RAF inventory in 1966

rob Lyttle

Now then guys, I just found this and been having a look through..... 

IMG_20210417_180038

It's not a huge in depth analysis reference book, more of a publicity booklet. 

It has 47 pages. 

1-6 is a quick history sketch. 

7-11 covers the main Commands. 

12-40 contains the current aircraft types as of 1966 (publication date) and there is sometimes 2 to a page.....!! 

Then it's missiles and what the future holds..... 

So we're looking at over 28 types in service. 

How many do you reckon you could list?? 🤔

• Like 2

I remember having that book, I cannot remember where I got it from, I think I sent off for it. Here is what I can recall:

Andover

Argosy

Basset

Beverley

Twin Pioneer 

Jet Provost

Gnat

Hunter

Lightning

Victor

Vulcan

Shackleton 

Varsity

Phantom

Harrier

HS801

Hercules

F111K

Belvedere

Whirlwind 

Wessex

Sycamore

Pembroke

Chipmunk

Vampire T. 11

That's all I can remember at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

That's all I can remember

Good going Mr T! 

5 minutes ago, Fat fingers said:

VC10

Yes ☑️

36 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Vickers Valetta 

Bell Sioux HT2

Handley Page Hastings 

Valetta.... ☑️

No sign of the Bell or Hastings 

45 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Gloster Javelin 

EE Canberra

☑️and ☑️

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Belfast?

Oh yea, you bet, John ‼️👍☘️👍

40 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Bloodhound?

Thor?

Bloodhound is one of the 4 missile types listed ☑️

I should say that the F111 is on the last page to illustrate going "forward into the future" 

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

DH Devon

Slingsby Sedbergh

DH Comet

The Devon is in ☑️

And the Comet ☑️

No mention of gliders - that may be looked on as recreational perhaps? 

17 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

What was the size of the total aircraft inventory then,

I made a list for my own reference and sanity. 

29 fixed wing types 

4 whirlies 

4 missiles

39 minutes ago, JohnT said:

with the then RAF Historic Aircraft Flight?

No, not listed as active aircraft. I'm not sure what the time line is for it, but the status of the aircraft wouldn't be "active" or "operational" I guess. 

• Like 1

I've got one of those. I recognise the cover. I can't put my hand to it ATM, it's buried in the loft, but doesn't it have a Phantom picture in it? ISTR it's of a recce variant with poorly added roundels airbrushed on. Very unconvincing.

Just thought. -  Bristol Britannia 

the book cover looks familiar. I think I had it way back then. I’d be 13 or thereabouts so not 100% sure but the graphics ring a bell somewhere. God we had an Air force and a navy back then

48 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Just thought. -  Bristol Britannia 

☑️👍

54 minutes ago, Ossington said:

doesn't it have a Phantom picture in it?

Right on all counts. 

There's also an artist's impression of the HS 801 which became the Nimrod. So I think they cheated a bit here as the type was clearly not "current" but they were thinking that it was "imminent". 

Just now, rob Lyttle said:

☑️👍

Right on all counts. 

There's also an artist's impression of the HS 801 which became the Nimrod. So I think they cheated a bit here as the type was clearly not "current" but they were thinking that it was "imminent". 

I thought Nimrod as it was announced in the 60’s but didn’t become operational till the early 70’s I 🤔 think

Any others we missed ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Just a couple. I'll need to do a check through. 

4 copter types listed..... Oh hang on, Mr T got them all 

Love stuff like this. Thanks for posting Rob

• Haha 1

How about ships and submarines in service with the RN in 1966 next for the maritime modellers? Only fair

I could start with Lion, Tiger and Blake to cover the cruisers and the by the radar picket ex Battle class Barossa as in 1967 I got a tour of her in Gibraltar and sat in the forward turret 

Need to start a new topic though 

Bit of a headache marking everybody's work 😇

No doubt Mr T got in with a good opening salvo. 

Some excellent work all round, guys. All I can see, flicking up and down etc, is the Dominie /HP Jetstream, and there's a Pioneer as well as the Twin Pioneer. 

Anybody say Varsity....? 

The Kestrel is included, as a precursor to the Harrier but again they are being a bit forward with this, although they have a picture of it in flight with RAF markings so who am I to judge...? 

No Vampire T 11 or other, maybe deleted by then?? Somebody said Chipmunk, didn't they? 

Missile types listed are Redtop, Blue Steel neuc, the AS 30 by Nord, and of course the one with the Land rover, trailer, guards and patrol dog that we've all built! And got to work too 😍

Crikey, I forgot the VC10, Comet, Britannia, Canberra and Dominie, how could I! I remember some of the pictures, including the one for the HS801. I don't know what happened to my copy, lost or culled in the various moves I have made in the last 50 years. 

Thanks Rod for the test and a bit of fun and also for the nostalgia, (Frog kits, Airfix rivets and thinking Humbrol 30 was a match for Dark Green as well the Beatles, my brother listening to Cream and first love). 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

It's quite a list compared to today.

Presumably that book only mentions active inventory 'front line'  machines.  There would still have been a few Meteor F8 target facilities machines like 'Winston' then, plus TT Meteors at Llanbedr and possibly Malta.

On Vampires, I must ask an ex-RAF pilot friend who just yesterday was reminiscing, talking bout practising 'E2B letdowns' through cloud which they used to practice, and I think he taught at one time. He mentioned Vampire two seaters and I know his service started later than '66. He was seconded to the FAA to fly Buccaneers, so perhaps the Vampires were Navy. 

• Like 1