618 Sqn - Mosquito help

The wooksta V2.0

13 hours ago, EwenS said:

Is this the one?

https://www.maritimequest.com/misc_pages/john_stanley_wood_collection/john_stanley_wood_collection_page_20.htm

Ignore the caption it is clearly wrong since in Oct 1945 Implacable was making a POW repatriation trip from Australia to Canada (some of the other captions in the series are also completely wrong by the way). The squadron ORB dates this to 10 Oct 1944. Odd thing is though that this event does not rate a mention in the histories I have for Implacable.

Wow!  Some fantastic photos there. No, it's none of those but presumably from the same role.  Interestingly, the shot of the aircraft taking off looks to have a code letter, possibly in sky although more likely dull red.  M or W?

The shot of the crew.  I suspect that the guy in the greatcoat is Wing Commander Hutchinson, 618's CO.

Thanks for posting those.  Greatly appreciated.

There's some photos of Highball Mosquitoes in the relevant thread on the Secret Projects forumm whilst Geoff Goodhall's site turned this shot up:

DH98-DZ582-ex-RAF-618-Sqn-on-R.J.-McAnal

Not the best quality and I suspect it's a poor quality scan from from the Ian Thirsk book.  Not sure when it was taken.

Said page is full of good photos, including one of the Mosquito graveyard at Narromine and one of the two Barracudas that 618 retained.

https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/dh98/civilmosquito.html

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

• 1 month later...

Australian Archives Series A705 control 9/52/102 DTS [Directorate Technical Services] - Mosquito aircraft - De Havilland representatives reports

Read online a page at a time or download the PDF.  Mostly De Havilland Field Service Engineer's reports.  618 squadron is listed as having 24 mark IV, 9 mark VI and 2 PRU Mosquitoes as of late September or early October 1945, all supposedly in storage.  pages 105, 6

Canadian Mosquito list on pages 66 and 67 (with comment)

Lots of details so lots of relevant or irrelevant pages depending on what you are after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

Australian Archives Series A705 control 9/52/102 DTS [Directorate Technical Services] - Mosquito aircraft - De Havilland representatives reports

Read online a page at a time or download the PDF.  Mostly De Havilland Field Service Engineer's reports.  618 squadron is listed as having 24 mark IV, 9 mark VI and 2 PRU Mosquitoes as of late September or early October 1945, all supposedly in storage.  pages 105, 6

Canadian Mosquito list on pages 66 and 67 (with comment)

Lots of details so lots of relevant or irrelevant pages depending on what you are after.

Many thanks for the above.

Seems to confirm 24 MkIV (and not 25 per some sources) shipped to Australia Oct/Dec 1944.

12 Mk.VI issued in Australia and 3 lost to July 1945 leaving the 9 noted

3 MkXVI shipped to Australia Oct/Dec 1944 and one (NS735) lost 19/6/45 leaving the 2 noted

• Thanks 1

Having pored over various photos of the Operation Oxtail aircraft, landing on Implacable, aboard Fencer and Striker and then at Narromine, I've come to several conclusions.

Firstly, the Highball aircraft remained in the standard Mosquito Day Bomber colours of Ocean Grey and Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey and carrying standard markings for UK based Mosquitoes.

Secondly, it is only when they arrive in Australia that they are repainted, certainly with Australian national markings.  It is here that it becomes a tad murkier, certainly for the Highball aircraft - the FB.VI continuation training aircraft remained in their standard delivery scheme of RAF Nightfighter colours (Med Sea Grey overall with Dark Green disruptive on the upper surfaces) and only the national markings were changed.

Various references give the colours of the Australian based Highball aircraft as Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green uppers with either Azure Blue or PRU Blue, but the photos of the aircraft at Narromine do not bear this out.  Azure Blue apparently has the same tonal values as Med Sea Grey in a mono photo but pictures show a demarcation line and the lower colour is definitely lighter than the uppers.  If the lower colour was PRU Blue it would be darker than the uppers and that's not the case (I would point to the photo of DZ582 U at the top of the page, but the quality is too poor to give a definite conclusion).  I'm minded towards the repaint of the lower surfaces being in RAAF Sky Blue, as suggested by Troy Smith further upthread.  It makes sense that local paints were used for any repaints.

