1/144 747-8 Double Build

I gotta say those are mighty impressive and once you’ve worked your magic they will look awesome on the model. Great stuff. You’ve probably already mentioned it in your thread but are you using illustrator as your software of choice?

Iain

I have reworked the colours on the 'Poland' decals and also resized the design, making it larger:

d2.jpg

The two huge panels in the middle are the corogard sections for my A380 build - they just fit onto a sheet of A4, with other decals fitted in around the edges!

Once applied, I was much happier with the appearance:

d3.jpg

Much brighter colours and much closer to the original artwork than before. Just a few more decals to go, then the tails will be done.

• Like 7

On 01/09/2021 at 21:59, mitchem said:

Really impressive Matt. 👍👍

Can I ask what brand of decal paper you're using ?

Thanks Mike. 👍

I currently use Mr. Decal Paper. It's not perfect, as it can stretch slightly during application if you apply too much pressure when sliding it from the backing paper. It is also noticeable when on the model, for example the outline around the decal showing the livery name:

flo.jpg

I'm not sure if better brands are available?

On 01/09/2021 at 22:28, Alex1978 said:

Fabulous looking tails.👍

I stay tuned for the finished queens

Thanks Alex. A little preview for you!

twn.jpg

A long way to go, but they have an identity now!

18 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

I think the designs on page one are worth doing as well (says the man with 8 747's on the go and more ideas brewing. Maybe I'll finish one someday).

I would have to agree! I will hopefully get around to those one day, but there a fair number of other Utopia liveries I would like to do first...

• Like 9

On 9/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Mike. 👍

I currently use Mr. Decal Paper. It's not perfect, as it can stretch slightly during application if you apply too much pressure when sliding it from the backing paper. It is also noticeable when on the model, for example the outline around the decal showing the livery name:

twn.jpg

Thanks Matt. I used to use Expert's choice decal paper, but then my aged printer decided it didn't like printing on it anymore - may have had something to do with the irony in the brand name? I've been trying Mr Decal Paper out on a couple of other projects and it seems to be doing the trick, although it has taken some getting used to.

As for your markings, you've done a cracking job with them. Can't wait to see the double build in the RFI 👍👍

mike 

• Thanks 1

On 07/09/2021 at 20:06, mitchem said:

As for your markings, you've done a cracking job with them. Can't wait to see the double build in the RFI 👍👍

Thanks Mike.👍

I have ordered some new decal paper; I'm trying Hayes this time, to see how it performs. It was highly rated, so worth a go!

One huge advantage in printing your own decals is that if things go wrong, you can make some more. I noticed a very wonky decal this morning:

bd.jpg

It has already been removed and a replacement is drying as I type. I won't touch it until tonight - that should stop a recurrence!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 11/09/2021 at 11:01, aurelien wolff said:

how do you do your decals and make them in the right scale? following this since I intend on getting the fanhansa 747 8i from revell if I get good grade at my exam (if I get a zvezda, it'll be a what if BBJ base on a airshow model and inspired by boeing livery)

It's a long and painstaking process using Photoshop! There are quite a few hours work in every design...

The next few decals to go on are cut out and ready for application - fictitious registrations, cockpit hatches, RM logos and One World logos:

ow.jpg

Before getting sidetracked by decal design, I was about to build the engines. I've finally made some progress in this area! These are the Revell cores and inlets, with the replacement Zvezda fans from Ian:

re1.jpg

The fan assemblies need to have their spindles removed, then they will fit nicely into the Revell housings.

The Zvezda cores are also built:

ze1.jpg

Note the exhaust cones have to be added at this stage with Zvezda; on the Revell kit they can be added later which aids the painting process. The fans glue onto the core and then slot into the cowlings.

All the fans are meant to have black sections on each blade, but for my sanity I'm ignoring that!😁

• Like 5

Very nice seeing more progress on the queens.

Your double build inspired me to order another 2 Zvezda -8I...😊...which brings my 747 stash to 73 units

I know what you mean with the fanblades.I did painstakingly paint all of them with those silver edges on each blade.Turned into a therapheutic feel after a while😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

And I thought I was getting obsessed with 8! I feel so much better now! Do you have a warehouse to display them in?

Seems that you are not the only one with a 747 obsession...😂

Just my house,no idea yet where to display them all when I ever get around building every one of them☺.

I hope to find a solution some time...

• Like 2

On 14/09/2021 at 19:53, Alex1978 said:

which brings my 747 stash to 73 units

And I thought I was bad! 😲 😁

No progress to report, but a parcel arrived from Revell today:

rsp.jpg

The replacement parts have arrived! No charge, but no real improvement either - these look almost as bad as the originals... I'll stick with the Zvezda parts instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I've had a few questions about the design of the tail fin decals used during this build, so I have started another thread to explain this process in much more detail.

