Aftermarket weld seams?

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Archer Fine Transfers do a range of weld seams in various sizes. Might be worth a try.

https://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsArmor.html

Thanks! Its unclear if they actually do any for 1/16, so i've emailed them. I had a feeling in this day and age that someone would have looked at that part of the aftermarket.

Edited by Whitewolf
Spelling

• 1 month later...

I've been having a good look around and was surprised to find a few options out there, but sadly  none really fit the bill. Shapeway do what look like great 3D resin printed lines in various widths........so I ordered some and they certainly don't resemble those in the pics, in fact I was somewhat disappointed. They only come in short lengths and are in a clear material, presumably a type of resin? They are cheap, but postage is ridiculous. Then I discovered copper weld lines from Mirage Hobbies. They look great and you get 1.5 metres of it!!!  They do it in 1/16, or rather say they do..... the weld line is only 1.25 mm wide, no where near wide enough.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I saw a post about the Copper Weld lines available from Mirage Hobbies they're available in 1/16 and seem ideal? Problem is, they are out of stock and have been for a long time now, with no indication from Mirage Hobbies as to if and when they will have anymore? I found 2 sets on ebay from someone called 'Cocktail Distribution? I ordered both sets, which of course never arrived..... they were supposedly trackable via courier, but that didn't actually work... and after emailing the seller my order was cancelled and refunded with no good reason as to why.  I can't believe its so difficult to obtain this item, I want to use it on a Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger, If anyone knows where i can obtain these please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by Whitewolf

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have a squint here if you're still looking:

Doesn't look like Mirage Hobby carries the copper strip any more Mike.At least couldn't find it doing a search of their catalogue. Which is a shame, I could use something like this from time to time.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Have a squint here if you're still looking:

Yeah, this is where I first saw the copper lines. But they've been out of stick at Mirage Hobbies for sometime. If Mirage arn't carrying it anymore, does anybody know who is?

Archer have resin-printed waterslide weld line decals.  I've never used them but their 3D casting symbol/number decals work well but need close trimming of the carrier film  https://archertransfers.com/AR88005.html

Voyager, ET and Aber all have etched brass weld lines and all of these should be easily found.  Although stockists of any of these brands in the UK are few and far between and buying overseas has become more complex and potentially more costly since we left the EU.

I'm still a fan of stretched sprue and a pyrogravure.

15 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Archer have resin-printed waterslide weld line decals.  I've never used them but their 3D casting symbol/number decals work well but need close trimming of the carrier film  https://archertransfers.com/AR88005.html

Voyager, ET and Aber all have etched brass weld lines and all of these should be easily found.  Although stockists of any of these brands in the UK are few and far between and buying overseas has become more complex and potentially more costly since we left the EU.

I'm still a fan of stretched sprue and a pyrogravure.

Aber only do 1/35 as far as I can see. Never heard of Voyager or ET?

Both are long-established Chinese manufacturers of after market parts, mostly etched brass.

All of the products I noted are 1/35.  Allowing for over-scaling I was thinking that big weld seams in 1/35 might work for finer welds in 1/16.  In that scale you may well be down to using beads of textured filler, Milliput etc to make your own.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on 2 sets of 1/16 Copper Weld lines thanks to Ebay, and I'm very impressed! Having physically put them up against my Tamiya King Tiger and they will do very nicely!  They are just the right width, and will make adding the welds considerably easier, specially within the welded trench that runs the full length of the hull on both sides. Ideally, they could possibly do with being a little flatter, but with undercoat and final paint finish, with a wash and highlight they'll greatly enhance appearance of the finished tank.

• Like 1