Cuckoo - RAF air/sea rescue dumb barge or rescue float

tnuag

During WW2 these rescue floats were moored at various grid references in the English Channel as a haven for ditched aircrew.

I started this project before my wife died and have finally got round to finishing it.

The delay is beneficial as we now have 3D printing - very different to cast resin ad etched brass.

Anyway the design is finished and we are now doing some rest shots - here are some screen shots including two of the interior. The model has a removable superstructure, to give access to this detailed interior.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Initially 1:72, but the beauty of 3D printing is that you can do any scale. I have put in all the details that I could find, so 1:48 is possible, while 1:144 has given some remarkable results.

As an example, we are doing some test shots of the Wendy loader in 1:144, while a Sentinel tractor built in 1:144 as a single part. There are two photographs of this tractor on the Hannants page at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE144050?result-token=eHiAR

Edited by tnuag
Additional information added

@tnuag You're a gentleman, Sir. Many thanks for your quick reply. Will keep an eye on here and the Hannants web site.

A 'how long's a piece of string' question, do you have a time scale for release in mind?

My thanks again,

Paul

We expect to deliver the 1:72 version to Hannants between May and July this year, provided no major problems crop up during production.

As regards other scales, are there any of interest -1:144 / 1:48 / 1:35 ? - Some feedback here would be helpful and appreciated.

Edited by tnuag
Punctuation revised

This is from a personal perpective. A 48th scale 'Cuckoo' would be, assuming the length to be in the 30' - 35', ideal for our SIG table, as it's red and yellow banded!

If it's a great deal larger, we may finish up with a storage problem. Finally found some dimensions:- Length 34ft, beam 13ft, height 9ft, assuming this is correct?

Once again, many thanks for your quick response.

Paul

This was the source data I used, based on a document from Carrier Engineering Co. of Wembly.
ASR1 to ASR 16
Displacement: 10.8 tons
Hull dimensions: Length 32’ 02”
Beam 10’ 0”
Moulded Depth 6’ 0”
Draft 3’ 3”

It is simple to do some kits in 1:48 - it only means changing one value in the CAD program.

I designed it so that you can lift the superstructure off to let the interior be seen if required.

I will try to get the German Lobster Pot finished as well.

That's great @tnuag, and once again thank you for the quick reply. Undoubtedly there will be some who want the other scales, it's just that in this instance,

48th will fit in with the SIG display. I mean, I've seen a scratch built version in, I believe, 1/12th, it was R/C though!

Paul

There is one preserved at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Invine.

As an aside, we have just built the first 1:72 example and it needs a few adjustments, but overall I am pleased with it. If all goes to plan, the kit should be with Hannants in late May or June.

I enjoyed building it in CAD and now have to do the Luftwaffe equivalent - the Lobster Pot.

• 1 month later...

It is still looking good -  two kits are planned for June: the de Havilland No.1, and the Cuckoo. It may slip into July, but I hope not.

The Cuckoo is more complicated, because it is possible to lift the superstructure off to see a detailed interior.

The de H No.1 will test the modellers patience in removing all the 3D printing supports, but you cannot have the finesse and quality without it.

I am still amazed at the results of 3D printing.

• Like 1