1/48 Messerschmitt F-4/trop Hans-Joachim Marseille FINISHED

fmichelsen

Hello everyone.
My second entry for this GB, but one I am more familiar with, a Bf-109 in 1/48. It is the very nice model from Eduard, a weekend edition though, so have to make my own masks, but I'm sure it will turn out okay. Maybe I'll be missing the PE parts, but I think the plastic parts do look fine. It will be made as Hans-Joachim Marseille plane, in which he flew from August 24th, 1942 to September 25th, 1942 in Quotaifiya, Egypt. Hans-Joachim Marseille died on September the 30th, 1942, when he catapulted himself out from a malfunctioning aircraft (a Bf 109g-2) and was struck by his own tail rudder. He fainted and did never open his parachute and fell to his dead. This aircraft I'm building was later lost on October 22nd, 1942, when it was hit by flak south of El Alamein. Some of the decals are from Eduard's Afrika Dual Combo kit, the stencils will be from the weekend set. 
I'm so looking forward to begin with this set, I like the bf 109, and I have saved the decals for Hans-Joachim Marseille's aircraft for quite some time, and suddenly I remembered that I could use it in this group build :D I have made a few desert 109's already, but those I've made only painted with rlm 79 on top, do look a bit to uniform, so I will try to live it up with some weathering 🤔 Anyways, here are some pictures of the box, the frames, the decals and the aircraft I'll be making :)
y4mylDBcmabVZuovAeoc8UxZIqt7TK3WxllRpQyIy4mCIsA1JZMZktFZ1C6XTRQcd9y5QSZZfk2j3Riw

y4mVDcZJpZQnx-UnyvYzWuQngEUM2BgBfIr0qCpfy4mAv2Ss9y1-uFhbHO6UG1aPymNgmSSLUtONARRH
Thank you for watching :)   

• Like 4

Today I got the cockpit put together. Everything went fine together, though I had to sand of a bit on some of the things, to make them fit the holes. There are still a few things that need to be added after painting. More on that later, here are a picture of the cockpit as it look right now :)
y4mv_s_1LHPt4sjwN08MXRl2qdNX2zbaGDEiD34j

I must confess, I do like it better with the PE part, specially the pedals. But when it's closed up, I guess must of it will be hard to see anyway :)

• Like 2

The cockpit is now done. The fuel tube (I guess that's what it is) will be added before closing the fuselage. It has been painted with AK's rlm 66, then highlighted with a few drops of white in the airbrush, and finally drybrush. The decals went on without to much trouble. The seatbelt decals do not look that great TBH, but it will be fine.  

y4mQ2PiBWXrPd2lmgj4l2eYYKYa1qJo0X9Oh2EsJy4mDf_bAMpaC7rsd7mFsZK_I22CSvg1dOzNTZ7Ou

y4m4oZJ1TgB8I52ceVW0umG7qshKzfa2LjdSLQS2

• Like 5

I've managed to get something build the last couple of days. The kit fits very fine together, and I haven't used any filler. I decided to go with flaps down and open canopy on this one. I have primed everything in vallejo's black primer as shown on pictures. Next up I will give it some "random" spots of grey/white to make it look less uniform when the final paint coats are applied. 
y4mhgEgPmKlbwVjZahpOut0nt4rU8kQ6rJ2aC8qzy4m6LN5qPPZkhpCBmyfCgb0Q0sjB0A2ke04cGXY-

