1/72 Handley Page Victor K.2 (Airfix A12009)

40 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

The instructions for raised flaps are wrong DO NOT follow them you will ruin that part of the model by cutting off the wrong bit if you do

Yeah the cut/don't cut instructions are reversed, right? Cut refers to 104, but 104 is raised and 105 is dropped.

6 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

Yeah the cut/don't cut instructions are reversed, right? Cut refers to 104, but 104 is raised and 105 is dropped.

no the place to cut is wrong entirely. you need to remove some of the tracks under the fairings not remove the whole fairing, I'll explain better tomorrow, it's quite late now

• Like 2

Starting the intakes this evening... 😬

I've only ever used putty a couple of times, never with much success. This AK tube is brand new though, previously I'd worked with Tamiya. We shall see if it goes any better. 

IMG-20210506-182636.jpg

Still debating the paint scheme... (haven't made any irreversible cuts or holes yet). Originally I'd planned on this Victor being one of a few Falkland themed builds I'd eventually complete. Then I thought "do I really want two massive builds on my shelf, both with very similar colors?" A Victor and  Vulcan, both in variations Dark Green and Sea Grey? (Not to mention Sea Harriers, in the same as well...) 🤔

Edited by RaceAddict
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RaceAddict said:

Starting the intakes this evening... 😬

I've only ever used putty a couple of times, never with much success. This AK tube is brand new though, previously I'd worked with Tamiya. We shall see if it goes any better. 

IMG-20210506-182636.jpg

Still debating the paint scheme... (haven't made any irreversible cuts or holes yet). Originally I'd planned on this Victor being one of a few Falkland themed builds I'd eventually complete. Then I thought "do I really want two massive builds on my shelf, both with very similar colors?" A Victor and  Vulcan, both in variations Dark Green and Sea Grey? (Not to mention Sea Harriers, in the same as well...) 🤔

The only problem I have had with the AK grey putty, is that is not wet sandable. My tamiya white putty was no good out of the box. Could never get it mixed. Sort of like the “new” squadron putty.

Edited by Bejay53

First attempt with the AK putty went well... very light paste, goes down well I found, and the old nail polish remover trick works just as it does with the Tamiya stuff. 

Getting the intakes assembled was no small task, but I've got to say that once they're all built up they definitely look the part. 

IMG-20210508-192035.jpg

Hopefully nothing goes wrong when I'm trying to mask them much later in the build. 😬

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RaceAddict said:

First attempt with the AK putty went well... very light paste, goes down well I found, and the old nail polish remover trick works just as it does with the Tamiya stuff. 

Thanks… Ive been using lacquer thinner but will try the Naptha in nail polish remover. It might be less harsh on the plastic. 

Good work going on here . I would love to make one of these myself but lack of space dictates otherwise. Just to rub it in I was in the Hornby hobby shop in Margate last week and they had this very kit reduced to around forty quid! 

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 1:28 AM, Britman said:

Good work going on here . I would love to make one of these myself but lack of space dictates otherwise.

I haven't exactly figured out the space issue either. I only have one larger shelf, but it's uncovered (dust, fur, potential cat destruction) and it's in the bedroom so the build would be basically unseen by anyone except by myself. 🤨

• Like 1

Very little to report on the Victor front for a few reasons:

1) Someone turned me on to Deutschland 83 recently, so I ended up binge-watching all 3 seasons over the course of a week and a half.

2) Summer has finally arrived in Quebec so building in general has slowed as I'm finally able to get a bike ride in several days each week, work on the yard, etc.

3) My MiG-29 which was put aside in the excitement of opening up the Victor box is back on the bench to finish up... masking, painting detail parts, decals, weathering, etc.

I did put in an order for the Eduard mask set though... should be here soon enough, well before I'll need to work on the cockpit glass.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:41 PM, RaceAddict said:

A Victor and  Vulcan, both in variations Dark Green and Sea Grey? (Not to mention Sea Harriers, in the same as well...) 🤔

Victors never wore Dark Sea Grey as part of their upper surface camouflage, and very few Vulcans, XM600 being one, did.  At the time of the Falklands War both Victors and Vulcans were in Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces with the former retaining their white undersides whilst the latter acquired under surface camouflage of Extra Dark Sea Grey.  I don’t recall seeing any of the Falklands War Victors in Hemp and Light Aircraft Grey camouflage but I’ve seen mention of one with its starboard underwing tank in those colours.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, Adam Poultney said:

The instructions for raised flaps are wrong DO NOT follow them you will ruin that part of the model by cutting off the wrong bit if you do

Good point out, I'd would made this mistake, 👍

40 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Victors never wore Dark Sea Grey as part of their upper surface camouflage, and very few Vulcans, XM600 being one, did.  At the time of the Falklands War both Victors and Vulcans were in Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces with the former retaining their white undersides whilst the latter acquired under surface camouflage of Extra Dark Sea Grey.  I don’t recall seeing any of the Falklands War Victors in Hemp and Light Aircraft Grey camouflage but I’ve seen mention of one with its starboard underwing tank in those colours.

