Science Treasury Isuzu TX-40 Fuel Truck **Finished**

JOCKNEY

Having really enjoyed building an Esci Valentine in the recent MTO III GB, the first armoured vehicle I've built in 40+ years, the recent discovery of this one seems ideal.

IMG_5761

I believe these kits were rebranded as Fujimi later on, has anyone built one' and if so what colours should I use as there is no guidence at all with the kit !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

It was re-released by Hasegawa. Found an online review which includes a scan of the painting guide which lists FS numbers for the main colours. Hope it gives you at least a point in the right direction.

https://lagoonannex.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/isuzu-tx-40-oob-008.jpg

Starter for 10 - body is Vallejo 70.977 Desert Yellow (not dessert yellow, that's custard :D) and the tilt is 70.614 IDF Sand Grey

This table may or may not be useful for converting to your favourite paint range:

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/pdf/RCEquivalenceDIG.pdf

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of these Science Treasury kits, and I think they are actually slightly dodgy copies of the Hasegawa kits.  They have the same sprue and parts breakdown but distinctly iffy quality. 

The fact that the Hasegawa kits are 20 years earlier tooling is the "smoking gun".  Okay, found the story here.

Probably best to jettison the generic stickers (yes stickers) included!

• Like 5

Hi @malpaso

Thanks for the link, that explains the bizarre wording in the instructions. 

Thank goodness the kit turns out better that the drawings contained within the instructions. 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

This should be fun. I have quite a bit of info on Japanese tank colours but absolutely nothing on this sort of vehicle! If in doubt I would suggest a "Khaki" sort of colour - as on Jamie's Colourcoats site (in fact that is the only IJA colour for vehicles he has so far) but of course this is IJAAF so probably totally wrong.

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

This should be fun. I have quite a bit of info on Japanese tank colours but absolutely nothing on this sort of vehicle! If in doubt I would suggest a "Khaki" sort of colour - as on Jamie's Colourcoats site (in fact that is the only IJA colour for vehicles he has so far) but of course this is IJAAF so probably totally wrong.

Pete

I was considering IJAAF trainer orange, any thoughts  :tmi:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

IJAAF so probably totally wrong.

IJAAF is IJA so probably right.

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was considering IJAAF trainer orange, any thoughts  :tmi:

Cheers Pat

Hell no.

AW 

• Haha 2

Confirming everything that has been said, about dodgy copies of Hasegawa kits - and dump the stickers.

I built this Science Treasury CMC fuel truck,

GMC-Tankr.jpg

Same shape chassis/cab parts, as this Hasegawa CMC cargo truck.

GMC-Cargo-Covered.jpg

Apart from NO metal axles with the Science Treasury kit.

• Like 2

Aaaaaggghh.  I just found my copy of this kit.  The instructions are photos of the model in progress.  I think.  They are so poorly exposed and printed they make your line drawing version a model of clarity!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

Aaaaaggghh.  I just found my copy of this kit.  The instructions are photos of the model in progress.  I think.  They are so poorly exposed and printed they make your line drawing version a model of clarity!

I will post the rest of the instructions on here so you can use them.

However, beware I've found errors in them already, so will point these out with the kit.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks for the link to the Hasegawa instructions @malpaso, I'll be using those from now on, as I can already see I have glued the end of the fuel tank on upside down !

Some progress yesterday

IMG_5777

Please note the propshaft coupling misses the mounting point and both of them are pre molded so not a mistake on my part !

Next the cab fit is really poor, caused by the bench seat being too wide

IMG_5778

IMG_5779

Narrowing the seat in progress

IMG_5780

More later

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Managed to get the cab to fit today. First picture trying to show how much has been removed from the seat width

IMG_5789

Left side removed, right side not.

Also I managed to remove the end of the tank and put it the right way up.

I made a really great discovery for me today, if you use Tamiya Extra Thin, and have to unstick or reposition something just reapply the extra thin over the area, and it dissolves the old glue instantly, just reposition and it resets !

Apologies to all those who knew that already..

IMG_5790

Left side done, right side still to do, note the gap at the very bottom of the cab where it meets the seat base.

Cheers Pat

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

We'll get you a Tamiya kit for Christmas, so just once you'll be able to put everything together in one go 😉 

Actually I did build a Tamiya kit recently 

IMG_5572

It was shocking, everything fitted as it should, I mean where's the challenge in that ! :shrug:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 5