Airfix (MPC) Stutz Bearcat in 1/25th Scale.Finished.

Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,I'd like to join in with this one If I may.

Having had a couple of months off Group Builds working on a couple of bits that I'm not really enjoying I thought I'd drop in here with something different to my usual fare and try to regain some enthusiasm.The only car I've ever built was the Airfix E Type Jaguar a lot of years ago so this is not well trodden ground for me. 

eETNjhD.jpg

Here's what's in the box.

zhl2jpq.jpg

The map recommends starting with the engine,why not thought I so I did.

DiromTg.jpg

Having glued the block and cylinder heads together I fished out the wheels and tyres.

40pSPu3.jpg

The rims have some very visible part lines which need cleaning off.This boxful came from the estate of a good friend and top notch modelmaker who passed away a couple of years ago.I have a feeling that this one was next on his build list,he'd fitted one of the vinyl tyres to one of the rims.This has been stood for a while and the rim has gone soft where the two bits have been in contact and the plastic looks like it's had a bad mauling from the too much glue gremlin.

Y9DVdJj.jpg

Now that I've separated the bits I'll let them stand to see if the plastic hardens up again.The rear axle and drivetrain were my next victims.

fykp2w0.jpg

These were  bit bent so some clamping was required.

crFinTX.jpg

The four dampers for the springs were found and glued on.

5Xn8F1E.jpg

The front axle and steering link rod were de-part lined and put together.

eUQwTIu.jpg

The various tanks and boxes were cleaned up and assembled.

c17t5kx.jpg

Here's where we are after a couple of hours this evening.

LhzuWRM.jpg

Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 15

Hello again Chums,a little bit done today.

PattheCat,thanks for chipping in.It's the name that did it for me,cars aren't really my thing either but there's nothing like making something to generate understanding and enthusiasm.

Brad,thanks for the welcome old fruit.The lack of build threads is part of the reason that I decided to have a crack at this one.The very few threads out there don't seem to show a lot of what's involved.

The major component count in this kit isn't huge so it's not very long after starting that paint becomes involved.The seats are two part affairs that can be painted before assembly with no need for masking.  

2ZFltb7.jpg

There are some knobbly bits on the contact faces that need to be removed before the bits can be fitted together.

AIMaiRM.jpg

Photography shows what looks like a pair of leather armchairs that wouldn't look out of place in any reputable gentlemens club.I've not really tried to simulate leather before so now's the time to have a go.I made a mix of Humbrols 10 Service Brown and 9 Tan and slopped it in to the recesses of the seats. 

1jDP3MH.jpg

I then lightened the mix with a drop more 9 and slathered this on to the bulgy bits in between while it was wet so that I could avoid a visible step in the paint.This doesn't seem to have worked spectacularly well but let's see what it looks like once dry and if it's absolute rubbish I've a can of Mr Muscle oven cleaner that'll return things to square one.

Y5SWF6S.jpg

There is a chrome frame in the kit which takes care of the bling bits.This is something else that I've never really dealt with before but given the knowledge that the silver is actually Aluminium and needs to be scraped away from any face that has to take glue is going to be one of those things one needs to know before one needs to know it.

efh2DUO.jpg

A number of these are destined for the dashboard panel.

kgJQy91.jpg

The steering wheel is a thing of shininess but the rim should be either wood or leather clad,not my photo so here's a link. 

OL5V10l.jpg

The dashboard panel has a woodgrain effect moulded in that I'm not sure I'll find convincing.

nnPyLns.jpg

Both have had a coat of Humbrol 9 and we'll see where that leads us.

kkVMJBG.jpg

The rear axle assembly has been glued to the chassis frame.

SU3WTF5.jpg

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 12

It's nice to see this one being done, I don't think I've ever seen a built one before.

Regarding the melted plastic on the wheel, I doubt it will ever harden again.

It's a curse that appears a lot with old car kits. If the tires have been in contact with the other plastic for any length of time the reaction can start. The tire is unaffected, the kit plastic turns to jelly.

The only real solution is to dig out the soft plastic right back to the firm stuff and repair if you can. All my old car kits have the tires bagged separately from the kit parts, just in case.

• Like 3

G'day again Chums,a few bits to report.

Tony,thanks for dropping by old fruit.I'll try not to disappoint.I've read about the perils of vinyl on polystyrene but no-one has ever mentioned why.I've had a bit of a dig round and the best I've found so far is that MEK is used in part of the vinyl manufacturing process which would melt polystyrene quite convincingly.The wheel hasn't shown any signs of hardening so far but it's only been a few days.Being as we've got a live example and plenty of time it might be worth trying a few basic things to see if the problem can be remedied.I have a feeling that most things have probably been tried before and I'll end up doing what you said in the first place.

