What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

A Special Hobby Cobra AH-1G, Cobras over Vietnam, in week two of their sales, one of those kits I haven't got & should have one of at least. Now to find if I can get Ride of the Valkyries from Spotify for when I build it. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Going to do this up in a diorama for a bloke who has kindly made nearly all of my diorama bases for me - often at short notice & much messing about to cut out slots and trenches for batteries, wiring and switches.  He says he will build a wooden & glass case for the dio.

He owns a real one of these which he has restored.

I've not found any images on the interweb of one of these ever being built?  It seems to be a limited run resin kit, not cheap ($AU112 from The Parts Box in Adelaide).

SxUolAH.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

A Special Hobby Cobra AH-1G, Cobras over Vietnam, in week two of their sales, one of those kits I haven't got & should have one of at least. Now to find if I can get Ride of the Valkyries from Spotify for when I build it. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A new strimmer. The old one was leaking fuel like mad, and the cost of a service and replacement parts wasn't much less than the price of a new one. So Wednesday lunch time, I looked on line and chose one from ManoMano (other online retailers are available) for 140 euros, and Thursday at 2pm, it was delivered.  Now I can go out and cut a swathe through the elephant grass. Now that's what I call good service.

John.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

A new strimmer. The old one was leaking fuel like mad, and the cost of a service and replacement parts wasn't much less than the price of a new one. So Wednesday lunch time, I looked on line and chose one from ManoMano (other online retailers are available) for 140 euros, and Thursday at 2pm, it was delivered.  Now I can go out and cut a swathe through the elephant grass. Now that's what I call good service.

John.

Well, I spoke to soon!! Went out to start it for the first time (be very wary when something says "easy start"). Followed all of the instructions, and proceeded to pull on the start cord. Twice the damned thing flew out of my hand and sprung back and the toggle caught the thumb on my other hand, cutting it and bruising under the nail. Finally got it going and was happily working my way through the elephant grass until it ran our of fuel (it's 65cc and very thirsty). Refilled and tried to restart it. It appears to be seized as it won't move an inch. I'm beginning to think that the damned thing is cursed.

John.

• Sad 7

Bummer, John.

Any neighbours around with goats? I've heard they will eat anything..

---

Supporting the F-104 restoration and maintenance done by the HVV - Historical Flight Volkel. 

A bigger brother to the 1/72 'staafs' in the stash.

y4mSXnxUZxbaLkul07Jtlij6r1MFkKEANN4oQ_K8

--edit-- 
And a late delivery, apparently the postie came around when I went shopping for food... 
A reproduction of a Photorecce shot of Fliegerhorst Volkel, taken in June 1944 by (very likely) a Lockheed F-5E from 13th PRS.

y4mDqo5oKH_KYe0mDY5R7atigoR_mv6CPxUZzigc

• Like 7

I finally got my wheels for my 2 current projects and something for a new future project from Hannants today. Wheels for my 1/48 Privateer and a 1/48 Beaufort I'm working on. And a future project doing Wing Commander Walter "Taffy" Holden's short hop in an E.E Lightning Mk6 XM135 on 22 July 1966.

51377994978_5b337fbd3d_c.jpg

I'll have to make the correct aircraft numbers but that's ok.

• Like 1

Odd week for post , a few items awaited but apart from the Chipmunks via Parcelforce only seen the actual postie in the street twice this week and that was mid-afternoon both times rather than the usual 0930-1130 when she usually parks across the road while delivering at this end , maybe short-staffed with holidays or Covid.

From Hannants

Pair of back-ordered Airfix A04105 1:48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 kits.

Via eBay

1/50 Unbranded 3D printed single-piece vehicles – 2 x Landrover Defender 110 , 1 x CMP F15A open truck , 1 x CMP F15A canvas backed truck.     

There are some photos and more information at  - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097794-3d-printed-vehicles-for-diorama-use/

• Like 1

1. An Aeroclub  1/72 Gnat F.1. An ebay 'win' . The postage was extraordinarily high but I got the kit cheap enough, all under a tenner

2. a fresh bottle of Rustin's Terebine Driers. Add some of this to Humbrol enamels and it really speeds up the drying, especially of the gloss paints

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

1. An Aeroclub  1/72 Gnat F.1. An ebay 'win' . The postage was extraordinarily high but I got the kit cheap enough, all under a tenner

2. a fresh bottle of Rustin's Terebine Driers. Add some of this to Humbrol enamels and it really speeds up the drying, especially of the gloss paints

The Gnat is a lovely little kit - mind the canopy though, as you only have one chance!

