Jump to content

1/72 Handley Page Victor K.2 (Airfix A12009)


Recommended Posts

I've never posted a build thread on a forum before because I've never felt too confident that my models and skills were up to a level that others would be interested in seeing. Lately though, aside from the usual showpiece works that everyone drools over, I've seen a few "average guy" builds that just made me want to build more, despite not having the skills that would put my aircraft into a magazine.

 

So here I am, trying this for the first time... hopefully I'll remember to snap pics along the way. Plus, having a thread to keep posting to may keep me inspired and prevent me from slacking off for weeks/months at a time. (Bad summer habit.)

 

Like the title says, I'm doing a Victor tanker. I'm still a ways away from starting the actual build. I'm working on finishing a MiG-29 (just needs paint, decals, and final assembly) but I'm starting this thread as I prep for the Victor.

 

Here's the ubiquitous box shot:

IMG-20210420-130122.jpg

 

As much as I love the look of the Hemp color scheme (and the pinup nose art!!) I've more or less decided to go with the Black Buck tanker instead. I still reserve the right to change my mind at some point in the build before it's too late. Pics like this or this have definite shelf-appeal.

 

I "started" the project by making a chart for paint conversions based in the specified Humbrol colors vs what I already have or can get. Humbrol is not readily available around me... the hobby shops I frequent generally carry Tamiya, Vallejo, and lately AK. I've started using AK on my last couple of builds and am really enjoying how it goes through my airbrush, how it goes down on the surface of the model, etc. They even make an RAF V bomber box set.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im happy to see youve chosen to do a WIP, you should never be afraid to post here. I was hesitant at first myself but have found that everyone is quite friendly, encouraging, not to mention helpful.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

‘Average guy’ builds, you must have been looking at some of mine! 😂

 

Don’t let the genius builds on here put you off, if I can show my painting in public no-one else has anything to worry about. It’s just about enjoying the hobby.

 

And no better way to start than with one of the most beautiful aircraft ever made!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see you're doing A WIP, I've built a few of this kit so I'll follow this build and if you need any advice on any of it, hopefully I'll be able to give a hand. It's a fairly straightforward kit anyway, only a few spots that might catch a modeller out; if you're doing the flaps retracted you'll need to ignore the instructions as they are just wrong. 

I think you might have gotten this at the right time, that haven't long since gone out of production and finding them at even RRP is not all that easy right now. I'm keeping an eye out on Facebook sales groups and eBay for any K2s that are up for a good price as I'd like another to stash away until I decide to build it in case they don't reissue it for ages like the Valiant which is only being reissued ten years after the initial release

Link to post
Share on other sites

A WIP thread is definitely a great idea - if you know there's an audience out there waiting for updates you might be less likely to sneak off and do some gardening 🙂 Looking forward to this...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Good to see you're doing A WIP, I've built a few of this kit so I'll follow this build and if you need any advice on any of it, hopefully I'll be able to give a hand. It's a fairly straightforward kit anyway, only a few spots that might catch a modeller out; if you're doing the flaps retracted you'll need to ignore the instructions as they are just wrong. 

I think you might have gotten this at the right time, that haven't long since gone out of production and finding them at even RRP is not all that easy right now. I'm keeping an eye out on Facebook sales groups and eBay for any K2s that are up for a good price as I'd like another to stash away until I decide to build it in case they don't reissue it for ages like the Valiant which is only being reissued ten years after the initial release

 

@Adam Poultney I don't know if the international shipping costs would kill the deal for you, but the shop I ordered mine from here in Canada (LINK) has the kit on sale at a 40% discount right now. The exchange rate puts it under £35. I didn't even really have any intent to buy the kit, but the deal was way too good to pass up. 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the others.......after all most of us are "average guys" doing our average builds, usually having returned to the hobby with newly acquired fumbly fingers and defective vision! The WIP is a great way to get advice on a build as you go. Looking forward to seeing things develop.

Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

 

@Adam Poultney I don't know if the international shipping costs would kill the deal for you, but the shop I ordered mine from here in Canada (LINK) has the kit on sale at a 40% discount right now. The exchange rate puts it under £35. I didn't even really have any intent to buy the kit, but the deal was way too good to pass up. 👍

this actually looks quite tempting I'll look into this

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s just under £50 including postage and tax. Still better than the current eBay prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got everything out of the box for the pre-wash... my usual little bin for soaking the plastic in dish soap would not fit but the four  smallest sprues in this kit. 😬

 

"Honey, would you mind if I used the bath-tub for a bit?"

 

I've got some masking and detail bits to paint on my other project, so while paint dries the Victor will be getting initial assemblies started. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having a hard time getting a clear image in my head what the colors should be, particularly for the aft part of the cockpit... and despite this being practically unviewable once the model goes together I wanted to get it all somewhat close back there. Finding image facing forward is relatively easy... aft, not so much. I did stumble across this though: Four British V-Bomber Cockpits Up For Sale

 

All the color references I could need! 👍

 

spacer.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Made just a bit of progress over the weekend. 

