Boulton Paul Defiant TT MK.I target tug

reini

20210721_122144.jpg

Disaster! I thought I'd speed up my process and quickly spray over some white Maston spray to make the yellow pop a little bit more - and I guess it was partly user error (too much paint, too close) and poor paint but the end result you can see here :( I was ready to put it back in the box and stuff it into the darkest corner on my shelf of doom. But I knew if I do that, this plane was never to be seen again - and I really wanted to finish this as I've spent quite a bit of time on it.

20210721_132838.jpg

So after some vigorous rubbing... with the lacquer thinner... all was good again. It took some effort but the paint came of quite nicely. What a relief! :D I did have to clean the panel lines with a scriber so that took bit extra time. But I was really planning to finish this during my couple days off from work so I continued... 

20210721_161836.jpg

Primed... again! This time I followed the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer spray with some Tamiya Lacquer white, will not be trying the Maston white again!

20210721_173503.jpg

And ta-da! It's a bright and yellow canary! :D I was showing my wife the scheme I was about to make and her eyes were immediately drawn onto this option instead, which is full yellow with black stripes, and dared me to do that instead. Well, it was all it took - I get to do camo planes all day but bright yellow ones not so often. So why not! I let everything settle and continue tomorrow with some masking for the black stripes.

Phew, what a day!

• Like 11

A neat save.

The wife is always right. Well, at least in this case as I concur with her choice of a colourful scheme (yellow being my favourite colour).

• Like 1

Your solution to the poor fit has been a triumph. It looks really good.

I see you've pinned the propeller and undercarriage. How do you guarantee you are drilling the hole in the right place and it is square to the other parts? Do you use a vice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Tucker said:

Your solution to the poor fit has been a triumph. It looks really good.

I see you've pinned the propeller and undercarriage. How do you guarantee you are drilling the hole in the right place and it is square to the other parts? Do you use a vice?

Thanks! :)

I just poke a small starting point with a needle as center as possible - and hope for the best really :D If it ends up not quite center I enlarge the hole tiny bit to give me some wiggle room and let the glue do the rest.

- - - - - -- 

20210721_094417.jpg

Question about wheel well colous. It says here that the landing gear legs are aluminium/silver, wheel well covers (inside) are interior gray green and the wheel wells themselves are black. Does this seem right? Seems like a lot of colours some of which don't make sense (black) but I really don't know any better.

20210722_104139.jpg

It's quite hard to see because of the yellow tape on yellow paint but... it's masked!

20210722_111938.jpg

... and painted! But you know what I think I will leave the great reveal until next time. That's ok, right?

So, see ya!

Bye!

..... byeeeee!

... still here? Oh what the heck! 

20210722_115405.jpg

Ta-da! I'm pretty happy, mostly worked out nicely, no big oversprays or paint sliding under the tape. Looks quite... weird! :D And dangerous! Not that it really was but anyways.

20210722_115410.jpg

Some parts were extra neat so I was really happy about that...

20210722_115425.jpg

... but there were couple jagged edges and small imperfections in the mix too. Nothing that can't be easily sorted out though - I'm just happy that there isn't any big spills as trying to fix the yellow over black would be impossible.

I will let it dry and work out the possible other details I've missed and I think we will put down some clear coat for the decals :) 

• Like 12

Nice work on the paint job old fruit :goodjob: .The wheel wells on the Hendon Defiant are black with a bit of silver on the undercarriage legs but that is in a night scheme.I don't know for certain but green wells and silver legs and struts would not look wrong to me.

Image from  http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-tool-airfix-boulton-paul-defiant-in.html

defiantHendon2.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant job on this, those resin parts must have been made by unicraft going by the fit and size of gaps involved. 

I really hope that all that lovely interior detail can still seen when the masking comes off.

By the way Mrs @reini got the colour choice spot on !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 01:05, JOCKNEY said:

I really hope that all that lovely interior detail can still seen when the masking comes off.

Thanks. But I won't get my hopes up 😄

20210723_070947.jpg

Decal time. They were few and good quality. Just the way I like it :) 

20210724_064702.jpg

At this point I realised that the landing lights were included in the kit (part C1) but there was no mention in the instructions that you have to cut a slot for them yourself.

20210724_065123.jpg

So little bit cutting was in order. This saw is from Hasegawa Dauntless kit that comes with a PE fret for the dive flaps.

20210724_071622.jpg

Few moments later.

20210724_092245.jpg

At this point the weathering started. I went with Flory Models Grime, it's bit lighter than Dark Dirt so I thought it would be more suitable for such a bright colour.

20210724_220913.jpg

Excess wash cleaned off.

20210724_224418.jpg

Landing lights glued in and continued work with the weathering, I made some chipping on the leading edge.

20210725_071942.jpg

Landing gear were pretty complicated affair but had no big issues putting them together. Giving the extra support by pinning the main landing gear legs was a good idea, they seem really sturdy now.

20210725_073413.jpg

Wheel well doors attached.

20210725_103346.jpg

Exhaust painted and glued. Continued work with the weathering. Getting real close now...

20210725_205948.jpg

There was no parts for the antenna attachment points in the elevators so I had to go thru my bits box. These are from Eduard PE fret, I think they were eject handles from an ejection seat.

20210725_215917.jpg

Lots of antenna wires in the tail! Hard to make them stand out in a photo, the Mig rigging wire is quite thin.

Next up, finished plane once I get around taking proper pics :) Until next time.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Superb paint job there old fruit.The wire around the tailplane and rudder was there to prevent the towing cable from tangling up in the tail and control surfaces.I haven't found a photo but I'm not sure if the wire should go over the tip of the rudder instead of just below the mass balance as you have it.I could well be wrong on that bit.

• Like 1

20210730_204959.jpg

20210730_204932.jpg

Not gonna lie, this was quire rewarding build! :) It's nice to see it finished after quite a bit of effort I put on it

Thank you for following this build, if you want to see more pics, you can find them here:

• Like 8

Reini, Just looked back through the build. I really like your solution of overcoming the problem of the resin part along back of fuselage. You grabbed that problem, the horrible crazing of the undercoat and came out smiling with a superb model. The weathering, subtle but effective really brings it alive. Good Job 🙂

• Like 1