Pictorial History Of The RAF Volume One 1918 - 1939  and  Volume Two 1939 - 1945 , both by John W R Taylor (with Philip JR Moyes for Volume Two) and published 1968 and 1969 respectively by Ian Allan , had Volume Three (and a spare) which covered up to the 1969 for years so at a £1 a pop these complete the set.

Barter Books In Alnwick for a wee bit more than £1.00 each

Airfix Magazine Guides - No.10 Luftwaffe Camouflage Of World War 2 by Bryan Philpott ; No.14 American Fighter Of World War 2 by Alan W Hall ; No.18 USAAF Camouflage of World War 2 by Jerry Scutts , all published by PSL 1975 , 1976 , 1976 respectively and all as good as if not actually brand-new.

Squadron Signal In Action No.100 - S2F Tracker by Jim Sullivan published 1990 by Squadron/Signal Publications.

Wolfpack - Hunting MiGs Over Vietnam by Jerry Scutts published 1987 by Airlife.

New from the The Works in Falkirk at prices ranging from 10 pence to £3.50

Haynes Owner's Workshop Manuals - The Moon by David M Harland published 2016 ; Spirit Of St, Louis by Leo Marriott published 2018 ; Avro Lancaster by Jarrod Cotter and Paul Blackah published 2008 ; Vickers Wellington by Iain R Murray published 2012 ; Supermarine Spitfire by Dr. Alfred Price and Paul Blackah published 2007 ; Fairey Swordfish by Jim Humberstone published 2014 ; Flavoured Spirits by Tim Hampson published 2017.

From Airfix

Airfix Club Magazine - Issue 3:2021 delivered while I was away.

Imminent Purchase

A New TV Aerial , little bits been falling off over the past couple of winters with no apparent ill-effect but no terrestrial signal on our return yesterday and looking up there is an obviously important black box dangling from a wire swinging freely in the breeze so phone call left for local aerial erector to call on Monday but can still access some live as well as Prime , Netflix and catch-up via the internet.

• Like 1

Visited a new (to me anyways) model shop of sorts. It only sells Games Workshop and gaming supplies. Very well stocked and came away with a GW Bloat Drone, a Blight Hauler and  a Space Marines Tactical War Suit. All for less than the MRP which is always good for GW products 👍 Also got some Army Painter grass tufts in varying types and a couple of pots of GW 'Technical Paints' Best of all its only a 20 min drive from me and a 3 min drive from my parents house so its easy to get to from either end 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1