Jump to content

Airfix 1/7nd Beaufort Mk.Ia x 2,.... 22 Sqn, SEAC & 16 Sqn, SAAF.


Recommended Posts

Great to see one (or two) finished. They certainly look the biz.

 

I take my hat off to the young lads who risked their necks in these things.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Great to see one (or two) finished. They certainly look the biz.

 

I take my hat off to the young lads who risked their necks in these things.

Thanks Eric,...... and most definitely,....... they had the highest casualty rate within the RAF,..... I`m in the middle of another book about these brave fellow`s now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tony  great work on the two, they look stunning as usual and are very impressive models  that cleat DF loop looks fantastic too.  Had a real so ans so of a job knocking one up for the Italeri Hudson, so it's great that Airfix have included one in the kit.

Great work 

Chris

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony  great work on the two, they look stunning as usual and are very impressive models  that cleat DF loop looks fantastic too.  Had a real so ans so of a job knocking one up for the Italeri Hudson, so it's great that Airfix have included one in the kit.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... yes I was relieved to see it on the parts,.... it did help a great deal and I should have a few to put in the spares box for other projects in the future too.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work as always, Tony! The background information and attention to detail lifts them out of the ordinary.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these kits and having a go myself!

Cheers,

Mark

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Beautiful work as always, Tony! The background information and attention to detail lifts them out of the ordinary.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these kits and having a go myself!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark and very kind of you,..... you`ll love it when you get one! 

Jadlam Racing have them in stock for £19.95 and their postage is reasonable!

Cheers

         Tony

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice jobs there Tony.!! Made all the better by showing yet more colour schemes this model can be built in. Roll on a Mk.VII/VIII conversion and we can see some more.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Nice jobs there Tony.!! Made all the better by showing yet more colour schemes this model can be built in. Roll on a Mk.VII/VIII conversion and we can see some more.

Thanks Keith,.... yeah roll on indeed mate,...... I`ll be building a few!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two beautiful Beauforts, excellent modelling as usual !

 

Wulfman

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Outstanding work again. 👍

Thanks Vinnie. 

 

39 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Two beautiful Beauforts, excellent modelling as usual !

 

Wulfman

Thank you Wulfman. 

 

33 minutes ago, Michael51 said:

But do they look real?

 

Yes they look very real - great work!

 

Michael

Thanks Michael,.... they look like models to me,..... but glad you like them! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Eric,...... and most definitely,....... they had the highest casualty rate within the RAF,..... I`m in the middle of another book about these brave fellow`s now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ian1485 said:

I’ve just read this. https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/124/2020/05/Beaufort-W6530-HOLLELY-V2_2.pdf
 

Sad story. 

 

lovely models. I can just imagine them lumbering into the sky on those underpowered engines.

Thanks mate,..... I`m not sure they were underpowered as such,..... but the Taurus engined versions had non feathering props which affected the single engined performance,...... the Mk.II`s and Aussie versions with Twin Wasps also had feathering props. Either way,.... the torpedo bomber role was so bloody dangerous, especially in daylight,...... and the men that did this have my utmost respect! 

DSCF7480.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, Tony. A great looking aircraft, but one that I would definitely NOT have liked to fly, I think - especially with Taurus engines. The odds wouldn't have been great...

 

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

the men that did this have my utmost respect! 

Completely agreed. I once briefly had the very great priviledge of holding Kenneth Campbell's posthumously-awarded Victoria Cross. What it represented was not lost on me.

Jon

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Very nice, Tony. A great looking aircraft, but one that I would definitely NOT have liked to fly, I think - especially with Taurus engines. The odds wouldn't have been great...

 

Completely agreed. I once briefly had the very great priviledge of holding Kenneth Campbell's posthumously-awarded Victoria Cross. What it represented was not lost on me.

Jon

 

Cheers Jonners,..... yeah talk about a poison chalice being posted to a Beaufort unit,......and yet they just got on with it..... bravest of the brave! I`ve often wondered what they thought when finding out which type they would be flying...... the Blenheim crews too.  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonners said:

A great looking aircraft, but one that I would definitely NOT have liked to fly, I think

True, but at least the RAF and RAAF did not have to fly the TBD Devastator; the Beaufort at least had two engines and better defensive weaponry. Brave young men, each and every one of them. Wonderful tribute models, @tonyot-  I think those crews would be proud of you.

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work Tony. I'm very jealous - unlike Dave I've not been able to get my hands on this kit yet! When I eventually do I'll be very happy if they turn out half as well as yours and @Rabbit Leader's. A most enjoyable WIP from both of you - thank you!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Tony, two exceptionally beautiful replicas of Bristols hard working Beaufort. It’s been a pleasure sharing the build thread with you and am sure we’ve both inspired many worldwide modellers to go out and buy this kit. Both these Beauforts are top shelf models, which is a true testament to your excellent modelling skills and this kits great overall design. You were always going to finish yours before mine, but have now given me the additional motivation to push my kit towards the finish line. 

Cheers, thanks and a big thumbs up from the other side of the world.. Dave. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

True, but at least the RAF and RAAF did not have to fly the TBD Devastator; the Beaufort at least had two engines and better defensive weaponry. Brave young men, each and every one of them. Wonderful tribute models, @tonyot-  I think those crews would be proud of you.

Mike

Thanks Mike,..... and very true about the Devastator but remember us Brit`s had our fair share of duffers,..... remember the Fairey Battle in France for a start!  The blokes flying biplane Swordfish torpedo bombers probably would have loved the Devastator too,.... although they did pretty well! 

 

27 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Beautiful work Tony. I'm very jealous - unlike Dave I've not been able to get my hands on this kit yet! When I eventually do I'll be very happy if they turn out half as well as yours and @Rabbit Leader's. A most enjoyable WIP from both of you - thank you!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Thanks Roger,.... I hope you get your hands on one soon,....... Oz got theirs long before the UK, so it is shame you missed out then. 

 

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done Tony, two exceptionally beautiful replicas of Bristols hard working Beaufort. It’s been a pleasure sharing the build thread with you and am sure we’ve both inspired many worldwide modellers to go out and buy this kit. Both these Beauforts are top shelf models, which is a true testament to your excellent modelling skills and this kits great overall design. You were always going to finish yours before mine, but have now given me the additional motivation to push my kit towards the finish line. 

Cheers, thanks and a big thumbs up from the other side of the world.. Dave. 

Cheers Dave,.... and thanks for the invite to join in on your thread mate,......your Beaufort is coming along beautifully. I`ve got another one which I`ll probably build as an early 22 Sqn aircraft,.....inspired by your choice of schemes,... and a book I`m reading.   

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work as ever Tony. 

 

When I finally get mine I'll be doing a St Eval- based 217 Sqn Coastal Command aircraft, so I can use the famous colour photos as reference. Hope it turns out as neatly as yours.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IanC said:

Nice work as ever Tony. 

 

When I finally get mine I'll be doing a St Eval- based 217 Sqn Coastal Command aircraft, so I can use the famous colour photos as reference. Hope it turns out as neatly as yours.

Thanks Ian and I`ll look forward to that mate,.... I intend on doing one of those too,...... a great scheme with the black undersides,...... and a great way to pay our respects to these brave men.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...