Help required with vehicle type from photo and finding a kit

DeepSea

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this makes sense - but every now and then I see a photo and it lights a spark and I feel like I have to try and model it...

With that being said - I came across this https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4202803 and I'm wondering if I can check the vehicle in there - to me it looks like a FV103 - but I'm not all that good with armour I'm afraid.

Am I correct?  If so - are there any 1/35 alternatives to the AA kit - or any suggestions for something similar that would also have likely turned up as a target in a similar situation?

Many thanks in advance

David

Yes that is a Spartan being used as a target at the RAF Wainfleet air-ground weapons range on the North shore of The Wash, South of Skegness.

Accurate Armour is the only Spartan option in 1/35, and is likely to remain so.  The Scorpion and Scimitar have been around for years in plastic but no-one has bothered with any other CVR(T) members in plastic.  I commanded a Sultan for a while so I'd like one of those but can't justify the cost of an AA kit.

The Gecko kit is a Scimitar 2, which will not help you much as the hull of these is enlarged compared to a standard Spartan.  They were built on new hulls, not converted from existing.  However, if you wanted to model the wreck as pictured you may be able to adapt it without too much trouble.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The Gecko kit is a Scimitar 2, which will not help you much as the hull of these is enlarged compared to a standard Spartan.  They were built on new hulls, not converted from existing.  However, if you wanted to model the wreck as pictured you may be able to adapt it without too much trouble.

Many thanks.

I'll have to think what's the best option.  I might be able to get away with it - it's more the general look of the picture than it being 100% accurate (if I'm allowed to say that!). 

It's like you say - the AA kit is nice but bleeding expensive.

Thanks again

David