77th Anniversary of "The Great Escape"

JPuente54

This year arks the 77th anniversary of the The Great Escape. It was a great attempt; and, something that really upset the Germans. It also had a very sad result in the murders of so many of them. The movie is still a great story and accurate in many of its details. What many don't know is that a local Chicago TV celebrity was a prisoner at Stalag Luft 3. Ray Rayner was a prisoner there.I believe that @72modeler, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Procopius,and a couple of others will remember him as man who performed on WGN-TV, Channel 9 in Chicago. I do remember an interview where he said everyone in the camp had a job to help the others escape. If one has the 2 disc DVD, or the Bluray; the extra/bonus features are worth watching.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

This year arks the 77th anniversary of the The Great Escape. It was a great attempt; and, something that really upset the Germans. It also had a very sad result in the murders of so many of them. The movie is still a great story and accurate in many of its details. What many don't know is that a local Chicago TV celebrity was a prisoner at Stalag Luft 3. Ray Rayner was a prisoner there.I believe that @72modeler, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Procopius,and a couple of others will remember him as man who performed on WGN-TV, Channel 9 in Chicago. I do remember an interview where he said everyone in the camp had a job to help the others escape. If one has the 2 disc DVD, or the Bluray; the extra/bonus features are worth watching.

Yes have the dvd and he was a local celebrity for many years. I can remember seeing him and know many that met him on Bozo’s circus show. 

On 4/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, JPuente54 said:

About a  decade before my time, I'm afraid!