What's your latest acquisition Part VI ?

Duncan B

On 29/04/2021 at 14:12, Miko said:

After seeing giemme's F-4 and Roberts suggestion. . . 

From 'Frome Model Center' this turned up in double quick time!

My first 'Fine Molds' and first look it's an exquisite piece of engineering!

Now I'll watch giemme put his together to see what I'm up against

spacer.png

I got this and the F-4EJ Kai. For new tool kits they come in at about £12 cheaper than the ones Hasegawa keep re-releasing so I consider them good value at that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miko said:

Yep, strange isn't it? What's the deal with Hasegawa? They can't blame taxes and exchange rates now FineMolds are knock out quality equal if not superior to Shizuoka's finest? 

A certain degree must be down to the importer and how much they are adding on, Im not sure who is importing the Fine Molds stuff as its not on the boxes. Like you say they are new tool top quality, now im not knocking the Hasegawa tools but they are looking increasingly more expensive for what you are getting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Julien said:

Im not sure who is importing the Fine Molds stuff as its not on the boxes.

According to something which I just read on Facebook, Creative Models are the UK importer, although there was a message from someone at MJW Models saying that thy had been in contact with Creative Models and were informed that they would no longer be importing their kits. No reason was given.

John.

• Like 1

These.  Didn't know they were going to arrive on the same day!  Fortunately SWMBO was otherwise engaged, so what she doesn't know won't hurt me!

spacer.png

wcFvCrg.jpg

The Lancaster kit looks very good, but I did notice something of an anomaly, in that the rear turret does not have any doors.  The opening is there on the turret part, but no sign of any doors to stop the gunner sitting in a draught when he rotates his turret.  Easy enough to fabricate from plastic card, but still, I would have expected them to be there.

As for the Panther, well, I don't have any kits of the Panther, and it was in Jadlam's clearance, so why not?

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Julien said:

A certain degree must be down to the importer and how much they are adding on, Im not sure who is importing the Fine Molds stuff as its not on the boxes. Like you say they are new tool top quality, now im not knocking the Hasegawa tools but they are looking increasingly more expensive for what you are getting.

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

According to something which I just read on Facebook, Creative Models are the UK importer, although there was a message from someone at MJW Models saying that thy had been in contact with Creative Models and were informed that they would no longer be importing their kits. No reason was given.

John.

Frome Model Centre are the Importer now I think.

A couple of small items arrived yesterday. The rocket pods are for one of my GWH 1/48 Flankers but I haven't decided which yet. My first ResKit items and they look very nicely moulded.

IMG_8879_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8880_HEIC-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3

Birthday present to myself - prescription classic Ray-Ban Aviators. 😎

My prescription Oakleys had been due for retirement and I'd never owned a pair of the classic Ray-Bans. A couple of knock-off versions picked up from a market stall as a kid perhaps (which I think might have been named 'Ray-Man' or 'Bay-Ran' or some such 😛) but never the real thing, so now I can finally fulfill my dream of looking like someone from the classic 'Top Gun' movie. That's right, I can now look like the guy that holds Tom Cruise's Ray-Bans for him! 👍

• Haha 6

My Eduard Royal Class Avias arrived today. Oh dear! Four beautifully moulded kits, etched frets, masks, a book and three decal sheets (one of them mahoosive). Why “ oh dear”? There’s 31 decal options and it’s going to be too hard to choose just four out of those, which means my “ I’ll get that and then I’ll never have to worry about B.534s again” plan has fallen at the first hurdle. I do have one of the old KP kits which I can use the decals on, but I can see me getting a fair few more.

And I paid less than sixteen quid for it all in. Gateway drugs, that’s what it is!

