What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

Some more paint to add to my small collection of AK. Will be used on my next build, if I ever get all the " stuff " moved out of my room, so I can get to the table!

51355570336_cff50f94e1_b.jpg

This is what I've already got:

51216361616_6a2bf00b4f_b.jpg

51338095553_a25b58551a_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

Not a kit, but related - a GSI Creos Mr Hobby Procon Boy LWA airbrush, the 0.5mm trigger action version with the fan jets for a bit of sideways action. Hopefully it will be a bit better for large areas than my Iwata HP-C is. 

• Like 3

After much difficulty checking out at Hannants, I finally managed to get an order through. Mostly canopy masks for kits I have (as loyal readers may recall, I got rid of most of them, but thanks to Cookie and Stew I have a truly astonishing number of Typhoons and P-40s). But also three decal sheets:

Airdecals British Training Aircraft

DK Decals P-40K/M/N in RAAF service

Xtradecals Spitfire XIV 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Some more paint to add to my small collection of AK.

Ah, I was going to ask in the paint section...but as you have these, could you clarify this, these are lacquer acrylics,   and use a hotter thinner, and are not intermixable with standard Tamiya acrylics, or Gunze Mr Hobby aqueous,  which I think you examples of,  I presume these have quite strong smell of lacquer thinners* (cellulose thinners in the UK) but are like Gunze Mr.Color?   (i don't have any lacquer acrylics to compare)  but i was considering buying some to investigate.

*as in, you will get a bit dizzy off the solvents?

And... how do the match up colour wise with other RAF paint?   I am wary that the RAF Sky has "FS34424" on the label for starters...(I'll need to check in daylight, but even a quick eyeball under a halogen shows a difference between FS34424 and MAP Sky) 

I have some AK Acrylics that are 'not great'  matches for the RAF museum chips.... (along with most of the other acrylics I have by Xtracrylix and Vallejo)  and have been putting off ordering some more Tamiya to carry on my mixing task.   Be happy to do some visual matches if you can be bothered to do some brush out on some plastic card,  though @Tail-Dragon has the RAF Museum chip and is closer to home.

I just don't want to buy more "RAF" paint that doesn't actually match the chips is all....

Perhaps worth a new thread in WW2 or paint ?   

cheers

T

Some Brengun resin wheels for my 1/72 Mosquito NF.XII build (AIrfix/Airkit). Although Airkit provides some spoked wheel halves in the resin conversion parts, these (and the kit parts) don't have any tread pattern and life's too short to try to scribe a block tread in 1/72!

I paid £4.29 (posted) for the Brengun wheels, which was a bargain and may have been about the same as I paid for the Airfix Mossie!

Speaking of which, I bought the Airfix Mossie/Airkit conversion combo off eBay a fair few years ago and I've just noticed that it has two starboard upper wing halves and no port upper wing half. I've nicked one from another kit to tide me over for now, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was the reason it was offloaded on eBay. I'll have to try to find another wing part somewhere.......

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I've just noticed that it has two starboard upper wing halves and no port upper wing half. I've nicked one from another kit to tide me over for now, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was the reason it was offloaded on eBay. I'll have to try to find another wing part somewhere.......

That the old Airfix one with the FB.XVIII option? I have one second hand box missing a fuselage half. If you need spares, you're welcome to it :)

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

presume these have quite strong smell of lacquer thinners*

My two penneth;

They do have a very strong smell, but to me not of cellulose thinners - it's rather horrible tbh and different from both Mr Hobby and Tamiya laquers. I use Mr Color levelling thinners with them, but haven't tried mixing them with any other paints. Mr Color thinners are not as hot as true cellulose thinners. I have heard that originally the real colours were 'true' laquers  but they've allegedly changed the formulation to a 'hybrid' (as is the apparent current popular terminology!) acrylic laquer like the original Tamiya or Mr color acrylics. I bought some when they first came out and can see no difference in use, or in smell, to those I've bought recently. I haven't tried thinning them with IPA as I do with the original Tamiya's, but IPA does clean them out of the airbrush.

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

And... how do the match up colour wise with other RAF paint? 

Can't answer that as I haven't used the aircraft colours yet - and I'd only be able to match them with other model paints which could well be inaccurate in themselves! What I do recall was Mike Starmer posting online as being rather upset when they first introduced the British armour colours as he stated he'd done a lot of work with AK to get the colours 'real', but they'd apparently ignored said work and gone their own way, releasing colours he believed with completely different and not at all accurate....

What I will say is they airbrush beautifully and are my current favourite paint to spray.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Interceptors by James Goulding & The Blue max by Jack D Hunter, from Abebooks & Thriftbooks respectively, blaming some of the inmates that frequent these pages on these two. :) Also a RSModels Do22 from Modelimex, a bit spendy really but it was a sacrifice I was prepared to make, the best price I could find at the time anyway. A Fujimi Ferrari 330p4 from Hobbysearch 1999.co.jp, They're good for car stuff. Now I need to check out whether I need a conversion kit to do the Spyder that Amon & Bandini won the 1967 Daytona 24 hours in or can I scratch it?

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

That the old Airfix one with the FB.XVIII option? I have one second hand box missing a fuselage half. If you need spares, you're welcome to it :)

That's the feller! Let me confirm that I have indeed identified the missing part correctly and then I may well take you up on the offer. I'm happy to pay for the postage.

