Russian pilot problems

MarcV

Hi all,

I'm looking for seated pilot figures for a 1/48 Mig-21 and Yak-28 but can't seem to find any anything except Russian pilots stroking dogs, smoking cigarettes, drinking Vodka, but not driving their jet.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was plagued by the same problem when I built my MiG-21. So I bought one of the Aerobonus figures, which is beautifully sculpted, but IMO is very noticeable on the small side. It looks lost in the MiG and even worse in my Su-17, so I ended up applying plastic surgery & a brainwash to a Hasegawa F-14 pilot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before scrolling down and seeing how we're spoilt for choice these days, I was going to suggest the pilot figures from the Monogram kits, especially the one from the Frogfoot. They have the type of helmet with the external visor most seen on the Yak-28 crew. 

IIRC the Mi-24 crew comes with optional heads, one of which is also the style you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Legend has it that the pilot figure supplied with the Monogram 1/48th A-10 is just about perfect in its size and proportions, as a comparison to any other 1/48th figure. Having said that, the Monogram kit (or any Revell re-boxings there might have been) seem to be in pretty short supply these days.

Chris.  

That's the very fella! To be honest, for 1/48th scale, he looks pretty darned good to me. For so many years, we had to deal with "Der Golem"-style pilot figures, that I don't think anyone ever actually used in their kits.  

Chris.

I used that pilot in two of my builds and I'm still ok with the results, but like you said it's hard to come by, and I'd be happy to have better options.

A very interesting figure for Russian birds is in the 1/48 Kittyhawk Yak-131:

spacer.png

Zvezda's Yak-131 also comes with two pilots, but like their 1/72 counterparts, they're beautifully sculpted, but modeled after polar bears andappear a noticeable tad on the large side when they are in the cockpit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ok that doesn't look too bad - until you realize how spacious the Yak cockpit is:

spacer.png