Sherman and Crew (Henglong)

D0BFC982-C507-455C-8B59-9A8FA33A7788 D6CF93E5-6EF6-4305-AF7E-579360B59B35 5B0FCD20-43DD-4F04-B694-92033E2F6CD1 52B033BF-A55F-4934-9C10-AC08EE1707CA 8A82AF8F-F8E0-4DF1-85D8-A74791E6C743 6188B328-230C-46E7-97B9-F7664D3C2EAA 5240C1F9-C615-4C48-BDD1-6B7F475CCFCA

As I was on holiday, I thought I’d have a go at the Henglong Sherman this week. I also splashed out on some Sol resin figures (curse you Forgebear). Loved the quality of the figures.

The Henglong Sherman is a nice, sturdy shell. I bought it from eBay as a ‘static display’ although it does seem to have electronics inside.

The hardest part was the hatches. These are metal replacements. The Henglong comes with the hatches moulded closed. I got a piece of metal and shaped the perimeter for the hatches, heated the metal up and it melted through the old hatches absolutely cleanly.

The stowage was made using a chamois leather for cleaning the car! Who knew it moulded to shape?

Now I’ve uploaded the photos I see that I’ve missed the cupola glass and I’ve forgotten to paint the lights. Although ready for inspection, these models are never finished!

• Like 17

What a beast very nicely done....one criticism though ...hope you don't mind.....but the hatches for the driver and radio operator shouldn't be laying flat on the hull

Otherwise very well done and the figures look great.

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks @M3talpig. Luckily the hatches are hinged so I can lift them into their correct position. But those are the details I want to know.

While you’re there... on the cupola, would all of the gaps have been a greeny-blue for glass? I can’t find any photos of that part specifically.

thanks 

1 hour ago, The Great Escape said:

While you’re there... on the cupola, would all of the gaps have been a greeny-blue for glass?

I would do a blue green gloss for the cupola glass....in fact i did with E3 that i did last year.....i think how they look depends a lot on light and weather conditions at the time...i have also seen them painted straight gloss black...but that's a bit boring isn't it :D

spacer.png  spacer.png

The drivers hatch area is actually a cast piece...and as you can see from the photo above has a raised edge around the hinge and the opening for the lid....and i dropped in the pic of the cupola just for details......some useful sites for you also..... @Das Abteilung is also a very knowledgeable person on all things Sherman (be prepared to be bombarded with info :D)

http://www.theshermantank.com/tag/sherman-tank/

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/us/m4_sherman

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

• Like 3

11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

(be prepared to be bombarded with info :D)

Hey, I resemble that remark..........

I believe the glass colour will vary according to whether the hatch is open or shut.  When shut they will appear black as the tank is only dimly lit inside.  When open they will appear a a greeny-blue like all armoured laminated glass.

• Thanks 1