208 squadron Spitfire MK XVIII codes question

Max Salas

Guys

Been doing a lot of research about the last spitfire air combat...but haven't been able to find any information regarding  FR 18 TZ228 codes...208 sq. used GZ as codes....but is there a way to find wich individual letter TZ 228 used...?

This is significant because apparently this particular plane shot down the last two RAF  spitfire aireal victories.....(against Egyptian Spitfires!!) in May 1948 and it was the last RAF spitfire shot down in combat....by another spitfire!! in January 1949

planning to build Airfix Mk XIV as a this particular plane

Thanks a lot

Max Salas

I was able to find the account linked below, which had a photo of two 208 Sq FR18's, but I wasn't able to read the second airplane in  the photo to see if it might have been TZ228- note that if the text is correct, neither of the two Spitfires in the photo were wearing the GZ squadron codes, just individual aircraft letters.

Mike

Just in case you hadn't already seen this...

http://web.stanford.edu/group/tomzgroup/pmwiki/uploads/3229-Spyflight-a-JHS.pdf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

a photo of two 208 Sq FR18's, but I wasn't able to read the second airplane

If you're talking about "N" and "T", they are respectively TP391 and TZ233.  Note that the former (according to the individual record) did not join the squadron until late March 1950, so there's a bit of time between the events of interest and that photograph- I point that out just in case some markings might have changed in between.

I noticed that 208 Squadron used "RG" for their codes until 1949, while GZ may have belonged to 32 Squadron.  Whether they'd have been worn by the aircraft at the time of the combats I can't say.

Edited by gingerbob

16 hours ago, Max Salas said:

planning to build Airfix Mk XIV as a this particular plane

note, you need to change some wing panelling,  you may already know this, if not,  see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014550-spitfire-mkxviii-mk18-photos-of-wing-panelling-differences-confirmed/

• Like 1

Thank you all.....Gingerbob...you got it!!! I don't how I missed that photo, that's the plane!! and that is the way it should have looked on those days, including the Sq. Code...it seems it was RG as well. Perhasps that´s the reason I missed it. They change the camouflage and the use of individual letters only  AFTER those combats...in order to aid fast ID...but by that time, thay have alredy moved out of the conflict area, and no further combat involving RAF took place (well, until '56)..and Troy, yeah, I know about the panels and lots of it it thanks to the help of you guys here in Britmodeller!!!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Max Salas
  • Like 2