What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

Got an email yesterday from Airfix (Hornby) to tell me:

“Great news! Your de Havilland Chipmunk T.10 pre-order has arrived, at our warehouse and will shortly be prepared for dispatch…’

I haven’t actually got the new 1/48 chippie yet - but they’ve taken the money; does that count? :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Got an email yesterday from Airfix (Hornby) to tell me:

Ooh, does that mean we get to see another Fritag Chippie build - in fumble thumbs scale? Imagine the details you'll be able to cram in this one Steve....!! :)

Keith

PS you realise you'll also have to revisit the JP's, Hawks and eventually do a couple of Jags in 1/48 too now....?! 🤣

• Haha 4

An odd looking plane:

spacer.png

A less well-known motorcycle combo:

spacer.png

That clever half-track motorcycle thing:

spacer.png

And two golden oldies for the future Matchbox GB:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The latter bought from our very own @fightersweep 🙂

• Like 8

I actually bought some trash! :D.....and some trash cans! :D....in 1/35 scale from PlusModels and Miniart respectively! :winkgrin:

It'll be put to good use in a small diorama I'm planning!

....OK I also bought a 'real' kit! :thumbsup: A Hasegawa 1/48 Saab Draken 'Scandinavian Draken'! It'll probably end up as a RDAF plane! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 4

From Key Publications

Recent additions to their book . . . . .

British Bombers Of The 1970s And ‘80s – Historical Military Aviation Series Volume 4 by Chris Goss featuring David Howley’s images of the Vulcan and Buccaneer in a roughly 90/80 split and from those suffering XH558 fatigue there are only four images of it included.

AMARG – America’s Strategic Military Aircraft Reserve by Jim Dunn and Nicholas A. Veronico images of aircraft covered in areas of Spraylat sealant cannot be avoided in such a title but there are also quite a few without in this coverage of current operations there.

. . . . . and bookazine ranges

Typhoon To Tempest – Evolution Of  A Sixth Generation Fighter looking at current Typhoon development work and towards its replacement the Tempest.

Boeing 747 – Jumbo From Pan Am to Pandemic looking back at the history and current use of the 747.

The Berlin Wall – How Europe Was Divided although some images of the airlift and of troops/equipment more of an examination of the events that led to the wall and then its fall.

Drones – Unmanned But On Target current state-of-play and potential future developments.

From Model Hobbies

British Phantoms – The Phantom FG.1, FGR.2 And F-4J(UK) in Royal Air Force Service 1979 – 1992 by Patrick Martin , published 2013 by Double Ugly!

I have a request in the ‘Wanted’ section for the previous volume British Phantoms: FG.1 and FGR.2 (F-4K/M) in Royal Navy and RAF Service, 1966-78  if anyone can help?

From Amazon

Canberra Illustrated by Lou Drendell , published 2021 by Amazon , latest release in the series with the usual mix of photos , artwork , drawings , history and personal experiences.

This arrived this morning;

IMG_20210724_142618366

Lovely looking kit and it took me all my willpower not to start it straight away!!

Shame it's the first kit I've had for ages with bits missing!! Not the end of the world though - GWH give open and closed cowl flaps parts - they give one of each in a plastic bag - or should be two plastic bags but I only got one! I've contacted the seller to see if they've got the other bag as they'd opened the box to put a receipt in! If they haven't it doesn't look too difficult to modify the closed flaps part to open.

But if anyone should happened to have built the kit with closed cowl flaps and has the open part spare I'd be very happy to give it a new home....!! :)

Keith

• Like 4

I like big trucks and I cannot lie. Found a site with a sale on, and saved enough that the MAZ-7313 was effectively free. Didn't really want the KZKT trailer, but couldn't get the tractor without it - life can be so cruel sometimes :D 

spacer.png

Where do I put the weights to stop them being nose sitters?

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Some deliveries take a bit more time, these arrived about a month after ordering.

KP Tempests - because 2 out of 3 were based at Volkel  and I like Beamont's one.

And another Buffalo for the ML-KNIL collection.

Comes with mask set, and resin tail cone without hook (Dutch 339s were denavalized from the factory)

y4mfHNbcghfc6_qqo8BpR-qEI44iWy4kU9Jtdu5v

• Like 7

Things have been very slow on the acquisitions front for the past few months. Then I got a text yesterday from my local friendly hobby shop owner, asking me to look over some stash he'd bought up. It was a very productive encounter, especially with Matchbox and Frog GBs in the future.

First up, Matchbox goodies. Last year, I bewailed that the Siskin had never been reboxed by Revell, as it was one of the few kits I never got around to buying in my youth. Then lo and behold, not one but two turned up. The P-12 and Seafox were very high on my list of "must get again", and it's always nice to have another Norseman, especially if it's still shrink-wrapped.

