Vera Lynn Star of the small screen

A bit of a phoenix this One. The intension was to build the kit as G-AMCA of Air Atlantique. Having got to the decaling stage I found that the transfers I had would not fit the Airfix tooling. I was now left with a semi competed White Dakota with  Grey wings and an astrodome. Not wishing to carry out a full re spray I made a cup of tea and considered the options. This is the result, The former TS423 as operated by Aces High in Ruskin Air Services livery for the Yorkshire Televisions series "Airline".

The kit assembled reasonably well. I had some fettling to do to get the wings and spar to fit snugly. The Navigators window was opened out and an exit hatch added over the cockpit. The decals were home made by my late uncle about 25 Years ago hence the rather shiny backing. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

FAO of the mods.

Apologies I mistakenly posted this completed model in the work in progress section. Can you advise me how to move it to the ready for inspection section ?

24 minutes ago, jyguy said:

FAO of the mods.

Apologies I mistakenly posted this completed model in the work in progress section. Can you advise me how to move it to the ready for inspection section ?

Go to the three dots in your upper right corner of the opening post. Open that up and report/flag the post asking the moderator’s to move it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

27 minutes ago, John_W said:

Nice. 

Your build is actually "more accurate" than the TV aircraft. They had the tail beacon fitted, but with the dome and bulb removed to make it less obvious.

Hello John,

Thank you for your interesting observation. The other  C 47, Ex Spanish A/F  C/N 19975 G-BHUB painted as G-AGIV used in the series certainly had a rotating beacon on top of the fin. As I recall G-DAKS did not at that time, She certainly acquired One at some stage as current pictures of the airframe now on the US register as N147DC show.

G-BHUB now hangs from the roof of the American Air Museum at Duxford.

Kind Regards

Guy

22 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like this, it looks lovely,  great job . Your uncle did a great job on the decals all those years ago.

Chris 

Thanks Chris. He was Ex RAF and a Technical Author by profession. He got into computing early. As you say sterling work given what was around then.

• Like 1

That brings back memories of watching 'Airline!' Shame they never made a follow up series, Aces High even having bought a Connie for it (Now at Wroughton).

Cheers

John

• Like 1