The codes look to be in Night, and the suggestion by Richard Franks in his Valiant Wings tome on the Bomber Mosquitoes that the colours were red with a black outline is spurious at best as no photograph appears to bear this out.

One final thing about the Oxtail B.IVs that is rarely mentioned but recently confirmed elsewhere on t'interweb - all aircraft modified had a bulletproof bulkhead or plate installed in the nose forward of the control gear which prohibited access to the nose.  AFAIK, no one has mentioned this until fairly recently.

The PR16s. All three remained in their standard overall PRU Blue scheme with only the national markings changing.  One at least was repainted at some point in Australia in Aluminium Dope overall as can be seen in the Narromine graveyard photo.

Photos of earlier Operation Servant B.IV Highball aircraft are either very hard to find or of poor quality, but they appear to be in standard Day Bomber colours with Sky code letters and black serials.  As far as I'm aware, there are no photos of the ten FB.VI continuation trainers issued to 618 in July 1944 , but there is a photo of PZ281 which was in the same production batch and that's in the standard Nightfighter scheme, so presumably the other ten are similar. 

PZ281 was delivered to Vickers at Wisley in April 1945 for conversion to Highball for further trials postwar with the Maritime Armament Experimental Establishment (the combination of machine guns and Highball was apparently quite potent), along with B.IV DZ579 (modified for Oxtail but not sent) and Sea Mosquito TR.33s TW228 and TW230.  These trials were apparently as the Navy were taking up Highball (later Card), but interest had waned by 1947.

DZ579 was destroyed when splashback during a test drop ripped off the tailplanes and the aircraft spun into the sea, both crew being killed.  Two other Highball B.IVs survived the war, one ending up as a maintenance airframe.

Hope that's of some use.  Certainly food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/06/2021 at 17:26, EwenS said:

Many thanks for the above.

Seems to confirm 24 MkIV (and not 25 per some sources) shipped to Australia Oct/Dec 1944.

12 Mk.VI issued in Australia and 3 lost to July 1945 leaving the 9 noted

3 MkXVI shipped to Australia Oct/Dec 1944 and one (NS735) lost 19/6/45 leaving the 2 noted

This conflicts with David Vincent's "Mosquito Monograph", who had researched 618 sqn in Australia, and he stated that it was in error. He lists 25 B.IV serials as being on charge when struck off in 1946 then auctioned off.

According to Vincent, there were 30 aircraft (27 B.IV and 3 PR.XVI) when 618 embarked, but two B.IVs were left behind (I don't have the list of Oxtail serials to hand to make an informed guess at their identities). The PR.XVIs were definitely on Fencer and Striker as the fin of one, complete with small PR fin flash, is in one photo of the aircraft aboard the carriers.

16 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

This conflicts with David Vincent's "Mosquito Monograph", who had researched 618 sqn in Australia, and he stated that it was in error. He lists 25 B.IV serials as being on charge when struck off in 1946 then auctioned off.

According to Vincent, there were 30 aircraft (27 B.IV and 3 PR.XVI) when 618 embarked, but two B.IVs were left behind (I don't have the list of Oxtail serials to hand to make an informed guess at their identities). The PR.XVIs were definitely on Fencer and Striker as the fin of one, complete with small PR fin flash, is in one photo of the aircraft aboard the carriers.

I have all the serials for the various stages of Highball conversions. My question is where did David Vincent get his data from? That is because I have one source that suggests his story might be right. But everything else I’ve seen over the years suggests that only 24 plus 3 PRXVI went to Australia. That is backed up by the official documents from the Aussie archives noted above.

