What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

smer p-40k 

Also available as a MisterCraft P-40E :P  It depends a bit, but if the Smer decals hold together in water you can end up with an OK sheet and a suitable paint mule.

Basically got the Smer Spit Mk.Vc  for the RAAF decals, as the kit itself is the Heller Mk.V with no-dihedral-at-all :D

I prefer not to, but sometimes Amazon is the only one carrying the titles you want.

There's a Revell or an Academy B-17F in the stash that might end up in CC colours... 

y4mz723kBfYjhcclrevRrZnjedoHs9mreQ2WCOai

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Also available as a MisterCraft P-40E :P  It depends a bit, but if the Smer decals hold together in water you can end up with an OK sheet and a suitable paint mule.

Basically got the Smer Spit Mk.Vc  for the RAAF decals, as the kit itself is the Heller Mk.V with no-dihedral-at-all :D

I prefer not to, but sometimes Amazon is the only one carrying the titles you want.

There's a Revell or an Academy B-17F in the stash that might end up in CC colours... 

my experience of smer and mistercraft decals are the opposite, had to use some smer ones I found on eBay when the mc ones disintegrated, anyway I shall be cautious and give the decals a coat of varnish protection before they go in the water. Also can give the smer/Heller spit dihedral with a little wing root surgery and some careful bending.  

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Oops...

y4mbww0Gvm1vuSJTP9806hFf6z1H5T8Z1U8WeMD6

And it's not even a rivet monster but reasonably restrained.

Typical 1971 decals - just black & white, but they are for Buchholz' Fw-200C-3 F8-DH (wn.0060) that was shot down in May 1941.

Must keep that box however. Nary a mark on it...

• Like 9

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Must keep that box however. Nary a mark on it...

Remember getting the first release back in the mid-60s , bought it on the way home from school and had it built , but not painted , by bed-time.

Nice kit although from what I recall the guns were around the scale diameter of light artillery pieces although the undercarriage legs were much finer and rather fragile for such a large model.

Happy days.

• Like 3

So this technically isn't a "latest acquisition", but I returned to my office today for the first time since early March of 2020, because they want to move desks around and I had a lot of stuff still there. So I retrieved the following:

PXL_20210729_024718094

Think of it as a time capsule from before the world ended temporarily but for far longer than most of us expected.

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Think of it as a time capsule from before the world ended temporarily but for far longer than most of us expected.

And best of all, a time capsule that you have already paid for :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

So I retrieved the following:

Dust Clouds is a great book, absolutely fascinating!

I had the pleasure of chatting to a chap in my local pub, oh 25-odd years ago, who was a friend of a fellow customer that my Dad had known for years (my family had been landlords of that pub years before). He'd served in the RAF as an aircraftman in Iraq during Raschid Ali's rising. One of my greatest regrets is that I didn't run home for my copy of that book and get him to sign it :( 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Latest arrival is yet another Airfix Beaufighter, making five in total. On order are High Planes horizontal tail-planes and fin/rudder correction sets, and a Beau' Ic conversion set. Also received yesterday my eagerly-awaited copy of WingLeader No.10 :) 

Tomorrow when I get paid, AlleyCat Beau' Mk.II conversion.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Finally! 

After a 3 months wait, it's here.

Ready for some myth-busting! :P
Written by a mechanical & construction engineer, based on a lot of primary source material and not pulling punches :D

y4m7xDmgpZSLN6FAHMHFmidfHGVWwusUTLl2HYfm

• Like 6

Several packages arrived today. Some 1945 Grumman ads, one for the F7F and another for a Widgeon for the post-war leisure hunting set. Also Tufte's Envisioning Information. which looks to be a worthy companion to his Visual Display of Quantitative Information.

