Grummarama! 1:48 FAA Grumman Hellcat MkI, MkII and Tarpon

Dunny

Hi All,

My next project will be Eduard's Dual Combo boxing of the Hellcat (so I'm moving in quick succession from the Stringbag to this beast!):giggle:

The boxing allows for building a MkI and a MkII. Here's the box art:

20210419-104359.jpg

Here's the sprue shots:

20210419-111443.jpg

You can see that the MkI fuselage has a rear quarter window, whereas the MkII does not:

20210419-104725.jpg

20210419-104626.jpg

There's also some beautifully cast resin wheels:

20210419-104753.jpg

Here's the transparent parts, the PE etch and some masks:

20210419-104553.jpg

Finally a most comprehensive decal sheet, which allows for 3 MkI and 3 MkII schemes. For the MkI I have chosen JV131, which as part of 800 Sqn FAA operated from HMS Emperor in June 1944 in support of Operation Overlord:

20210419-104448.jpg

I've turned up a couple of shots of JV131:

JV131.jpg

Hellcat-Mk-I.jpg

Hmmm - can't quite place my finger on it, but something is missing :banghead:. This will be finished in the standard EDSG/DSG over Sky, with the distinctive red cowling (and of course the invasion stripes!)

For the MkII I will be modelling JX814 of 1844 Sqn FAA, operating from HMS Indomitable off Okinawa in April 1945. Here's the scheme:

20210419-104503.jpg

I can't find a pic of JX814, but here's another MkII from 800 Sqn:

1844-Sqdn-Hellcat-166.jpg

This will be completed in the ANA equivalent colours of Olive Drab, Dark Grey and Sky Grey - I will also depict the overpainted roundel on the starboard wing. These airframes became very worn as can be seen from this shot:

Weathering.jpg

I shall do my best to depict something similar. Anyway, on with the build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 16

Looking forward to this Roger, always love a good Hellcat build.

You don’t have to use ANA equivalents on Hellcats.  Grumman would have used DSG/EDSG/Sky matches.  I’m not sure that W/166 would have been a 800 NAS Aircraft.  It is probably a 1839 or 1844 aircraft..

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Looking forward to this Roger, always love a good Hellcat build.

You don’t have to use ANA equivalents on Hellcats.  Grumman would have used DSG/EDSG/Sky matches.  I’m not sure that W/166 would have been a 800 NAS Aircraft.  It is probably a 1839 or 1844 aircraft..

Good tip GB - many thanks! 

Cheers,

Roger

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to this Roger.  A double FAA build .  What's not to like.

Chris

Thanks Chris  - hopefully a straighforward build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice! :popcorn:

A double Grumman build--what's not to like? 

I suppose this was a posed shot? Looks good in any event.

I think is was posed, but it does show very well the wear and fading on the airframe! Welcome aboard,

Cheers,

Roger

14 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I'm very fond of the Hellcat, looking forward to following along on this one!

Welcome aboard Mark!

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Three more photos from the same series..

2527541926_b59f9a9663.jpgHellcat by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

2833230822_a153f7c41f.jpgFleet Air Arm Pilot by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

16292745962_9e72c78f59.jpgFAA  Grumman Hellcat. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Some great photos GB - thanks for adding them. I know they're posed but you can surely see the fatigue on the pilot's face...

Cheers,

Roger

Hi All,

A quick update. I started out by cutting out the slot for the drop tank on the MkII. Here's before:

20210419-115547.jpg

And after:

20210419-115557.jpg

Whilst doing this I couldn't help noticing the markings on the inside of the starboard tailplane:

20210419-114309.jpg

Now I've seen some injection mould tool repairs in my time, but that one looks as if it was done on a Friday afternoon. By the apprentice. With a chainsaw. :poo:

Never mind. Moving on I then occupied myself with priming, and painting mostly interior green, but also a few other colours. Whilst painting the undercarriage I ran into my first dilemma. The conventional wisdom is that the Hellcat undercarriage is painted the same colour as the undersides. There is also a school of thought that says it was painted white. I'd resolved to do the MkI in Sky, and the MkII in white for a bit of contrast. Here's the result:

20210419-134200.jpg

20210419-134338.jpg

However, the more I looked at the below photos, the more boggled became my mind:

Weathering.jpg

Hellcat

Both of these cases could be white or Sky. In the end I think I've resolved to respray the white, as I think it's just the effect of strong sunlight bleaching the colour in these excellent pictures by Etienne du Plessis. These really do show how grotty the BPF Hellcats became in their lengthy deployment.