Des Curtis, author of “A Most Secret Squadron. The Story of No.618 Squadron RAF” and aircrew in 618 to at least May 1944, wrote that only 27 Mosquitos were loaded on Fencer & Striker in Glasgow ie 24 Highballs and 3 PR.

Also the fleet carriers that they were supposed to operate from could each carry 12 when operating Mosquitos. The issue of FB.VI in Australia suggests they couldn’t afford to lose any.

Anyway I’ll look through my data and the squadron ORB over the weekend and post what I find.

• Thanks 1

I've been back to my records and the ORB.

During Sept 1944 the ORB has all 29 of the Highball aircraft in the final configuration (Oxtail) delivered from Weybridge to Beccles. The production data agrees with Bowyer & Sharp "Mosquito" and Mark Huxstable's data over on www.mossie.org. ( www.mossie.org/donated_files/donated_files.htm )Then in Oct one was lost in a crash (11/10/44) and another lost its undercart (3/10/44) when it swung on take off. Embarkation instructions were given to the squadron on 12/10/44 and various mods required to be made to the aircraft before they were flown to Renfrew from 25/10/44. It was a hectic month for them. So 27 Highball Mk.IV were left to be flown up to Renfrew to be put on the carriers.

Then on the 28th Oct 1944 the ORB has this to say:-

"All Mark IV and Mark XVI PR Mosquito had by this time been hoisted on the carriers at Glasgow. An instruction was given from Air Ministry through Headquarters, Coastal Command CC/TS. 15250/Ops G. dated 12/10/44 that three of the Mosquito IV aircraft should remain in England for future trials with the weapon, and therefore 24 Mark IV and 3 Mark XVI (PR) aircraft were finally embarked."

Where I think the confusion about the 24/25 aircraft issue comes from is the Mark Huxstable Mosquito data I have, which he took from Air Britain Serials. He has 2 aircraft (DZ541 & DZ579) serving with AAEE and MAEE respectively after service with 618. The data for the remaining 25 airframes from Air Britain Serials shows them all as being SOC off charge on 5/4/46 with their last unit in all cases being 618. But how can there be if 618 only took 24 to Australia?

If David Vincent was working from the same data he would come to a figure of 25, being 27 flown north to Renfrew minus the 2 aircraft identified as serving afterwards with trial units. But that doesn't fit with the ORB.

So I'm satisfied that only 24 Mk.IV and 3 Mk.XVI went to Australia (at least until someone can come up with some conclusive evidence that it actually is 25 - never say never but it would be at odds with the ORB). The only piece of information I'm now missing is the identity of the third aircraft retained in the UK.

Edited by EwenS
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The serials from “Mosquito Monograph” – A History of Mosquitoes in Australia and RAAF Operations, by David Vincent self- published in 1982.  non RAAF Mosquitoes, the aircraft that did not crash are listed as disposed of by sale to the public 1947.

618 Squadron 25 mark IV, RAF Serials Register states all Struck Off Charge 5 April 1946

DZ520, DZ524, DZ529, DZ531, DZ537, DZ539, DZ542, DZ546, DZ552, DZ554, DZ555, DZ556, DZ559, DZ575, DZ577, DZ581, DZ582, DZ583, DZ585, DZ586, DZ618, DZ639, DZ648, DZ651, DZ652.  Note DZ543, not in the above list, has the entry presumed SOC 5 Apr 1946

618 Squadron 12 mark VI, HR571, HR576* Disintegrated in mid air firing test flight 2 May 1945, HR578, HR580, HR603*, HR608*, HR609, HR610, HR614** crashed after loss of control whilst manoeuvering at low altitude 27 July 1945, HR619, HR621, HR623*, Serial Registers, * = Sydney 12 February 1945, ** = Sydney 21 March 1945, all others Sydney 28 February 1945.  No further information.

618 Squadron 3 mark XVI, NS729, NS732, NS735 crashed in flames during transit flight 19 June 1945.  Serial Registers, first two struck Off Charge 5 April 1946, NX735 21 June 1947.

