What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

Yet another Airfix Beaufighter to add to the five already in my stash that are earmarked for specific schemes..... I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more.....

Cheers,

Mark

I keep saying that about Sherman's. Trust me when i say it don't work as i recently scored another Dragon Sherman III and an Asuka M4A2 DV on ebay! 

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

..... I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more. I must not buy any more.....

That's what my parents said to me before I moved out ... You've already gotten too many and you'll never build them all ...

• Haha 2

I recently purchased a Super Scale Buccaneer decal sheet specifically for one set of markings that I wanted to build. I was at Lossiemouth when one of the Buccs went into the North Sea - sadly no survivors. I was a member of the funeral detail that helped bury the nav, so want to build a bucc in those colours as a personal memorial.

Don't want to waste the rest of the markings on the sheet, so "need" to purchase about another dozen or so Airfix buccs (real hardship I know....)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

I keep saying that about Sherman's. Trust me when i say it don't work as i recently scored another Dragon Sherman III and an Asuka M4A2 DV on ebay! 

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I know - certain types get you like that, don't they? I'm not very up on armour, but I know there were a lot of variations in the Sherman. I'll keep an eye out for your builds!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Well its been 8 weeks since Ive been able to do anything do to lack of supplies and all of my Iwata’s needing work. I had my B-day yesterday (50th) and was able to get a $ infusion. So today bought two kits (Helldiver and Ki.32) and a brand new Iwata Neo, that and also ordered 12 of the new Tamiya lacquers along with some more Hataka lacquers. The Tamiya lacquers are 1/2 the cost of standard Tamiya and worth a shot since I like using lacquers on my builds. At least until a legitimate enamel comes along thats going to stick around. Going to what constitutes the closest thing to a hobby shop tomorrow and see what else I can grab. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Congrats Dennis!

13 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Don't want to waste the rest of the markings on the sheet

Sounds familiar... originally, I figured it would be a good way to keep control of the stash - just get what you have decal sheets for. 
Well, that didn't quite go to plan :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Don't want to waste the rest of the markings on the sheet,

In my misspent youth (30-60), when I used to build wingy things, I ended up with dozens of part used decal sheets. Most got donated to the IPMS Decal Bank, but I still have  few left that I'm never going to use.

John.

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had my B-day yesterday (50th)

Belated happy birthday, Dennis! 50 is in my recent past, so yes, you're just reaching your prime!!! :)

Nice haul of pressies, too!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:39 AM, Procopius said:

I maintain Dune is one of the greatest and most interesting science fiction universes, totally wasted and squandered by being set in the interstellar equivalent of Alabama and with the least interesting of Herbert's characters as the protagonists. More Fenring!

Never read the book, but I saw the first film on release in 1984 and it freaked me out a bit. But then it was David Lynch..

Acquisitions wise, I've just picked up some Eagle Cal decals so I can finally finish the Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109G that's been in the cupboard of doom for two years. 

• Like 1

From Hive.co.uk

US Combat Aircraft Colours Over Vietnam 1964-1975. Vol. 1 US Air Force by Jaroslaw Dobrzynski and Illustrated by Janusz Swiatlon, Marcelo Ribeiro, Mads Bangs , published 2021 by Mushroom Model Publications in their White Series , had it on pre-order for £27.45 (£40 RRP) with free shipping , only arrived this morning but a quick skim through shows a good mix of text , artwork and photographs of the major USAF combat aircraft.    Volume 2 covering USN & USMC for the same period can be pre-ordered at the same price.

Postscript Books

Some approx. half-price titles from their current catalogue

The Cuban Missile Crisis – Thirteen Days On An Atomic Knife Edge , October 1962 by Phil Carradice , published by Pen & Sword 2017

Cold War Jet Combat – Air-To-Air Jet Fighter Operations 1950-1972 by Martin W. Bowman , published by Pen & Sword 2016

Jet Wars In The Nuclear Age – 1972 To The Present Day by Martin W. Bowman , published by Pen & Sword 2016

Under Every Leaf – How Britain Played The Greater Game From Afghanistan to Africa by William Beaver , published by Biteback 2019 , Victorian period activities of the War Office Intelligence Division

Fact-Finders Llamas by Katie Wooley , published by QED 2019 , picture book for my two year old great-granddaughter who went walking with Alpacas last week and while one will not not quite be the other to the purist they are all 'pacas' to her whether Llamas , Alpacas , Vicuna or Guanaco 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Well, that didn't quite go to plan :P

Erhm, about that:

Now I need another random Comet boxing as the decals for CSR would be left over, and I already built CSS from the ancient Airfix kit .

The AZ Hawk: there's a partially used DutchDecal sheet in the stash with an aluminium-finish H-75.

:banghead:

Incidentally: it looks like AZ/KP have pulled the P-36/H75 Hawks off the site completely. 

No idea how the IL-2 is going to pan out yet. We'll see. 

On the way out of AMS, spotted an RV MiG-23BN - those are supposed to be pretty ok.

And a second-hand Matchbox Siskin, still sealed. 

y4m__CerschOGdgeL4WeB3jDIB0p2gj5L4l9INJc

• Like 2

A very restrained purchase of the Xtradecal sheet of stencils for Grey and Green RAF Phantoms to use on a Fujimi Phantom for the F4 group build. The kit decals are looking a bit ropey after 30 years and some of the colours look a bit vivid

• Like 1

Special Hobby is currently selling their 1/72 Barracuda at 50% off on their website, which meant that even with shipping, buying two was a perfectly cromulent price.

• Like 6

Couple of things over the weekend.

Saturday I picked up James Holland’s Sicily ‘43. Loved his Burma ‘44 book about the battle of the Admin Box and the podcast he does with Al Murray.

Sunday I went to the Avon IPMS show and amongst other things picked up the Tasman Beaufort I/IV kit - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tasman-model-products-ug2004-bristol-beaufort-mk-i-vi--1101906 and the MPM Blenheim mk V kit https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpm-production-72501-bristol-blenheim-mk-v--112189 to add to my collection of Bristol’s (no sniggering at the back!).

• Like 2

Goodies from Avon's show:

SAM_9235

Some EBMA stuff; a painting stand for AFV's, 

SAM_9236

An aircraft paint stand and a paint bottle rack (as yet not made)

SAM_9238

And some kits to go on them;

SAM_9239

SAM_9240

and finally

SAM_9241

• Like 6

New flooring!

Carpet in the man cave has got rather a bit tired over the last (very nearly) 8 years. So we have finally decided to replace with a little bit more hard wearing (as the Americans call it) engineered hard wood flooring! 

Yep - Laminate flooring! We've decided to do 2 rooms, my study, and the spare room that the wife uses as an office as she is now working from home pretty much full time. Main reason for deciding on the laminate, is that it would easier to clean any accidental liquid spills from a hard floor, rather than a carpet which would soak up any liquids. Yes, could buy a washer type vac, but paint has a habit of staining very quickly and not coming out of carpets very quickly or easily! So laminate it is. Office room first on Tuesday, then swap all my display shelves, computer equipment, desks etc over on Wednesday, and then my study on Thursday. Using the same colour in both rooms so that any off-cuts can be used from one room to the next to save a little bit of money. We've also said that we will dispose of the old carpets to save on the waste disposal fee (saves us about £60 on the overall bill).

No modelling for about a week, and after tomorrow evening - no PC gaming for a week(ish) either. Thankfully I have a spare, small laptop I can use for any emails, surfing, or other PC admin  need to do.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 07:59, Muddyf said:

to add to my collection of Bristol’s

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's always on the lookout for a nice Bristol or two;  I've just got my hands on a nice, big twin set:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4