Proof that the AstraZeneca Jab caused mental instability - DHC Chipmunk WG419 as she is now at Sywell Aviation Museum

Hi All

Another small bit of fun, and I do mean small, caused in part by 'Jab 1' no doubt.

Having built Sywell Aviation Museum's Vampire cockpit XD599 the other month ( see behind) and Canberra TT18 Cockpit WH887 a few years ago (see below) I thought I'd do our Chipmunk cockpit  - or 'Chippax' - WG419. When a complete aeroplane she was based here at Sywell in the 50s with 4BFTS and 6RFTS. Unfortunately any 'in service' photos have evaded us!

So its the venerable Airfix Chippie I had spare (would I have chopped it up had I realised they are going for £20 on ebay? - PLEASE do a new tool one Airfix!)

The cockpit consists of two sockets to plug the 'seats' - ie an L shaped piece of plastic - into per cockpit and two blob pilots. They had to go so I made a new floor, added two seats (I think ex Pavla Tiger Moth ones from the spares box) and surrounds (the Chippie's seats are 'rebated') sticks and two IP's made from scratch together with a rear bulkhead for each 'pit. Chopping the fuselage forward of the screen and aft of the canopy was easy as was adding bulkheads to each end. The kit wing contains the centre section and obviously there was a big wing shaped hole each side. I chopped the centre section out and glued it underneath then I used some good old fashioned Squadron Putty to fill the 'oles. I cant remember the last time I used that as nowadays I mainly use PPP or Mr Surfacer but its still a useful thing to have in your armoury!

LOTS of filing and sanding to make the profile correct. Couple of plasticard stands per the original. Sprayed Rustoleum white plastic primer and Humbrol enamels. For a quick bit of fun it took a surprising amount of work!

Decals from kit and spares box. Canopy masked with Tam tape. Of course the canopy is so damned thick you can't see anything of the interior detail 'but I know it's there'...

Another one ticked of the list.

Lord knows what I'll do after Jab 2. I do have the SH Eon Primary which is begging to be turned into the Museum's Grasshopper WZ820 but again it needs a fair amount of work to convert it...

Hope it made you smile!

ATB

TT

51125580527_2d96250bd3_k.jpg4E50F330-5194-4246-83B9-A4085D007F82 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

51126143816_920fd1cba4_k.jpg2340E352-D404-47BA-9842-B72ADC80D50C by Ben Brown, on Flickr

51126055188_60404d09a2_b.jpgB855C00B-B7C5-44B9-8E55-9CCD951EA27B by Ben Brown, on Flickr

WG419 today (c) Pete Clarke 

49069134402_c7852405f3_b.jpg23467278_10155011506920976_2834730514959218295_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

• Like 43

Fantastic.

Really like the idea.

Just a suggestion .... Cockpit  sections are becomingly more popular. What about lobbying model manufacturers to start doing these in say 1/24 scale.  Great space saver. 

Just a thought.

Dick

• Like 2

Well if that's the effect of the Astra Zenica jab on you. I wonder how it'll effect me when I get mine in a few weeks time. Maybe I'll even finish a kit.... Or at least part of a kit like you. 😂🤔

• Haha 1

I think you're thinking of the old Esci 1/16 F-16 and F-104 cockpits they released in the early 80 - they were just the 'innards' though - no exterior shell or canopy etc - and  very nice they are too - IIRC you even got a small helmet with each one! Italeri have re-released them relatively recently.

As for actual cockpit sections I think the closest we've got is the HK Models Lanc which may be a signal of things to come?

Thanks for your comments chaps ;)

TT

• Like 1

A nice idea and a space saver, they would make good diorama subjects. 

I had the Pfizer jab and it had no discernable effect on me. I am having my second one on Saturday and so waiting and seeing what happens. I am hoping it gives me some superpower like common sense or wisdom. 

• Like 1

Many thanks

Now that is a great shout! I must admit I didn’t mind cutting up a couple of cheapo airfix kits to make the cockpits above (the 1/48 Canberra was a charity shop find with missing bits!) but shudder at doing that to a £20 Blenheim - mind you the old frog one would do wouldn’t it! 

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 1

Hello Texan,

Great idea. Looks perfect in comparison with the real thing.

Also in Holland,  quite a few aircraft are displayed like your examples.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1