My first build thread - 1/72 Ventura Spitfire XVIII

spacer.pngI might have bitten more than I can chew here but we won't know till I try. 😉 I love the Spitfire FR XVIII and have had this Ventura kit in my stash for a long time along with the MPM XVIII. I did masquerade a Fujimi XVIe as an XVIII a cpl of yrs back but I think its about time this kit gets built. I have felt that the amount of scraping etc required wouldn't be worth the effort but I always hear that its worth it when one finishes a Ventura kit so here goes nothing. Technically its a side build for me as I do an Apache GB but I anticipate its going to be just as time consuming...fingers crossed 🤞  

Edited by Madmaks
Inserted image
  • Like 5

The surface detail is good with fine recessed lines but it's going to try my patience scrapping and thinning the excess plastic between the wing halves and cockpit well. I still have to figure out how/what cockpit detail to add

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

Roy Sutherland did one many years ago that he painted in "Operation Firedog" markings. So, a brilliant result can be had, once the patient undergoes the varicose veins operation....

-d-

• Like 2

The Ventura Spitfires/Seafires do take a bit of work, but I was pleased with the results of the ones I built (Spitfire HF.VII, PR.XI, PR.19, Seafire Mk.17, and Seafire FR.47), so stay with it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David H said:

Roy Sutherland did one many years ago that he painted in "Operation Firedog" markings. So, a brilliant result can be had, once the patient undergoes the varicose veins operation....

-d-

Thx, I will hunt it down for inspiration

11 minutes ago, Learstang said:

The Ventura Spitfires/Seafires do take a bit of work, but I was pleased with the results of the ones I built (Spitfire HF.VII, PR.XI, PR.19, Seafire Mk.17, and Seafire FR.47), so stay with it.

Regards,

Jason

Thx Jason. If you have posted them on britmodeller I will look for them. I am planning on building an 1/72 Academy XIVc on the side to get ideas for scratch building the cockpit detail. Assuming it won't be too different for an XVIII

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I built all those models long before I was a member of BM, so I don't have any photographs to show you. I do suspect the cockpit on the Mk.XVIII was very similar to that on the Mk.XIV. Rough as they may be, the Ventura Sea/Spitfires get the shapes right, the canopies are nice and clear, and the decals are good. All it takes is a little modelling to get a good result. Best of luck with your build!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Also, with you talking of thinning the interior and wings, I noticed the plastic is hard and a touch brittle, but when using any form of power tool like a dremmel it melts easily! As for interiors, I've got a few Eduard Spitfires and will use the spare bulkheads they have as a starting point. Same with the landing gear!

The Stash

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phew7410 said:

Also, with you talking of thinning the interior and wings, I noticed the plastic is hard and a touch brittle, but when using any form of power tool like a dremmel it melts easily! As for interiors, I've got a few Eduard Spitfires and will use the spare bulkheads they have as a starting point. Same with the landing gear!

The Stash

Good point and I have a dremel like tool on order that should arrive tomorrow. 👍

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well Im an 18 fan myself and have a Sword Mk.14 I plan on bringing up to an Mk.18 standard at some point. 

That's a nice kit. One of these days I will stop fondling the sprues and actually build it 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Madmaks said:

The surface detail is good with fine recessed lines but it's going to try my patience scrapping and thinning the excess plastic

I assume you mean scraping....

A really good tool for this is a carpenters kidney scraper,  

s-l1600.jpg

eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292218002405

I'm sure you can find a similar item in the USA,  it's really handy for thinning out trailing edges.

Also,  you might want to check the wing panelling on the kit,  I'm not sure any kit gets the modified Mk,XVIII panelling right, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014550-spitfire-mkxviii-mk18-photos-of-wing-panelling-differences-confirmed/

HTH

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I assume you mean scraping....

A really good tool for this is a carpenters kidney scraper,  

s-l1600.jpg

eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292218002405

I'm sure you can find a similar item in the USA,  it's really handy for thinning out trailing edges.

Also,  you might want to check the wing panelling on the kit,  I'm not sure any kit gets the modified Mk,XVIII panelling right, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014550-spitfire-mkxviii-mk18-photos-of-wing-panelling-differences-confirmed/

HTH

Fat fingers on the phone but yes it does change the meaning. Thx for the link and I have had it bookmarked for a while 🙏 The best reference available - thank you for putting this together Troy. 

• Like 1

Things got real. Instead of just staring at my tools and at the sprues, I started sawing. Now starts the painful process of sanding and thinning. I will also start searching in my spares box to see what I can cannibalize vs scratch build for the cockpit. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madmaks said:

I will also start searching in my spares box to see what I can cannibalize vs scratch build for the cockpit. 

If you have an Eduard spitfire there are usually extras for the various cockpit parts. Ive built multiple Eduard kits and have a huge box of bits left over. I also have about a dozen  sitting in the stash right now. Also have extra bubble top canopies and different guns in the 8/9 boxings. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have an Eduard spitfire there are usually extras for the various cockpit parts. Ive built multiple Eduard kits and have a huge box of bits left over. I also have about a dozen  sitting in the stash right now. Also have extra bubble top canopies and different guns in the 8/9 boxings. 

Thx! I do have a cpl of Eduard Mk VIII boxes. Will go through them and see what I can scavenge.

Whoa...look at those gaps at the wing root! I wasn't expecting something so off and I don't think putty will do it. Might need to use something like milliput. 

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you have plastic strip ? I fill the gaps with as much plastic as possible then fill the remains with putty. Apologies if you're aware of this technique ? 

Thanks, I have never had to fill in so much of a gap. I do have a lot of plasticard and can get a lot more plastic stuffing from my sprue boneyard. I was thinking milliput since I had read someone on britmodeller using milliput for larger gaps. 

Is there any adjustment you can make to the outboard junction of the lower and upper wings (I think it takes place on the outboard panel line)? By removing material from the outer edges of the lower wing, you should be able to bring the upper wings much, much closer to the wingroots.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Is there any adjustment you can make to the outboard junction of the lower and upper wings (I think it takes place on the outboard panel line)? By removing material from the outer edges of the lower wing, you should be able to bring the upper wings much, much closer to the wingroots.

It's definitely worth looking into. I just got a notification from Amazon that my dremel like tool comes in today, so my evening after work will be a lot of sanding anyway - have to play with new toys as soon as they come in 😁

• Like 3

Hard to tell in the overhead shot but it appears that the wings are almost flat. 

If you give it the proper Spitfire dihedral it should go a long way toward filling that gap.

attachment.php?attachmentid=857722&d=145

Now if the the wings already have the proper angle then...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Now if the the wings already have the proper angle then...

They're moulded with dihedral (quick inspection of my Ventura PR.XI). But it's pretty rough casting, so fit might be off until cleaned up.

• Like 3