Yeah that's what I was getting at... would I want just too many variations on my shelf of green/grey camo? Hence why I was thinking of a DS Victor instead.

• 4 months later...

Well, the summer weather has finally turned... it's been cold and wet the past few days, so that means that finally the bike gets brought inside and put on the trainer in the basement, the pool gets closed for the winter, back patio is cleared off, BBQ gets stored in the shed, etc. My summer modeling pause is over and it's time to dust off the bench and get back to work! 😀

• Like 1

Yikes... the workbench was dusty! (picture me in a fit of allergies, sneezing uncontrollably, etc.)

While I was tidying up I came to some decisions:

-the Victor will be XL231 - Lusty Lindy - finished in the modern'ish (1991) Desert Storm colors of Satin Hemp topsides over Light Aircraft Grey bottom.

-airbrakes will be closed, but flaps will be lowered for visual interest

This afternoon (post GP) was spent refreshing my memory on how far I'd gotten, what sub-assemblies were yet to be done, and going over the instructions (as well as referencing previous build threads here) to get back the picture in my head of how this beast goes together.

• Like 2

On 25/10/2021 at 00:25, RaceAddict said:

While I was tidying up I came to some decisions:

-the Victor will be XL231 - Lusty Lindy - finished in the modern'ish (1991) Desert Storm colors of Satin Hemp topsides over Light Aircraft Grey bottom.

-airbrakes will be closed, but flaps will be lowered for visual interest

Be careful when handling it, those lowered flaps can be very delicate. I've broken the ones on my one with lowered flaps a few times and had to fix them

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Be careful when handling it, those lowered flaps can be very delicate. I've broken the ones on my one with lowered flaps a few times and had to fix them

Yeah, no doubt. Generally my models are pretty immobile... once I find a spot for them, they stay there. I haven't found anywhere large enough for the Victor yet though. 

Speaking of "large", I assembled the wings last night! 😯 I wasn't quite prepared for how big this will actually be (and the wingtips still haven't been added). LOL

spacer.png

(Israeli Kfir added for scale) 

Edited by RaceAddict
  • Like 6

Oh My !!

When I built mine it was the Matchbox kit. I've not been following aircraft modelling for around a dozen years, or more.

Wonder when this arrived ? and how much better it may be ?

Big beasts indeed, particularly if you want 2, or 3 Victors, like a B1, B1A, B2 .......

'V'

42 minutes ago, 'V' said:

Big beasts indeed, particularly if you want 2, or 3 Victors, like a B1, B1A, B2 .......

That's a hard "no" from me. 😂 There will be precisely one Victor on my shelves (and one Vulcan in the future).

2 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

That's a hard "no" from me. 😂 There will be precisely one Victor on my shelves (and one Vulcan in the future).

There's always the 1/144 kits if you want to go as mad as me

Ahh Adam Poultney & RaceAddict,

I never did go for 1/144 scale, too small, but it's easy to run out of space.

Then you kill the enthusiasm, even if you don't run out of money !!

IMG-0757.jpg

Just enjoy it while you can

If you want to know what kills off the enthusiasm, note that there was NO injection moulded Valiant as I started,

The Contrail Vacform was difficult, but there is one of the "impossible to build" Mach 2 there as well.

'V'

• Like 9

Ref fillers. Tamiya & A K putty mean nothing to me, but some not Wet sandable ?

Looking for reports on what's available nowadays as I need to get some.

'V'

This week's (brief) bench time:

spacer.png

Assembled the carrots and fuel pods, and then spent a fair bit of time cleaning up the seams. I'm not very good with putty, and really not good at rescribing panel lines, so this whole process stressed me out somewhat. (I really need to find a comprehensive guide on rescribing panel lines, keeping them straight, etc.)

Next was the first few steps towards getting the fuselage halves together. As I'm doing the tanker there's no need to paint the insides, so I skipped the white and went straight to the glueing.

spacer.png

Lastly, the paint from earlier this week, but I'm a long way from breaking those jars open.

spacer.png

Edited by RaceAddict
  • Like 2

Up until last night I had a perfect record of never quite getting two fuselage halves successfully together without any issues. 

That record still stands. 😒

Despite extensive test fitting (seems like I spent a lot of time on that) when it all came together I found a horrible gap on the lower side of the empennage. 

spacer.png

Most of the rest is acceptable though, so I'm still more or less happy with it. A small bit of deformed plastic around the nose landing gear well may need some fixing and putty, and of course the seam above and below the cockpit needs tidying up as well, but overall it's decent. 

spacer.png

This evening will be spent on getting some putty laid down, and then working on my MiG while I wait for it to set before sanding. 

• Like 7