IMG_20210725_070649_dr_020.jpg

Next, Novo, all ex-Frog of course. I never bought the Vimy or Gloster E.28/39 before, so these are very welcome. Likewise the Supermarine S.6B, which I suspect - like the Comet Racer - will be better than the Airfix offering. I did build an Eastern Express boxing of the Miles Magister, and the spare Irish Air Corps markings will come in handy for one of the two I bought here. The Dewoitine 520 and P-47 Razorback were more a case of "why not, they're cheap".

IMG_20210725_070835_dr_020.jpg

Not much from Airfix, but I couldn't resist a late-1970s boxing of the German Reconnaissance set, and a bagged version of the Bristol Bulldog, which may be from the original production run in 1969.

IMG_20210725_070932_dr_025.jpg

But ... there was a bonus. Inside an old chocolate box, there were four unidentified kits, no instructions, no decals, which I basically got for free. The first three are what I thought they were: an Airfix Avo 504K, an Airfix Airco DH.4, (both in odd cream-coloured plastic), and a Revell Stearman Kaydet (just started). The last is a mysterious WW I biplane fighter. I have yet to ID either the aircraft or the kit manufacturer.

IMG_20210725_071140_dr_025.jpg

• Like 7

Five 1/72 T-55s for my ongoing multiple build.

Two Trumpeter which were free from a mate

Three Revell off ebay

That brings the total (currently) to 14!!

I have a problem!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Pavla KK-2 ejection seats arrived and I'm not impressed. One is acceptable, just. The other is atrocious. It's so poorly moulded that I can't believe anyone would look at it and think, "yeah, that'll do!"

I guess I'll have to try to get a replacement sent. OK, it wasn't expensive, but I can't afford to write anything off just now. One thing's for sure though: I won't be buying any more Pavla resin parts.

The new German Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkraftrad from Tamiya, kit number 35377. Light years ahead of this previous release from Tamiya some 40 years ago.

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

You and me both. Except mine's with Shermans! 😀

Regards,

Steve

I've got a fair few Shermans in the stash as well!

I also have the 1/35 one I bought from yourself which I keep looking at but am resisting the temptation so far.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

I'd been watching a couple of listings on eBay for the Valom Valetta, both of which were reasonably priced, the idea being that I'd nab one when funds were available. I received a Buy It Now offer of £22.50 (posted) today, so snapped it up. I can't imagine getting a better price than that.

• Like 1

Picked up two of the new Airfix Vulcans. Said all along I'm not going to bother with it as its too big for the cabinet and I'll probably never actually make it. In the local model shop and the owner says he's just had a couple delivered. Next thing you know I'm squashing both into the boot!

• Haha 6

Hi klr, the Airfix DH4 was originally issued in that cream colour on First release in 1968/9. I remember it as it was the first kit I rigged with stretched sprue as described in an Airfix Magazine of the period. 

The mystery kit at the bottom could be a Revell Nieuport 28, it is difficult to tell ftpm the photo, but I fancy I see the distinctive tailplane of the 28 and the wing looks right. It was one of the last of their WW1 series of aircraft and one of the few I never built. It was often cannibalised to help build a Nieuport 27. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hi klr, the Airfix DH4 was originally issued in that cream colour on First release in 1968/9. I remember it as it was the first kit I rigged with stretched sprue as described in an Airfix Magazine of the period. 

The mystery kit at the bottom could be a Revell Nieuport 28, it is difficult to tell ftpm the photo, but I fancy I see the distinctive tailplane of the 28 and the wing looks right. It was one of the last of their WW1 series of aircraft and one of the few I never built. It was often cannibalised to help build a Nieuport 27. 

Yes it is! As my mother would sometimes say to me "God bless your eyesight"*. I have this in another stash far, far away, but never really looked at the mold. However, I just grabbed the Revell Nieuport 28 instructions from Scalemates, and it's a perfect match. Mystery solved.

I didn't realise Airfix kits were issued in cream coloured plastic before. Something else learned.

*Despite the fact that I've worn glasses since I was very young. Go figure.

• Like 1

My second Tamiya 1/48 F-4B plus detail up parts arrived today and even cheaper than the first.

And after being informed that I am three stone lighter than I was when we went into first lockdown I also acquired a large lamb kebab and chips and a packet of chunky chocolate cookies. I now feel sick.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, klr said:

Yes it is! As my mother would sometimes say to me "God bless your eyesight"*. I have this in another stash far, far away, but never really looked at the mold. However, I just grabbed the Revell Nieuport 28 instructions from Scalemates, and it's a perfect match. Mystery solved.

I didn't realise Airfix kits were issued in cream coloured plastic before. Something else learned.

*Despite the fact that I've worn glasses since I was very young. Go figure.

Airfix used quite a few colours in the sixties that reflected the base colour of the kit, I remember the red DH88 pale blue Do217 and black Wellington. My eyesight is actually pretty terrible and always has been. The only advantage is that I can still model 1/72nd with ease. 

• Like 3