Nostalgia! Matchbox 1/72 Siskin IIIa

1 hour ago, DennisTheBear said:

Umm, the serials on the bottom of the lower wing seem to be transposed. That or my eyes have gone wonky.

DennisTheBear

Good spot! I’ve just had to go and check the model... 😵

But.. all ok. I guess somehow the photo got ‘flipped’? Probably when I cropped the image on my phone.

You can’t get away with anything on here! 🙃

Guy

Gorgeous model!

Matchbox did great stuff and were willing to touch subjects that other mainstream manufacturers wouldn't at the time and many still aren't. Those interwar types are a great example of that.

As I recall, Matchbox had a quite a novel way of molding the wing struts so they were a single piece of plastic already aligned properly that you just had to slot into the wings.

• Like 2

That's amazing work indeed. Bravo! I wouldn't be able to tell it was an old Matchbox kit.

On 20/04/2021 at 09:07, Gisbod said:

who said you need high tech kits and a ton of aftermarket to have fun modelling!

I fully agree! I have several old kits in my stash and, despite everything (flaws, newer moulds, etc) I intend to build them.

Miguel

• Like 1

There`s no way I could come close to the superb quality of this kit even if it was in modern, updated tooling for the molds.  Just an outstanding testament to your attention to detail and supreme skill level.  

I stand in awe!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 2

Superb model . Matchbox really did have the skills to make a kit that was good-looking and above all , buildable by a youth . 

I built the P 12 and Fury and it was a superb kit for its time

( and now you can get etch for it 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, 73north said:

Superb model . Matchbox really did have the skills to make a kit that was good-looking and above all , buildable by a youth . 

I built the P 12 and Fury and it was a superb kit for its time

( and now you can get etch for it 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Totally agree re the kit,

Etch for the Fury? Where from?! 

Thanks,

Guy

Absolutely incredible versions of the original Matchbox offerings.

I grew up on Matchbox in my fathers shed at the back of the household suburban block in the late 70's very early 80's

So glad to see such skilled, considerate, careful and beautiful treatments of the old kits

Thank you

• Like 1

What a stunning result from an old classic Guy. I made one of these many years ago, but nothing to this standard.

Well done!

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, bryanm said:

Beautiful!  Look out for the Monogram fighters of the thirties - Boeing F4B-4, Curtiss F11C-2 Goshawk, Curtiss P-6E Hawk.  They are very nice kits.

Yes, I will now, thanks for the tip. I don’t recall making any monogram kits back in the day. I’ll trawl through eBay later 😀

Thank you again for the interest...

Guy