• Like 2

Things got a bit out of hands last couple of days. I painted the aircraft with white splotches, but not random, but on all panels, it did take some time, but I think it was worth it. Normally I will do preshading, and I guess it count as the same :) I is paint with AK real colour RLM 78,79,04 and 02 and AK's white grey, rubber black, black and AK's clear coat. I am a big fan of AK reals colour, they just seem to work everytime without any trouble :D Here are some pictures of it so far. I'll be putting on decals soon. 
y4m6L8pDymHZrSjbjqyIP3OJDeLRF-xZirFEcMrBy4mqucti0aJIk8vvdAOhHoTOTlFG4WMB0GyAwXNI

y4mq7sLc-tuDDxFLDUHpC_Q--rI17AJdroK017FO

• Like 5

Disaster.....🤦‍♂️
I put on the decals friday evening when being a bit "too" tired. It turned out that I put on the wrong ones 😫 I was close to make everything go airborne out of the window when I discovered it!! But after the worst rage had taken of, I found out that the ones on the wing were the same, as goes for the swastika. So decide to see if it was possible to remove the decals without to much fuzz. It wasnt. First tried with many sort of tape, but that did'nt work. I had to remove them with the scalpel and the sandpaper. When that was done, I had to start from scratch again, with primer, then highlighting the panels, then RLM 78 for the buttom, then 79 for the fuselage, then clear coat. All this without damaging the other remaining decals and paintwork. Here are a picture of the process just after the black primer had been added.
y4mXLX0WIQKIjJSkXWmYzKdl1bkzq9RObO8y8hBly4mEQxD6WsGWB5uNyhaHAodw-mPMpXPGV1jz8rrv

And here are the pictures after the operation. I guess the patient lives on 🤪 There is however a slight color difference between the new and old RLM 78 upperside color. So when all decals are in places, I'll have to see if I can blend it a bit together with some weathering. 
y4mxWcRNyHKrTDSh_ruvwPsGD1BTqYgJ1oduSrni

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 6:54 AM, fmichelsen said:

And here are the pictures after the operation. I guess the patient lives on 🤪 There is however a slight color difference between the new and old RLM 78 upperside color. So when all decals are in places, I'll have to see if I can blend it a bit together with some weathering. 
y4mxWcRNyHKrTDSh_ruvwPsGD1BTqYgJ1oduSrni

A wash or dot filter of some sort should blend all that together. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Im sure at some point there was a replacement aircraft arrived in theater that needed a repaint. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Field repair.  ;)

Like mentioned above, I bet with a little wash/filter most would be none the wiser.  And if anyone does pipe off about it, tell 'em it's the after effects of a field repair.  I'm actually toying with the idea of doing something similar on an upcoming model at some point.  Build, paint, decal, filter (fade tint) overcoat and then paint a couple panels in fresh paint.

• Like 1

Yes, I guess field repairs is a good explanation to it ;) I have finished putting on all the decals on the left side, and it already look more blended together, so i'm sure with some wash and some dot filtering it will be fine :) 

To do it on purpose, to make it look like there has been replaced some panels is an interesting idea I think. I've seen used before, but to representate old marking beeing painted over.  That looked pretty cool :)

The last decals are now in place. So next up is a few fixes, then a new gloss coat, then weathering :) I think the "replacement" parts look okay now ;)  Here are some pictures taken few minutes ago :)
y4mW2FhRkn8qkdPzkyQplTnEU-3T01XINRzKhaRfy4mU1heSjkGUJ7i_FjZPRHyL02qu6RVmAbXImymKy4mUflCUsyvuA1BHBOmRW4cCT2dPq9_tqY2wuIGh

Edited by fmichelsen
  • Like 3

The model is finished :) I think it turned out good, and it's replacement part is less visible then I feared it would be :) 
Here is a picture of it, I will post 5 in the gallery very soon :)
I did some weathering, both with airbrush, brush and oils!
y4m5D5Fxe8txd6jbIyeN8goDZu3CiNSMXDUKwpku 

• Like 4

• fmichelsen changed the title to 1/48 Messerschmitt F-4/trop Hans-Joachim Marseille FINISHED

Excellent job, I have the 1/72 AZ kit which has 3 different schemes for his aircraft which I may build in the forthcoming Bf-109 GB.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Excellent job, I have the 1/72 AZ kit which has 3 different schemes for his aircraft which I may build in the forthcoming Bf-109 GB.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Sounds exciting, hid did flew, and crash, quite a lot of aircrafts;) I read about his career, and thought it was good reading  :)

• Like 1