The Big H delivered AIM's 1/48 RAF Trolley Accumulator (early version).

newstuff0.jpg

This looks to be 4 parts: plug, 2 wheels, and the rest of the trolley. 6 plugs are provided, so I can retrofit one to the Tekniks late version already in my display cabinet. :)

newstuff1.jpg

And Plus Models 1/48 Parapacks for my future C-47 build.

newstuff2.jpg

These should be an easy add

newstuff3.jpg

And finally from J. Stockard Fly Fishing, some very fine fly-fishing thread in gray, black, and tan for 1/48 aircraft antennas and 1/350 ship rigging.

newstuff4.jpg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A Zvezda 1/72 C-130 for £25 posted. Model Hobbies are doing another special on eBay and there was one left when I bought mine, just a few minutes ago.

Quite a bargain, especially when I look at the £50 academy one in my local that has been tempting me since lockdown ended. Also saw the Zvezda a350 for £16.16, ridiculous price, would have got one myself had a I not admitted defeat with civys 

Airfix's Wellington GR Mk.VIII :) and as a pressie from my better half, too!

I was on the laptop yesterday, perusing The Works website and looking at said kit, thinking I'd order it when I'm paid. Last night, The Works came up on Jane's phone with a pic of the kit! Scary stuff! Anyway, Jane ordered it for me as a pressie, and ordered a load of stuff for Christmas as well, and with the CRAFT20 voucher code got a nice discount.

And it all arrived this morning!!! That's what I call service!

Cheers,

Mark

PS, the AlleyCat Beau' Mk.II conversion set has also been ordered :) 

• Like 2

Airfix 1/72 Victor B2.

As I'm expecting an Airfix Vulcan soon for my birthday, I decided it was time to get a Victor to complete the 'V' bomber trio. The B2 is out of production at the moment and I was horrified to see the prices asked on Ebay so I started trawling around french model shops and found one for 54 Euros ( about £47 ) including postage. Result!

John

• Like 4

A trip to Halifax Modellers World netted a KP Tempest V (yes I know it won't be as good as the presumed SH one that may, or may not exist, but at least this one is in my hand and looks pretty well moulded). Also the AZ/KP Vickers FB19 and the SH Kittyhawk III. The stash is not shrinking much

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr T said:

A trip to Halifax Modellers World netted a KP Tempest V (yes I know it won't be as good as the presumed SH one that may, or may not exist, but at least this one is in my hand and looks pretty well moulded). 

Build thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:00 PM, Fritag said:

Got an email yesterday from Airfix (Hornby) to tell me:

“Great news! Your de Havilland Chipmunk T.10 pre-order has arrived, at our warehouse and will shortly be prepared for dispatch…’

I haven’t actually got the new 1/48 chippie yet - but they’ve taken the money; does that count? :D

Is it bad form to quote yourself in a thread?  i ‘spect it probably us :blush: 

But anyways. She’s now arrived…

BF0DEB4F-EA06-4006-971F-3DF25670347F

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hobbycraft Caribou 1/72..........something I have been after for ages.

Nice kit , built one a while back and liked the novel approach to cabin seating !

My only purchase this week was Britain's Military Helicopters - Modern Military Aircraft Series , Volume 4 by Chris Gibson , published by Key Publications bought direct from the publisher , had caught up with some recent releases last week and then this one was released a few days later  (Avro 748 and F-105 to follow mid-August).

In the middle of a Tamiya P-47D Bubbletop - rather had a bit of a disaster with some of the marking decals....:oops: Found the same markings on a Super Scale set at Hannants  :thumbsup:So had to order them!

But of course couldn't just order them, oh no!

On the way is also an Eduard Tempest II, Eduard masking set Airfix Buccaneer 1/72 (new kit) and some PE for the Kinetic FRS1.

But that's not all.

Due to the price increase that was advised during last week, I decided that I was also going to order myself an Airfix Vulcan and DH Chipmunk direct from Airfix before the 10% price rise hit. That order was placed on Thursday lunchtime, and received notification late on Friday afternoon that the order was shipping. So have these on the way as well. So much for not buying anything more for the next couple of months at least (well not until my next holiday to Devon in September.....)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 2