 

(Rivet counters avert your eyes now!) 

 

I decided to deviate just a bit from the instruction paint call-outs, and even from the references I'd found online. I painted some of the cockpit flooring grey instead of black, primarily because I want the (very) limited view of the cockpit to have some variation... otherwise looking in through the windscreen would just be two patches of yellow in a sea of flat black. 

 

IMG-20210503-181833.jpg

 

I also tried using my AK weathering pencils for the first time, adding some aluminum scuffing and scratching to the ejection seat frames. I may go over it all again before I'm done, just taking it easy as I don't want to over-do something I'm new at. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

Made just a bit of progress over the weekend. 

 

(Rivet counters avert your eyes now!) 

 

I decided to deviate just a bit from the instruction paint call-outs, and even from the references I'd found online. I painted some of the cockpit flooring grey instead of black, primarily because I want the (very) limited view of the cockpit to have some variation... otherwise looking in through the windscreen would just be two patches of yellow in a sea of flat black. 

 

IMG-20210503-181833.jpg

 

I also tried using my AK weathering pencils for the first time, adding some aluminum scuffing and scratching to the ejection seat frames. I may go over it all again before I'm done, just taking it easy as I don't want to over-do something I'm new at. 

I am another one of "those guys" that will sometimes totally ignore the "official" colour call outs. Sometimes you just need some contrast to make it look right and often the proper colour for a 1/1 scale machine just doesn't look right in 1/72 scale. 

Are you going to do a wash on the interior? It will really make things pop instead of the solid tones. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Are you going to do a wash on the interior? It will really make things pop instead of the solid tones. 

 

I'll need to do something, yeah... the yellow in particular needs added depth. Also, after taking the photo and posting I see that I can add a lot more scuffing and scratching with the AK pencils. It looks great up close on the workbench, but at a "normal" viewing distance the effect isn't noticed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RaceAddict said:

 

I'll need to do something, yeah... the yellow in particular needs added depth. Also, after taking the photo and posting I see that I can add a lot more scuffing and scratching with the AK pencils. It looks great up close on the workbench, but at a "normal" viewing distance the effect isn't noticed.

Have you ever tried using the tinted pledge floor finish? It is a self leveling acrylic that is absolutely perfect for this sort of thing (I actually use it on EVERYTHING). You just tint it is a small bottle with some black acrylic water colour paint (dollar store stuff works fine) and slap it on. It settles into the low spots and and edges where it gives a semi transparent shading. Very easy to control and dries very fast and hard. Then just spray a flat coat over it and it highlights without excessive colour changes. 

Base and detail paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=198430&stc=1

 

Tinted Pledge still glossy

attachment.php?attachmentid=198431&stc=1

 

After Testors Dullcoat

attachment.php?attachmentid=198433&stc=1

 

It also gives you a really nice base to dirty up further if needed and for applying decals.

 

A bottle will last you a lifetime though.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a Youtube vid of that technique just a week or two back... I will be trying it. I think it'll be effective delineating the steps, cockpit floor around the seats, etc. I'll brush some into the landing gear wells also and see how it flows there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

I saw a Youtube vid of that technique just a week or two back... I will be trying it. I think it'll be effective delineating the steps, cockpit floor around the seats, etc. I'll brush some into the landing gear wells also and see how it flows there. 

It works very well. Takes some practice to control it but once you get the hang of it you can highlight anything just using the black.

Some tips:

Make sure what you are doing is level or where you want it to build up at the low points. It does self level really well.

When you think you have enough add a little more. It can disappear under a flat coat even though it looks very heavy when glossy.

Use a wide brush. If you have too much in a spot have a smaller brush handy and just wick it straight up into it then wipe it off on a tissue.

Keep a small bottle of the pure stuff handy. If you find you want to remove some for a area after it is almost dry you can just use a clean brush and the pure to simply brush it off.

 

It really is easy and has a dramatic effect no matter what colour it goes over. You hear about it sometimes but it is probably one of the best kept secrets in modeling.

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=197909&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=197910&stc=1

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=197970&stc=1

 

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=198041&stc=1

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nice so fat.

 

I really enjoyed building the Airfix Victor. I bought the Eduard Big Ed PE kit for it. The exterior kit is fine and adds nice detail to the airbrakes and undercarriage, but the interior kit........? Well, at least I know it's all in there!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

I had never thought of tinting klear !! Always used thinned Tamyia smoke for the same effect......

The Klear has the advantage of being self leveling which the Smoke just can't  compare. It is also  totally dry in about 15 minutes whereas I have always found smoke to take forever. 

Edited by Tcoat
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pieced together the MLG before supper... moving onto Step 26, and it's time to decide: Flaps up, or down? (I'm also still debating whether or not I'll show the airbrakes deployed. It would be a shame to leave such a nicely crafted bit of Airfix's work all hidden, even though posing them open is more work, especially to mask/paint.)

 

What would be a more typical state for a Victor on the apron?

 

I will say that the instructions for the state of the flaps aren't entirely clear. 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...