What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

11 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hi Steve, I know how it is, my prescription is a non standard one and it always an expensive do. Still I can do close up work on models without aids and so it is not all bad! 

Hi Martin,

I need vari-focal prismatic lenses due to double vision. My distance/mid vision hasn't changed but my near vision has, hence the new goggles. I always go for the thinnest lenses i can along with them being plastic and light reactive so i don't need to switch to prescription sunnies 😎 Like yourself the plus side is i will be able to still model without magnifiers... so all good there!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Popped over to High Wycombe at the weekend to have a nosey at Collectibles R Us. Fairly decent store - large collection of kits - Revell, Academy, Airfix (and a few others that I now cannot remember at all!) But, a huge selection of railway stuff, and also die-cast collectibles. Seemed to be mainly Corgi from what I could see, but I didn't really pay much attention to any of that stuff, I was only really interested in the kits! If in the area, I would say it's worth having a pop in to see what's available. They also had a few sci-fi bits in stock (Star Trek, Star Wars & Thunderbirds!)

Picked up a couple of kits from them:

1/48 Academy P-38F Lightning - Glacier Girl boxing

1/72 Airfix Hawk - NHS Charities Together boxing.

Was going to wait until Telford - but a lot of places seem to be selling out so pulled the trigger and bought the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire boxing - Eagles Call from Jedlam. Decent price - including postage works out to about £10 less than buying from Hannants if buying at the normal price, then paying postage on top. And talking of Hannants, various bits of masking on the way and a replacement pitot for an Airfix Buccaneer. Opened a kit that's been in the stash for a while to start building, and found the pitot had snapped in half! As I had another of the same, I swapped sprues over, and decided that I would just order a replacement brass pitot from Master for the damaged kit (comes with a replacement IFR probe as well!)

• Like 1

Been an italeri  sea harrier on eBay for forever sans decals box and instructions. Shocked every time I see it that it hasn’t sold given it’s by accounts the best shar in 1/72. Pulled the plug tonight as I have the decals spare, might even enter it in the high wing GB as a nice simple build. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, fatfingers said:

An eye test and a new pair of glasses... An expensive job due the the lenses i have. Thats the modelling budget gone for the rest of the year! 🥺

Regards,

Steve

Tell me about it. I recently spent ££££ on test, and two pairs - one for PC and one for reading.

And I STILL have to use my head magnifier thing. 

• Sad 1

Found a tenner in a jacket I hadn’t worn since covid, decided as I’ve gone cashless to use it up on kit from the local, knew exactly which one from my visit last week so got myself an Airfix spitfire 22…..paid by card lol, if I’d know I’d do that would have grabbed the eduard xvi profipack as well….maybe a fiver will appear by magic for my next visit. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

A bit of a music day;

From HMV, Iron Maiden's new album, Senjutsu; Big Big Train's Common Ground and Public Service Broadcasting (bottom left) White Star Liner (4 track EP about the Titanic)

Sam_9407

From the Post Office;

British Army vehicles presentation pack;

Sam_9408

and the other part of the presentation pack;

Sam_9409

Also purchased was the new Mick Herron Slough House book, "Slough House."

I’m currently playing the Iron Maiden; it's definitely Iron Maiden !!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

I had a delivery waiting for me when I got in after work.  It was a box of Colourcoats paints from Sovereign Hobbies (thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies!) which I'll have plenty of fun using.  Three of those paints were the WWII Desert Scheme, which was a flagrant gateway purchase.

• Haha 2

Purchased from BNA Model World a fortnight ago, I just received MP Originals' 1/48 front-mounted crane conversion for the Tamiya CCKW along with Armory's 1/144 wheels for F-14 A/B, F-14 D, and F-111. :penguin:

A new 0.4mm needle and nozzle for my airbrush along with the Mr Hobby jar opener, from the always reliable air-craft.net.

3 Sharpe novels for the Kindle, and The Little Drummer Girl on audiobook

Finally my pre-order Camel & Co from the big H

From Hannants

Pre-ordered Xtradecal X48224 de Havilland Chipmunk in Military Service Collection Part 4

And a couple of reduced 1/48 decal sheets

Xtradecal X48046 RAF Meteors F.8 & T.7

Alley Cat ACD48011 Tucano Display 2013

From Airfix

Aircraft Mystery Bundle with A04019A 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X , A02069 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 and A01003B 1/72 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk

Vintage Classics Mystery Bundle with A14002V 1/24 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 , A01055V Bristol Bulldog and A02334V 1/76 Sherman Calliope

• Like 1

Boston rear compartment internals and figures arrived, as well as a spine piece for an F-4.

y4mL5gYGkc0Uv-e_TxHsXiLGBpk-QumJFFj7DLoZ

And some light reading material: 
y4mtERJxKw-qLKbVjTKbEEd742NzDEYEY4N_uIuW

The book covers the technical and organisational aspects of  Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe radar stations, radio beacons (X and Y beam for instance)  and their infrastructure in Holland during the occupation.  As the subject matter is rather niche, books like these are largely self-published.

• Like 6

Two books from a Scouts charity shop near Boston today..

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor. Large paperback, over 490 pages!

Tank Men - Robert Kershaw. (The Human story of tanks at war) also 400 plus pages.

Both books for a quid. Bargain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor. Large paperback, over 490 pages!

Be forewarned that Beevor confuses Yakov Pavlov, of Pavlov's House fame, with Archimandrite Cyril Pavlov, an unrelated postwar functionary in the Russian Orthodox Church.

• Thanks 1