It's, Hurrah for the Union!

4 hours ago, Crayons said:

Black powder is a shooting experience all of its own. Ive got a repo Parker Hale Enfield 1861 .58cal muzzle loader that I fire a 500gr Minié ball through, between that and the M-H its a hard choice to pick which one. The M-H generally wins for ease and speed of loading. Water buffalo are angry sods when you don't quite drop them with the first shot.

I'll add as an edit, other reason the M-H wins. Top hat percussion caps tend to fragment on firing, no one wants a face full of metal fragments. That's my personal experience anyways. And sorry to sidetrack your thread.

No problem. The good thing about black powder is the taste. You can't beat biting those cartridges and getting a gobful of that acrid, lip-splitting nectar. Spitting out black saliva and using all the best words in English.

NOT!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

No problem. The good thing about black powder is the taste. You can't beat biting those cartridges and getting a gobful of that acrid, lip-splitting nectar. Spitting out black saliva and using all the best words in English.

NOT!

You forgot to mention the other great thing, if you miss, you can beat a hasty retreat in the cover of the great cloud of smoke.

• Like 1

1619798758951-14387396

A Brooklyn zombie.

The customary slow progress. 

Focussing on the head and adjacent areas first so the awkward right shoulder area gets done.

Gonna take a while.

• Like 2

A quick snapshot of progress.

Face and hair got some attention today.

(Light was difficult to balance this morning, so another bad photograph)

• Like 2

This kind of gives an idea of today's progress but it's all too bright.

Reality is darker.

Whatever...

Been shading the red - honest!

That moustache is very "Village People"

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 1

E0dxlLAWYAQBkvE

Il pleut battant dehors. So the Yankee is getting some attention. More red shading and the bread bag (painted the wrong colour) is getting dirtied some more. Am toying with the idea of applying a dark earth wash to bring it down further. Gaiters next.

• Like 2

Going to admit, I was very dubious about that red at the start, but I am really liking how this is turning out, especially the face. Excellent work.

• Like 1

Managed to #3 shade the gaiters and other off-white parts this morning. But conservatory is too damned cold to linger and getting a photo with this phone is a lost cause.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

However ...

Later on, things warmed up and the jacket got shaded too.

Will try and sort some photos out tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing the updated photos.

Our conservatory is beginning to warm up at long last after resembling a deep freeze for the past half-year, so I hope to be able to come up with much improved images of my own stuff over the next few months.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 07:22, Crayons said:

Going to admit, I was very dubious about that red at the start, but I am really liking how this is turning out, especially the face. Excellent work.

It's all getting very down & dirty now.

I get a perverse delight in starting them off like a bad Xmas tree decoration and finishing up with something that looks like its slept under a hedge for the last 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this project.

Progressed to the highlighting stage.

Photos just come out badly every time.

Will post when completed.

• 2 weeks later...