Mercedes L 4500 firewall thing

Lummox

Hi All.

I'm currently dabbling with a Zvezda Mercedes L 4500. It's a pretty cool kit, with generally great detail (like the engine) but unfortunately the firewall is somewhat lacking. I'm planning to add the odd gizmo or two to dress things up, one item being what I'm guessing to be a fuel cut-off valve thing (see below). I am very much guessing though, and don't really know what it is or where the 'plumbing' comes from or ends up.

0171c212-9634-42b3-be5b-fe46a966718c.jpg

66268563-7b5f-4e6a-bfc5-f736b4c5738d.jpg

The second image has the words 'füllen' and 'fahrt' below the lever. My German is sadly very poor, but perhaps these mean 'to fill' and 'speed' or 'journey'?

I suspect that this is related to the fuel line in some way, being fed from the fuel tank, and leading into the fuel injector on the engine - maybe?

I'm hoping that you smart folk at BritModeller may be able to help me out, any input or suggestion being most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

• Like 1

"Füllen" is "fill it up" and "Fahrt" is "drive"

So, in order to fil that system, put the lever to the left (with a hose connected to the thread supplying ... hmh, water? Or air for the brake assistance?) and when done, turn the lever down (to close that valve and disconnect the supply hose)

The German wikipedia https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_L_4500

tells us the brakes are of the hydraulic type with assistance via pressurized air, but to who knows?

Maybe there is a "Handbuch" oder "Betriebsanleitung" hidden somehwere in the internet, I can only find a 30,-€ reprint http://wh-versand.de/Artikel_Dv/2006673.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Or air for the brake assistance?

Many thanks Jochen, I think you may have solved the puzzle.

A while ago I stumbled across an image of a L 4500 brochure which includes a brake system schematic....

9480e5fe-d5ac-4f0e-a096-41496ed8ad00.jpg

The diagram is pretty small, but zooming in we see something that looks very similar to the valve on the firewall...

78328660-5973-4ba2-9d13-efe77f7b11fc.jpg

So may well be that it is a value between the compressor on the engine and the air tank (which makes compete sense given the location of the air tank and compressor relative to the value).

Thanks again Jochen.

• Thanks 1