Many thanks,

Mark.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:36 PM, treker_ed said:

In the middle of a Tamiya P-47D Bubbletop - rather had a bit of a disaster with some of the marking decals....:oops: Found the same markings on a Super Scale set at Hannants  :thumbsup:So had to order them!

But of course couldn't just order them, oh no!

On the way is also an Eduard Tempest II, Eduard masking set Airfix Buccaneer 1/72 (new kit) and some PE for the Kinetic FRS1.

But that's not all.

Due to the price increase that was advised during last week, I decided that I was also going to order myself an Airfix Vulcan and DH Chipmunk direct from Airfix before the 10% price rise hit. That order was placed on Thursday lunchtime, and received notification late on Friday afternoon that the order was shipping. So have these on the way as well. So much for not buying anything more for the next couple of months at least (well not until my next holiday to Devon in September.....)

Vulcan & Chippie arrived:clap2:

No notification from Hermes so lucky I was in - box bashed around, hole in outer box, and Vulcan box bashed around :cry:

Complaint made to Airfix as second order/delivery in a row to arrive in this state. I appreciate that it's the delivery company that is at fault, but they are delivering on behalf of Airfix and are thus responsible for the condition that the goods arrive in, but any damage that may have happened would have had to be made good by Airfix, so ultimately would have come out of Airfixs' pocket. Thankfully on this occasion no damage to contents, but if this continues to happen, it's only a matter of time before something is damaged that will need replacing. 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Ah, I was going to ask in the paint section...but as you have these, could you clarify this, these are lacquer acrylics,   and use a hotter thinner, and are not intermixable with standard Tamiya acrylics, or Gunze Mr Hobby aqueous,  which I think you examples of,  I presume these have quite strong smell of lacquer thinners* (cellulose thinners in the UK) but are like Gunze Mr.Color?   (i don't have any lacquer acrylics to compare)  but i was considering buying some to investigate.

*as in, you will get a bit dizzy off the solvents?

And... how do the match up colour wise with other RAF paint?   I am wary that the RAF Sky has "FS34424" on the label for starters...(I'll need to check in daylight, but even a quick eyeball under a halogen shows a difference between FS34424 and MAP Sky) 

I have some AK Acrylics that are 'not great'  matches for the RAF museum chips.... (along with most of the other acrylics I have by Xtracrylix and Vallejo)  and have been putting off ordering some more Tamiya to carry on my mixing task.   Be happy to do some visual matches if you can be bothered to do some brush out on some plastic card,  though @Tail-Dragon has the RAF Museum chip and is closer to home.

I just don't want to buy more "RAF" paint that doesn't actually match the chips is all....

Perhaps worth a new thread in WW2 or paint ?   

cheers

T

Can't say for sure, as I haven't even opened a bottle yet. I got the first batch by ordering them online back in May. But just after that, my room has been filled up to the gunwales with stuff from the basement rec-room and bathroom. She wanted to update those for our eldest daughter and her long-term boyfriend, who live with us.

Right now, I can barely get my old skinny bum up to the table in my room, but I can't move the chair back far enough to sit down. As I'm a 5-hour drive away from the closest hobby store, I have been buying things online. The only paint available up here, on The Backside of Beyond, are some Tamiya and Citadel paints. As I don't have a great desire to be mixing Tamiya colours, I buy what I can. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

That's the feller!

someone's been hoarding port wings for Airfix mossies then, there's two starboard wings - upper & lower - in that spare one of mine (to be fair, it was part of a bulk sale sooo... ).

Oh well..

A couple of sheets of decals from Hannants popped in through the letter box today. Avalon FAA Skyraiders & Syh@rt Belgian F-16 80year memorial Schemes. Also an AMG Polikarpov R-5 kit from Ukraine via ebay, a bit spendy but one I was keen on, having once owned a vac kit of one but gave away to someone better qualified than me to build it. It has the appearance of a really nice kit.

Steve.

• Like 1

I went for the Airfix Mystery Box lucky dip for £22 after reading a Facebook post saying it was a scam 🤔

Here's what I got:

tn_Hellcat (32)

Very pleasant surprise to get the Meteor! And further proof that Facebook is a hotbed of lies and paranoia 😂

Alan 

• Like 13

Its been a busy day, as I've bought myself a copy of Frank Herbert's, Dune. Been ages since I've read it and I want to refresh my memory before the new movie is released in late October.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Its been a busy day, as I've bought myself a copy of Frank Herbert's, Dune. Been ages since I've read it and I want to refresh my memory before the new movie is released in late October.

I maintain Dune is one of the greatest and most interesting science fiction universes, totally wasted and squandered by being set in the interstellar equivalent of Alabama and with the least interesting of Herbert's characters as the protagonists. More Fenring!

• Like 1

I had been watching a KP MiG-21UM on eBay for some time and last night the seller offered it for £12.50 including postage. Despite having spent way too much recently, I couldn't resist. It's the "In Arab Service" release, which contains a number of interesting marking options.

To help with the withdrawl symptoms when the Olympics finish

4 dvd's from a charity shop...

British Steam parts 1&2:  4468 Mallard and Flying Sotsman...

Britains Lost Railways:  London and the South/Scotland and Wales...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1