Finally

TA597 en route to RNZAF crashed during take off from Darwin 1947, sold 1949

TA597 en route to RNZAF crashed into sea off Sydney Island, Gulf of Carpentaria 26 March 1947

• Thanks 2

On 23/06/2021 at 09:10, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

The serials from “Mosquito Monograph” – A History of Mosquitoes in Australia and RAAF Operations, by David Vincent self- published in 1982.  non RAAF Mosquitoes, the aircraft that did not crash are listed as disposed of by sale to the public 1947.

618 Squadron 25 mark IV, RAF Serials Register states all Struck Off Charge 5 April 1946

DZ520, DZ524, DZ529, DZ531, DZ537, DZ539, DZ542, DZ546, DZ552, DZ554, DZ555, DZ556, DZ559, DZ575, DZ577, DZ581, DZ582, DZ583, DZ585, DZ586, DZ618, DZ639, DZ648, DZ651, DZ652.  Note DZ543, not in the above list, has the entry presumed SOC 5 Apr 1946

618 Squadron 12 mark VI, HR571, HR576* Disintegrated in mid air firing test flight 2 May 1945, HR578, HR580, HR603*, HR608*, HR609, HR610, HR614** crashed after loss of control whilst manoeuvering at low altitude 27 July 1945, HR619, HR621, HR623*, Serial Registers, * = Sydney 12 February 1945, ** = Sydney 21 March 1945, all others Sydney 28 February 1945.  No further information.

618 Squadron 3 mark XVI, NS729, NS732, NS735 crashed in flames during transit flight 19 June 1945.  Serial Registers, first two struck Off Charge 5 April 1946, NX735 21 June 1947.

Finally

TA597 en route to RNZAF crashed during take off from Darwin 1947, sold 1949

TA597 en route to RNZAF crashed into sea off Sydney Island, Gulf of Carpentaria 26 March 1947

The ORB listed those 25 MK.IV plus DZ541 & DZ579 as "transferred out of the command" when it loaded aboard Fencer & Striker in Oct 1944. But as I previously noted only 24 of those 25 went to Australia (the other pair went to AAEE & MAEE respectively). So there is an error in the history of one aircraft. The question is which one? Unfortunately the ORB has no serial listings after that point.

As for DZ543, it is recorded as a loss in the ORB page of aircraft flying stats (but is recorded as DZ648 in the body of the ORB for 11 Oct 1944) with the loss of both crew on 11/10/44. DZ648 is listed on the stats page as one of those 27 "transferred out of the command" at the end of Oct, so the main body of the ORB seems to me to record the incorrect serial number for some unknown reason. This aircraft was en route from Beccles to Turnberry for weapon release practice. The weapon was "removed, amid great secrecy, by special police". I have the following information from Mark Huxstable's data on DZ543, which expands a bit on what appears in the ORB itself:-

