Tiger Transporter - Schwerer Platformwagen 80T SSyms +++ Finished +++

Bonhoff

Hi all,

This is my project for this GB - A rail wagon capable of transporting a Tiger tank.

51101529045_596b1cf242_z.jpg

As the tank designs got larger and heavier, the rail wagons had to as well, culminating in this bad boy - Despite the increase in the size of the wagon, the Tiger was still too wide for it in its combat form.

I've already constructed a load for the wagon using the new 1/72nd Airfix Tiger but had to modify it for transportation. 

This necessitated the removal of the side skirts, outer wheels and fitting narrow "Transport" tracks to the Tiger.

51044685416_941eac6630_z.jpg

I've made a start on it already, but I'll note progress in another entry in the next few days.

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 4

• Bonhoff changed the title to Tiger Transporter - Schwerer Platformwagen 80T SSyms

There are two kits in the box - These are the parts required for one...

51123600309_85473cbd8b_c.jpg

The load bed is presented in etched steel with no plastic alternative,, it also comes with a wood veneer overlay. PE is also supplied for handles, steps and the like.

Let's start building - Track first, sleepers come with rail chairs moulded on them and the rail is simply slid through them. Sleeper spacing is a very specific 5.28mm but I found that my stash of takeaway coffee/paint stirrers averaged out at 5.3mm in width so were used as spacers.

51123600154_43526c06cb_c.jpg

Interestingly, to me at least, the track gauge scales out at 1520mm, or put another way, Russian broad gauge than to standard gauge - Would anyone care to confirm as I thought that the Germans re-gauged the Soviet lines  to standard as they went along?

Anyway - I decided to build the bogies next, they went together without drama plus all the wheels turn!

51124657485_a7a0300eb2_c.jpg

51123854086_1436cf8c80_c.jpg

There are also PE details to fit - All items are sandwiched between two sheets and there is no cutting out necessary as the parts have already been stamped out of the fret in the factory.

Here are a few of them.

51123286837_5136d25bd1_c.jpg

Chassis constructed.

51123599489_10154bff31_c.jpg

And the loadbed just place on the chassis, along with the load.

51123599474_dc26028e59_c.jpg

That's it for now - I need to get back in the Iancave to progress further this evening.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 7

Bit more done, deck glued down properly.

51138859247_706664c175_c.jpg

On the deck, in front of the Tiger, is one of the couplings - There are two options in the kit, either a "Simple" or "Advanced" option.

The "Advanced" option comprises 3 pieces of plastic and four of photo etch and built up very nicely. In fact, despite the kit looking complicated, it's been a relatively simple build occasionally made trickier by my 10 thumbs.

51139534571_b76ba2b9d2_c.jpg

Primed and ready for paint

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's at this point that I started to get a bit carried away, so the photos make it look like that project has jumped ahead somewhat, which I guess it has....

51190304345_bc5bc30d1b_c.jpg

Here we see some aspects of the load for the wagon - The tracks have been donated by a bargain Airfix 1/76th Tiger and I can use the "simplified" track units left over from the 1/72nd one built for the load as replacements. Even the axles line up!

Then we have the timber baulks that slot into the holes in the load deck, used to provide some sideways location when the tank is parked - These are scratchbuilt using wooden coffee stirrers, plastic rod and plastic sheet to make the bracketry. One thing I had to do was redrill a line of holes in the one side of the deck as for some reason the plates weren't "mirrored" when the deck was designed, if that makes sense...

51189239391_5af7e24ccb_c.jpg

Some chocks have also been fabricated - The spare outer wheels have been stacked also.

51189455513_d7ceb23d24_c.jpg

The whole wagon was airbrushed using Vallejo "Panzer Grey" and then it was time for the timber deck - This has been supplied as a self adhesive wooden veneer, I took my time with it and it went down with no issue.

51188531657_17d275fe1a_c.jpg

Next, I'll tone down the deck and sort out the lashing down of the Tiger.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

Hi,

40 years ago when my model railway was still active, I built an OO model of a WWI "Rectank" made for the War Department in 1918 specifically to carry tanks. It had a capacity of 35 tons so somewhat less than the  one you are building! After the war ended they were sold off and mine is in the markings of the LNER. Don't know about yours but mine had jacks at each end to stop the truck moving as the tank drove on at one end.

Looking very nice so far Ian.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Load in the process of being tied down - Chain is Peco, 13 links to the inch - Base has been made for the track, Foamboard with ballast, oil staining along line by Humbrol enamel wash.

51231654929_07c876e344_c.jpg

There is conflicting information with regards how the tanks were tied down - Earlier wagons utilised the tanks' own cables located in a slot in the load bed, later ones seem to have dispensed with these slots and relied on hooks on the buffer beams, so that's what I have gone for. If chains were used then I'm assuming that a screw link was used for tightening up, I don't have any...

And completed!

51230887851_619a69bb5c_c.jpg

Nice simple build, the model is considerably simplified compared with its 1/35th brethren , undoubtedly then made more complex by me deciding to put a load and all the associated gubbins on it.

I'll post some better photos in the gallery when I can take pictures in daylight.

IanJ

• Like 7

Very nice wagon mate. I had the though once to do a full train with flat beds and tanks on it, but then I built the Trumpeter locomotive in 1/35 and it put me off that idea!

• Like 1

• Bonhoff changed the title to Tiger Transporter - Schwerer Platformwagen 80T SSyms +++ Finished +++