In other completely unrelated news, look what the interweb delivered yesterday:

20210423-072433.jpg

Now that IS a dilemma! Will this build continue apace, or will a new WIP thread start? Watch this space...

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start Roger, and good to see some paint too. 

The Oxford looks a lovely kit, I have the kit in the stash and it has lots of lovely resin pieces to play with too.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm sorely tempted to jump straight in - must show some resolve!

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

It's a great kit so don't blame you fella. Have a read of the reviews or builds as it goes together well,but if I recall a bit of sprue on the glazing area beind the cockpit is needed to spread the  glazing section out enough to line up with the fuselage, but this is a very simple fix and think that was the only issue although I think I an opening myself to get shot down in flames there.

What option are you going to do, are you doing the box art TT???😉.

Chris

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It's a great kit so don't blame you fella. Have a read of the reviews or builds as it goes together well,but if I recall a bit of sprue on the glazing area beind the cockpit is needed to spread the  glazing section out enough to line up with the fuselage, but this is a very simple fix and think that was the only issue although I think I an opening myself to get shot down in flames there.

What option are you going to do, are you doing the box art TT???😉.

Chris

I quite fancy the Aussie version - something about Earth Brown & Foliage Green over yellow. Besides I couldn't hope to compete with your recent striped masterpiece 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Dunny said:

I quite fancy the Aussie version - something about Earth Brown & Foliage Green over yellow. Besides I couldn't hope to compete with your recent striped masterpiece 😉

Ha ha you would be competing fella, yours would no doubt be better if you're airbrushing  anyway.  The Aussie version does sound very nice though. I have had mine for several years now and yet only recently decided which one to do!!!  Sorry for the distraction from your Hellcats fella.

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ha ha you would be competing fella, yours would no doubt be better if you're airbrushing  anyway.  The Aussie version does sound very nice though. I have had mine for several years now and yet only recently decided which one to do!!!  Sorry for the distraction from your Hellcats fella.

Chris

No worries - it's all part of the fun!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

Looking forward to this. I have built the MkII and have the MkI to do. After the Airfix 1/24 MkII, which may take a while...lol

Welcome aboard! Yes, a brace of quarter scale Hellcats seems quite manageable compared to the 1:24 beastie!

Hi All,

Some progress! Despite the almost irresistible temptation of a new Oxbox kit, through steely resolve I'm pushing ahead with the 'Cats :banghead:. As I'd decided to respray the MkII undercarriage Sky, I needed to respray the wheel hubs. Fortunately Eduard cater for indecisive middle-aged men, so I masked the hubs thus:

20210424-105656.jpg

And after the respray:

20210424-111259.jpg

You can see the engine ignition harnesses primed in the background in soft focus 🤣. I next turned my attention to the Twin Wasps. Here's the first - you can just see the tiny PE Pratt & Whitney badge on the casing - nice touch by Eduard:

20210424-131412.jpg

Finally, here's the wheels and both engines complete after an oil wash:

20210424-133502.jpg

All this Twin Wasp action has got me enthused about another stalled FAA build:

20210424-104423.jpg

Watch this space...

Right, I'm off to crack on with the cockpits!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7

Hello Roger!

I just happened to come across your build today. I was thinking about purchasing the exact same kit yesterday, now that I saw your build and got inspired, I will certainly add it to my order! :)

Great work so far, I will certainly use your thread as reference for my build when the time comes. And if you don't mind, I'm following your build with a lot of interest!!! :)

Best,

/Nasos

• Thanks 1