Anyway,here's what I've been up to today.The steering linkage can be fitted before the chassis is painted so I have done. 

BffQc8x.jpg

Likewise the two posts either side of the spare wheel tray.While I was at it I glued a couple of small rectangles of plastic card on the underside of where these go to reinforce a rapidly weakening bit of structure due to there not being a lot of plastic there to support the spare wheel tray. 

96PC90m.jpg

The seats have dried (the joys of Terebene in enamel paint,no waiting a week to work on it) and are ready for the next application.

G2kPR64.jpg

The engine bits have had their part lines removed and are ready to paint.

N2IKfxd.jpg

As have the radiator matrix and upper coolant pipe.

z0bN8RH.jpg

Just for a giggle I thought I'd have an offer up to see what it was starting to look like.

1lsqHZS.jpg

Having masked off the contact faces for joining the chassis to the body here's where we are tonight.The seats,dashboard and steering wheel have all had another slathering of paint and,I think,might well be ready for a coat of satin varnish to tone down the gloss.

1qlgmPy.jpg

There are two things going through my mind with this build,what colour to paint it and how far to go with the engine.Paintwise I've all sorts of colours to go at,the metallics wouldn't look authentic so that leaves the straight glosses.I don't want to custom mix because I want repeatability.The engine has good basic shape but the detail bits could be refined and lots of stuff could be added.I don't want to bog down in another seemingly endless mire of mojo sapping component making but I'll not be happy with it if I don't give it a go.

That's tomorrows decision cycle planned then.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Missed a bit.
  • Like 10

Nice progress. Tony's right about those tyres, the vinyl will react with the plastic over time, causing the plastic to melt. You could could your remaining rims in something like alu foil before fitting the tyre. Chrome parts are usually de-chromed in regular household bleach, so you can paint the resulting bare plastic in a more suitable colour. 

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,a spot of progress to show.

Jeroen,thanks for dropping by.Having looked in on some of your builds I value your opinion.I'm not planning to de-chrome the shiny bits,they look good to me and I don't have any appropriate paint to replicate the finish.I've been quietly following your T 143 build.I've a T 142 that I've had for around 30 years and your build has nearly persuaded me to pick it up again and finish it :thumbsup2: .

Brad,many thanks old fruit.

I've decided on a colour,I have an age old pot of Humbrol 71 which has been stirred back to life and is a sort of Buttermilk colour.I've squirted a few bits with this including the bits of body and chassis that will be difficult to reach once assembled so that assembly can progress.

IL5ayV6.jpg

The seats have had a hairy stickful of Vallejo satin varnish,I find painting a glossy substance on to a glossy surface entertaining from the point of view that I always miss a bit and that can be clearly seen here.

x0rF3Gs.jpg

The steering wheel is all but done and looks half decent from a distance.There was a bit of touching in needed where I hadn't quite placed the masking tape properly but a drop of satin varnish will cure that once the paint has dried.

zx65h33.jpg

• Like 15

G'day again Chums,

I've decided that it would be rude not to do a little something with the engine.The basic block looks good compared to photos but the cylinders and valve gear are victims of the budget versus parts count debate and would benefit from some attention.

1erKQwQ.jpg

I cut off the cylinder and head assemblies.A dig round in the gash plastic box yielded some thick runner that will be used to replace the cylinders.

LNhUisU.jpg

A length of the runner was chucked into the cordless drill and each cylinder was turned out in turn.The same was done with some copper wire to make the valve pushrod stems and the tiny springs were made from 0.3mm wire wrapped round a 1mm drill bit in a pin vice.The whole lot took my cavernous void of a mind off the outside world for a couple of hours or so. 

4eR9xPu.jpg

The heads were then separated off and the whole thing has been blu-tacked together to see how it looks.There is refinement and fillery to come as well as a new set of pushrods 'cos brains here made them too short but the effort will be worth it.

YqQoVgu.jpg

• Like 13

Nice work. Things like this make an engine much more interesting to look at. I'm glad I inspired you to almost pick up the 142 🙂 .... My 143 has been in a box for a while, I really should dig it out as well but I don't have a lot of time at the moment and two GB tractors to look after!

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,a tad more to show.

Andwil,thanks old fruit.The valve springs are really simple to make,just delicate to handle.

Brad,thanks old chum.

Jeroen,your Fergie tractor build is coming on very well.

PattheCat,thanks old bean.

Kris,thanks for that.I'm not really sure what direction I'm heading with this but I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out so far.

The soft bit on the wheel has been cut off.It was a matter of a few moments with a scalpel which was guided by the hard bit underneath.

F5coCln.jpg

There wasn't as much as I thought.

sxo7lPt.jpg

A strip of 0.5mm card was cut to the width of the rim

G48nZtQ.jpg

and sized to fit inside the tyre.

