Junkers Ju88G-6 'Nachtjager'

Hi all

This is my attempt on Ju88G-6 D5+AX, from 12/NJG3, which took part in 'Operation Gisela' on the night of 3/4 March, 1945.  The idea behind Gisela was for the Luftwaffe nightfighter fleet to follow returning bombers back to their bases in the UK and attack them as they prepared to land.  D5+AX, flown by Hptm Johann Dreher and his crew, attacked Halifax bombers of the French Air Force as they returned to Elvington, in Yorkshire.  After his attacks on returning Halifaxes, Dreher continued to strafe the airfield and the surrounding area.  While making a low, high speed turn for another pass, his aircraft apparently clipped trees (or may have been hit by flak - reports vary) before crashing into a farmhouse (tragically killing the occupants) and finishing up in an adjacent field.  Hptm Dreher and his crew are buried at Cannock.  One of the props from Dreher's Ju88 is on display at the air museum at Elvington.  Dreher's Ju88 was the last Luftwaffe aircraft to crash on British soil before the war ended.  Long intro, sorry, but I thought it was worth mentioning the context.  Finally, a big thanks to @SafetyDad for his help with the research and the decals :) Anyway, here's the pics :) 

7YZFaxU.jpg

3QUUO38.jpg

3S7OlLL.jpg

ei5A042.jpg

w2rzJyz.jpg

Vqyiyni.jpg

zFl6wW0.jpg

8XUa2ID.jpg?1

nnk0VNP.jpg

pIW5Daf.jpg

tXS9mAP.jpg?1

dCtD90q.jpg?1

• Like 54

No need to apologise for the background to the model, it helps put some context to the model and illustrates the futility of war. 

And of course the model is superb. 

• Like 1

I had once built 4R+FB, which also took part in Operation Gisela, one of the interesting final episodes .

So now yours is finally finished and it´s great! You perfectly managed the problem areas around the engine nacelles and the wing roots. I like it a lot!

Volker

• Like 1

Lovely Ju-88G, I knew the story as I have been to the museum at Elvington many times, seen the propeller and out on the road that goes past the museum, near the farmhouse there is a small memorial to the event.

• Like 1