It's here if you want to see the whole process, from initial design to final application, using a 727 in a fictitious Utopia livery. Be warned - it might take a while until it's finished, as I'll be adding to it as I go along and I've only just started!

• Like 1

The engines are coming together. The cores are now now built and are being fitted inside the cowls. This is the Revell offering:

rcs.jpg

And Zvezda's:

zcs.jpg

Again, IMHO Zvezda has the edge, as Revell leaves a visible seam inside the cowl which will need attention:

lne.jpg

Zvezda's interior is completely smooth.👍

I will get the engines built up next and see how well the halves close together.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The engines from both kits went together very well:

8.jpg

The Zvezda engines are the ones painted blue. Revell's are still without the exhaust cones, which will be added at the end of the build.

It looks like the engines are completely interchangeable between the two kits, which is a good sign - I might use the Zvezda engines on my other Revell kits in the stash, as I think the inlet rings are more realistic - more on that later...

I have also started the tailplanes. Here are the basic parts:

tps.jpg

The white Revell parts are more detailed with panel lines and access panels. They also have an attachment tab, rather than two small pins on the Zvezda tailplanes:

tp2.jpg

I will clean up the joints and get them primed soon.

• Like 4

On 9/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Mike. 👍

flo.jpg

I'm not sure if better brands are available?

Thanks Alex. A little preview for you!

twn.jpg

A long way to go, but they have an identity now!

I would have to agree! I will hopefully get around to those one day, but there a fair number of other Utopia liveries I would like to do first...

very impressive artwork! the colors really look bright - what printer did you use?

best regards

On 19/10/2021 at 23:46, RCI said:

very impressive artwork! the colors really look bright - what printer did you use?

Thank you! Sorry for the delay in replying - it is an HP Envy 4524 - old but reliable...😉

On 13/10/2021 at 19:45, Back in the Saddle said:

I might use the Zvezda engines on my other Revell kits in the stash, as I think the inlet rings are more realistic - more on that later...

Returning to my last post, here's an image showing the inlet rings on both kits:

rgs.jpg

The Revell one on the left is far too deep... I think I will bin these engines completely and use my spare Zvezda ones instead, to keep the models looking similar...

• Like 2

Hi Matt

I absolutely love all your builds, I'm learning so much from your modelling skills. Great work.

In particular I'd love to learn how you get your decals looking so good. I had a go at home made decals and posted my method of producing them here - they were for a Thomas Cook A321. I'd certainly appreciate it if you could explain how you go about making your excellent decals.

Thanks

Tim

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Timo said:

I absolutely love all your builds, I'm learning so much from your modelling skills. Great work.

Thank you! 😀

11 minutes ago, Timo said:

In particular I'd love to learn how you get your decals looking so good. I had a go at home made decals and posted my method of producing them here - they were for a Thomas Cook A321. I'd certainly appreciate it if you could explain how you go about making your excellent decals.

I have started a thread explaining this very subject over in the 'decals' section of this website - here's the link. It's a WIP and at a relatively early stage, but the full process will be explained as the decals get produced. Hopefully this will help!

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2021 at 16:39, Back in the Saddle said:

I think I will bin these engines completely and use my spare Zvezda ones instead, to keep the models looking similar...

Having had a better look at this, this is not such a straightforward option as I imagined... The inboard engines are completely interchangeable, with identical sized pylons. However, the pylons on the outboard engines vary in length quite a bit:

red.jpg

Zvezda (on the left) has a much longer pylon.

The Revell engine has more joint lines to fill in the intake:

jl1.jpg

Whereas the Zvezda engine has less to fill, with just the joints between left/right halves of the engine:

jl2.jpg

Finally the exhaust sections on the Zvezda engines fit better, without the step which is much more noticeable on the Revell engine (at the bottom):

ejl.jpg

I am still inclined to bin the Revell engines and use the Zvezda ones instead. I can fettle them to fit relatively easily and I think they look superior.

• Like 1

Looking at the difference between the Revell and Zvezda outboard pylon lengths, it seems although the Zvezda is longer, that one places the engine "pod" further back compared to the leading edge of the wing (I'm guessing form the pic). The Revell pod would appear to sit much further forward therefore. Does that seem right?

Terry

I'll get both but I'm not sure if 1/2 mm difference is that much of a problem (note:my zvezda wil be done in the british airways landor livery since they applyed it in 2019 on their 400 and they comapred the A380 to the 747 8i+I got the sheet from my 400 wich I'm going to do as a qantas wunala dreaming with the new look cabin). Already got revell siegerflieger but it won't be a 8i, it'll be the shorter advanced . Thanks fro the answers about the decals, couldn't answer myself because for some reason my page keep crashing on firefox