2fi05Xn.jpg

The rim was then pushed into the hole,evened up and liquid glue wicked into the joint.

YicUm3U.jpg

While that was setting I turned my attention to the bonnet,or should that be hood?There is raised plastic where the pinstriping is supposed to go.Photos of the real thing show this not to be there,it has to go.

SrNjOOS.jpg

Likewise the mudguards (fenders?)

iG23H17.jpg

Milliputting has been performed on the heads and cylinder joints and four more longer pushrods have been made. 

S9wMniw.jpg

The cylinders have been painted with Humbrol 80 Grass Green which looks a reasonable match to photos on my screen.

dhAWwBu.jpg

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in and commenting.

• Like 12

G'day again Chums,twiddly bits and paint this time.

One of these days I'll get the hang of the light levels on this camera.The front of the engine has the cooling fan mounted on a solid lump,photos show this to be a frame so this needs to be hollowed out.

HaBH8QT.jpg

Like this.

iMN6EbB.jpg

Painting has been started on the rest of the engine components.

EZ6QHSE.jpg

The errant wheel has had some flanges of plastic card fitted into slots cut into the centre of the rim to hold the tyre in place.

p2HHO3H.jpg

A quick cobble together to make sure that I'm heading in the right direction.

AwC1qX5.jpg

I'm starting to realise that most of the paint job will need to be finished before major assembly can commence.At least there's no canopy masking on this one.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 13

Of  the antique cars of the early years, the Stutz was always my favorite. Probably due to  Tv show from the early 70's that watched as a kid called The Bearcats starring Rod Taylor.

Keep up the good work. can't wait to see the finished product!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Of  the antique cars of the early years, the Stutz was always my favorite. Probably due to  Tv show from the early 70's that watched as a kid called The Bearcats starring Rod Taylor.

Keep up the good work. can't wait to see the finished product!

Never heard of the show so went and looked it up. Shame it didn't do well, kind of an A-team before the A-team. 

• Like 2

This is coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

I have vague memories of the Bearcats series. I watched Alias Smith and Jones, which this series apparently lost out to...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I watched Alias Smith and Jones, which this series apparently lost out to...

Yes, right, those guys! They were on here as well in the late '70's.. watched them all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yes, right, those guys! They were on here as well in the late '70's.. watched them all the time. 

I didn't remember immediately but yes! Same here.

Hello again Chums,twiddly bits and grinding dust this time.

Loren,thanks for popping in.I'd never heard of that series either until you mentioned it.Glad you're enjoying this one.

Dennis,G'day old fruit.

dnl42,thanks for looking in.I vaguely remember Alias Smith and Jones being out there but I don't think that I ever saw an episode.

PattheCat,cheers old chum.

Jeroen,G'day old bean.

Dashboard time.I'm not entirely sure that I'm happy with the paint job on this bit,we'll see what it looks like with a satin varnish on to tone down the gloss.Finding the various gauges was not too tricky once I'd realised that four different ones all had the same part number which was only just legible on the frame.

VyykGmx.jpg

They look pretty reasonable offered into place but I forsee some work on the dial faces in my future.

BW8t5dn.jpg

If I'm doing the work on the engine I suppose the bonnet should be open.The panels are hefty thick lumps,one of which will require thinning to look anywhere near.I started at the hinge line with a spherical burr in the pin vice.

WxZR32o.jpg

Then I stuck something a little more aggressive into the Dremelesque (it's not a Dremel) and used it to chew out most of the thickness leaving enough to flatten off to a decent flat finish without too many visible gouges.

uOMoIyr.jpg

The end result is something that should look somewhere near.

h0VqBwW.jpg

There has also been paint.I'll put one more coat on after this which should give me the high gloss that I'm after,it turns out that Humbrol 71 is a satin finish so there will need to be a high proportion of gloss varnish in the mix to do the job.Once that's done and dried I can mask for the pinstriping and then we can start assembly of the major components.

nfsGOkp.jpg

• Like 9

G'day again Chums,not much to show this time.Having finished up my Mustang rework I've come back to this one and embarked on the pinstriping.First I tried freehanding it.There was a time,many moons ago when my eyesight was better and my hand steadier,when I could have done this well enough to get away with it.

U9BKols.jpg

So I tried to mask it using tape cut by me.I'm going to be fed up with this by the time I reach the end of the second mudguard so I need to have a rethink about how I'm going to do this.The finished item would look very bland without it so I see the pinstriping as essential to the finish.

OyWwx8P.jpg

I decided to chuck a bit more paint at the engine.There's not much more to do to this lot before assembly.

YHFl54x.jpg

• Like 5