On the 11th of October 1944 this Mosquito was on a transit flight. It was flying in low cloud with the pilot using his instruments, the pilot climbed to avoid the high ground he was heading towards. It is thought that he only noticed the ground at the last minute and pulled up sharply, control was then lost and the aircraft struck the ground on the down side of the hill just after midday killing both crew. The aircraft was on a mission which was secret at the time, it was carrying " Highball", a smaller version of the bouncing bomb which was intended for use on shipping. The aircraft exploded on impact, with the large bomb rolling down the hill into the orchard at the farm. Being possibly the only witness to the crash the young Mr Luck went to alert the Police about the situation, as there were no telephones in Bransdale at the time he had to ride his bicycle to Gillamoor to alert PC Bell. In a short while the RAF authorities arrived in Bransdale, apparently driving straight through every gates they came to, smashing them down. They interviewed Mr Luck and removed the wreckage. Had the bomb gone off he was told the farmhouse and a wide area of Bransdale would have been destroyed. My thanks goes to Mr Luck for the evening of memories he recounted to me and to Mrs Luck for her hospitality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Highball" was developed by Barnes Wallis as an alternative to the torpedo, it was to be carried by Mosquitos, the Highball could cause more damage to ships than a torpedo as the explosive payload could be larger. The Highball could also skip over the traditional torpedo defences which could be in place. The Tirpitz was to be the first ship attacked by Highball at the same time as the Dam Buster Raids but this was called off as the Germans had secured all areas which could be damaged by bouncing bombs after the Ruhr raid. 618 Squadron was soon transfered to Australia to assist the Americans. The Americans shelved the idea, making the crash on the North Yorkshire Moors of this 618 Sqdn aircraft with a Highball quite rare. .
Alot of the aircraft was present at the site in a pit until the 1960's until much was removed by a now defunct group called Yorkshire Aircraft Preservation Society, headed by the now legendary Brian Rapier. The tail wheel section from this aircraft was recovered at the time and found its way to the Mosquito rebuild which is now housed at the Yorkshire Air Museum. The Highball carrier was also recovered and is now on display at the same Museum.
http://www.allenby.info/aircraft/planes/44/south.html Flew into Bransdale Hill Helmsdale Sutherland 11.10.44 (Air Britain Serials) 11.10.44 618 Sqn. DZ543 Aircraft was flying in cloud and pilot climbed to avoid hill top, lost control and crashed on down hill slope on far side of Bransdale Hill near Helmsdale, Yorks. Top secret training on which squadron was engaged handicapped contro(Mosquito Crash Log)

Name: Aircraft crash site, Mosquito, Serial number DZ543, Near Barnsdale
NY SMR Number: MNY30867
Type of record: Monument
Last edited: 13/05/2010 15:48:31

Protected Status
Protected Military Remains: Aircraft crash site, Mosquito, Serial number DZ543, Near Barnsdale
Grid Reference: SE 61 96
Parish: 3016 Bransdale; Ryedale; NYMNP

Monument Type(s):
AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE (11/10/1944 Modern - 1944 AD)
MOSQUITO (11/10/1944 Modern - 1944 AD)

The other 618 sqn MkVI loss was HR609 for which I have the following information.

To 47 MU Burtonwood 4/12/44 and Liverpool Docks 8/12/44. Shipped to Sydney 16/12/44 via "LS1979", "SS Essex", arriving 28/2/45. Assembled by DH Australia and issued to 618 sqdn RAF 4/45 coded "S1". On 12/6/45 W/O Stacey and Flt Sgt Knight forcelanded at West Dubbo, near Narrowmine after engine problems. SOC later. Transfered to RAAF for disposal. (Brian Fillery's website) Engine cut crashlanded 1m W of Dubbo NSW 12.5.45 (Air Britain Serials)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Australian Archives Series 9845 control symbol 145 is readable online, has the following Mosquito accident reports
HR576, 609, 614, NS735, PUL606 (A52-606 = NS694?), TE746

HR576, 5.4 flying hours on airframe, 2 May 1945 11.45 hours F/Lt. D.G Rochford killed (1,587.5 flying hours, 264.3 on Mosquito), crew LAC C.B. Boydell killed (Aircrew trainee).  Aircraft a write off.  Court of inquiry considered cause to be port wing failure probably commencing with front spar inboard from the engine at number 2 rib.

HR609, 15.00 hours 12 June 1945 1 mile due west Dubbo golf course, Aircraft crash landed, flying hours on airframe 9.45.  Pilot W/O J.C. Stacey slightly injured (745.35 flying hours, 26.40 on Mosquito) crew F/Sgt E.H.E. Knight safe.  Apparent failure of C.S.U. or something connected with it, causing starboard propeller revs to reach maximum which pilot was unable to reduce substantially - followed by apparent failure of feathering device and subsequent catching fire of engine.  Failure of starboard propeller to feather presumably caused such excessive drag as to prevent aircraft being flown on remaining motor.  Aircraft requires complete overhaul.

It would be nice to find a list of LS ((Cargo) Liner Special?) to ship names given the RAF tends to use the codes in documentation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1