Nostalgia! Matchbox 1/72 Siskin IIIa

Exquisite work... both are lovely and beautifully executed.

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Impressive model!!! 

Your post brought me back to my early childhood: I was 4 years old when my father bought this kit and made it under my eyes: it was during Christmas holiday. 

Time to time I tried to remember the name of the plane (I was aware that it was Matchbox 2 color), but I never succeed. 

Thank you so much for this travel in the past. 

Francesco 

• Like 1

And my Matchbox biplane listing contains at least one error. They didn't do an F4B, it was the P-12 - as mentioned above. Their F4B was the navalised version of the P-12.

Monogram also produced some nice 1/72 between the wars biplanes. They DID include an F4B and also a Grumman P6 Goshawk and the naval equivalent, the F-11C.

Revell had the Stearman.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone 😃

23 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

And my Matchbox biplane listing contains at least one error. They didn't do an F4B, it was the P-12 - as mentioned above. Their F4B was the navalised version of the P-12.

Monogram also produced some nice 1/72 between the wars biplanes. They DID include an F4B and also a Grumman P6 Goshawk and the naval equivalent, the F-11C.

Revell had the Stearman.

Thanks Eric,

I’ll check out those Monogram kits, I can’t recall making one before. I have got a new enthusiasm for vintage kits! I’ve actually got the Stearman in my stash - but I would rate that as being almost non buildable... looks every day as old as the original mouldings... 🙄

Guy

ps any more suggestions for a nice older biplane kit would be welcome!

A very nice build. It is a lovely kit, I built one in 1980, but I gave never gone back to it. Matchbox worked hard to make biplanes a bit easier by some clever design and the Fury and Siskin were amongst their best I always thought 

• Like 2

Thanks 😊

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

A very nice build. It is a lovely kit, I built one in 1980, but I gave never gone back to it. Matchbox worked hard to make biplanes a bit easier by some clever design and the Fury and Siskin were amongst their best I always thought 

Yes, that’s one thing I did notice about this kit, it was pretty simple construction and the cabane struts were particularly well engineered. Makes the build so much more enjoyable.

19 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Revell Stearman is eminently buildable. Yes, its crude by modern moulding standards but still an OK kit. And it's cheap to buy too.

Well that’s good to know, maybe it’s the garish yellow plastic thats putting me off! I will give it a go and see how I get on.

Guy

• Like 2

Come on, pull the other one, they're really the kits you say they are are they...! Excellent!  I must look out for a Siskin sometime and rekindle my own memories of building it....Many, many moons ago! Well done!

• Like 1

Beautiful, as the others have said. A very well turned out model of an old classic kit. I never built this, but do remember building the P12 and not painting it because the plastic was already the right colours!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks 😬

On 4/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, Spitfire31 said:

What a beeootiful Siskin! A proof of superb modelling skills and, not to forget, also a tribute to the toolmaker(s) of Matchbox biplane kits!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I couldn’t agree more about the kit Joachim, I found it to be better engineered than most modern kits I’ve made recently...

14 hours ago, Brandy said:

Beautiful, as the others have said. A very well turned out model of an old classic kit. I never built this, but do remember building the P12 and not painting it because the plastic was already the right colours!

Ian

Thanks Ian. Yes, it seems I wasted my time painting her - the bright blue and yellow plastic would have been spot on... 😜 

Guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1