Trevor

• Like 1

My latest modelling acquisition has nothing to do with kits but to me it is great change.

My stash, as is many peoples is up in the loft, my house is a 1970's creation so I can just about kneel up in it.

As I am not as nimble as I was, even with a new knee it got to be a bother getting up there so I decided on a change, a couple of years ago I had a new two story extension built with a garage for my motorbikes on the ground floor, having sold one bike I had more space so a cunning plan was formulated.

My latest acquisition was a pair of eBay shelves, which took me a couple of days to assemble as they are modern wonders of engineering and require no bolts at all.

So off to the loft I went and passed down my precious kits into my wife's waiting arms, these were then shuttled downstairs and installed into the new shelves and don't they look good.

I have only moved my 1/32 scale kits though the 1/48 kits and the Military models stash are still up in the loft awaiting their fate.

And here they are, I did miss some of the older 1/32 scale kits but it looks like they can come down too.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, spitfire said:

My latest modelling acquisition has nothing to do with kits but to me it is great change.

My stash, as is many peoples is up in the loft, my house is a 1970's creation so I can just about kneel up in it.

As I am not as nimble as I was, even with a new knee it got to be a bother getting up there so I decided on a change, a couple of years ago I had a new two story extension built with a garage for my motorbikes on the ground floor, having sold one bike I had more space so a cunning plan was formulated.

My latest acquisition was a pair of eBay shelves, which took me a couple of days to assemble as they are modern wonders of engineering and require no bolts at all.

So off to the loft I went and passed down my precious kits into my wife's waiting arms, these were then shuttled downstairs and installed into the new shelves and don't they look good.

I have only moved my 1/32 scale kits though the 1/48 kits and the Military models stash are still up in the loft awaiting their fate.

And here they are, I did miss some of the older 1/32 scale kits but it looks like they can come down too.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

The downside of that, of course, is your wife now knows the size of your stash!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito B.IV, which will be my fourth Tamiya IV and my tenth Tamiya Mossie. I'm on a real Mosquito kick at the moment (currently converting an Airfix II/VI into an NF.XII) and the price was reasonable.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Airfix XVI, though. As soon as I see one for a good price......

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 593jones said:

The downside of that, of course, is your wife now knows the size of your stash!

I'm lucky in that regard as my better half is an avid supporter of my hobby and being a woman she can spot the bargains, at Telford I pass her a bundle of cash and a list and set her off.

It's amazing what she get knocked off prices, better than I could.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, spitfire said:

I'm lucky in that regard as my better half is an avid supporter of my hobby and being a woman she can spot the bargains, at Telford I pass her a bundle of cash and a list and set her off.

It's amazing what she get knocked off prices, better than I could.

Cheers

Dennis

She definitely sounds like a keeper!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito B.IV, which will be my fourth Tamiya IV and my tenth Tamiya Mossie. I'm on a real Mosquito kick at the moment (currently converting an Airfix II/VI into an NF.XII) and the price was reasonable.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Airfix XVI, though. As soon as I see one for a good price......

It would be nice if I had mine, according to the Airfix website my order, made on the 11th, is still processing!

Books! 

After deliveries of the falling down water in Boston this morning I had to head South. In Kirton village is a Scouts charity shop.

They will shortly be moving around the corner so needed to clear some stock.  I got five books for a quid! Shame there weren't any model kits there!

Antony Beevor - D Day

Band of Brothers - Stephen E Ambrose ( I must have left my previous copy in Saudi).

Pegasus Bridge - Stephen E Ambrose

Tough Talk - A book of true tales of the East end tough men. Could be interesting.

San Andreas - Alistair Maclean. Fiction. Sabotage tales on a WW2 Hospital ship. Again, could be interesting.

• Like 4

I've had a busyish couple of days. An Eastern Express, PZL Wilga, from a local, ie NZ vendor surprisingly, maybe it'll appear in the high wing GB, I've a liking for these smaller GA aircraft & have seen a couple of these in New Zealand. Also a couple of F-15s, an older Italeri F-15E Strike Eagle, kit #166 with the GPU-5A pod & an Airfix F-15A starter set, both from the local auction site. I feel more comfortable with these older more basic kits than the new beaut ultra detailed kits in a way, which makes it harder to explain my latest purchase, of a Fine Molds F-4E Vietnam boxing from Hobby Search 1999.co.jp who had them in stock while HLJ were out of stock, bird in the hand & all that. Maybe I'll just use the decals on one of my older Hasegawa kits. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

A Rye Field Sherman Firefly Vc. As a neophyte modeller of armour, I welcome advice.

Start a WIP thread in the AFV section, and the advice will come.

John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1