• Like 4

Bit of a mixed bag of purchases this week

From Postscript Books

Half a dozen much reduced titles from their latest catalogue but the only one that is at all hobby related was Forty Years Of Airfix Toys by Jeremy Book , published 2019 by Crowood Press

Local Newsagent

Latest in the Key Aviation Archive Series ,  Classic Fighters Of The 1950s – Cold War Warriors with the usual mix of photos , cutaways and artwork , next in the series will be Heavy Bombers Of The RAF

Via eBay

Second-hand copy of Jane’s All The Worlds Aircraft 1970-71 edited by John W R Taylor published 1971 by Jane’s Yearbooks

Added to a a group of their other WWII fighters to be built sometime a 1/72 Revell 03984 Republic P-47M Thunderbolt kit

Charity Shop

From the newly opened Cancer Research ‘Superstore’ at the Gallagher Retail Park in Dundee where we were lured by the apparent wide open spaces within and left a bit stunned by the actual lack of distancing being practiced by the time we got out The Concise Guide To Axis Aircraft Of World War II by David Mondey , published 1984 by Temple Press ,  not an area of specific interest so a handy one-stop source costing fifty pence for what like many of the books they had on sale (but about the only military one I could find under the circumstances) look like remaindered unsold new stock that had been in storage for a good while.

Air Wing Media

Douglas A-3 Skywarrior/B-66 Destroyer PDF download , usual mix of Manuals/Magazines/Photos but a bit cheaper than some of their download packages , if only there was a mainstream B-66 kit in 1/48 , always hoped for one from Trumpeter after their A-3 kits even with the considerable risk that their 'research' would probably miss the many differences between the two

Just delivered by Amazon as all the usual local suppliers haven’t had any in for a while.

51168840960_5d4b8ac434_b.jpg

I’ve never liked Marmite but this has been essential for breakfast since the desperate need for something to go on toast whilst staying in a backpacking hostel in Kalgoorlie (nearly 30 years 😭😭) ago led to yeasty Nirvana!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

These;

IMG_0601

The 5 CD super de luxe box set of the Who sell Out, and a special limited edition tin of Heinz Baked Beans with the Who logo on to tie in with the release of the box set.

Yes, it is a real tin of baked beans !

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 10

An F-4C centreline tank 1/32 kindly donated by @Scout712 , thanks Michael. I was given a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom many years ago and have been collecting bits and pieces for it ever since. All I need now are the correct seats and I can get started. 

Don’t hold your breath!

• Like 2

Lots of little storage boxes for all my damn USB cable floating round my damn drawers! 

Of course, every time you buy another gadget, they always come with another damn USB cable until they look like they've been breeding and you have hundreds of the ruddy things! All nicely tidied away now into my boxes, and one for the chargers as well (also got some for the wife so she can do the same with all her cables and chargers!)

Also some slight larger ones (A5 size) for all my masking and PE sets that I have separated out into various kit makers. So one box for Airfix, one for Revell, and one for others. All nicely organised and labelled.

• Like 1

48876574373_3a9a926835_o-500x350.jpg

products-AMT1150-2-500x350.jpg

144765-10934-pristine.jpg

Have been looking these US truck kits for several months, have been unsucessful getting any in UK at good-ish prices. Had tried to pre-order some last week on UK model store and was told their pre-order had sold out so could not even pre-order them. Prompted me to look outside UK and worried about importing them after Brexit changes all the import rules. Ordered them late Monday evening and they arrived on Friday all the way from US, very impressed, and shipping was reasonable cost. Import duty and VAT was pre-paid, removing some of the worry about getting blackmailed by courier when they turned up. The Apollo 17 kits should turn up later this week, although I do have that one in my stash already.

I had got addicted to buying kits along with stuff from other interests, but have vastly cut back on that. I am just focusing on buying mostly newly issued or re-issued kits. I have a lot of US truck kits, and like to obtain more of the Round 2 issues

• Like 5

Just received a package containing these items today. Japan to Los Angeles in 14 days using the least expensive shipping option. The vendor was nice enough to include a little "thank you" gift. The Fine Molds Phantoms are extremely difficult and expensive to obtain in the US right now and I was fortunate enough to grab the last one this vendor had in stock. Needless to say I am a happy guy right now. :)

20210511_100752_resized

• Like 8