What’s flying over your house #3

RidgeRunner

This weekend various RNZAF aircraft have been overflying parts of the country to celebrate the 85th Anniversary of its formation.

Today the Heritage Flight went from Ohakea to Christchurch in the South Island and back to Ohakea. We were on the schedule but had no idea what route they would take over us.

So we stood out in the back garden from about ten minutes before the allotted time and were pleasantly surprised when only a couple of minutes late they appeared flying directly at our house, then executed a turn almost overhead before departing the area.

Flight comprised the Avenger, two Harvard II (or whatever they call them!) and a Spit. Sorry about the pic...an iPhone is my only camera these days.

vAw81hh.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 4

My son & I went & waited down by the local airport for these, got a good view, looking & sounding super, but afterwards we realised their approach to the airport from Hanmer had taken them straight over our house, could've saved the trip.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A Chinook just went over (not squawking) and was really low. I barely heard it until it was right on top of us and just caught it as it disappeared over the rooftops.

Also I forgot to mention that I saw a formation of a Tiger Moth and two Magisters the other day. I guess they’re practicing for the first Shuttleworth display of the year.

Shuttleworth's Spitfire Vc AR501 is currently flying around on a test flight. It came close enough to see the squadron markings. Earlier on I had to go to the local farm produce shop to re-stock on bird food, and that's even closer to Old Warden. While I was there, a Percival Mew Gull was putting on a spirited display, whilst A Miles Hawk Speed Six took off. Damn, I'll miss all this when I move house!

Not “over my house” but worthy of mention, are six Chinese Y-20s that are currently flying Batjanica-Xinjiang!

A Percival Proctor, heading north. Sadly, I only heard it, looked up on one of those ADS-B thingies. I don’t think I have ever seen one flying.

Whilst in Chichester earlier a Hurricane and Harvard flying over Goodwood.

John

• Like 2

A de Havilland Puss Moth, Bucker Bu 133 and a Piper Cub. Not bad for a five minute slot. Also a ruby tiger moth (the wee creature, not a red aeroplane) which I found on the footpath and moved to a safer place. Apparently bang-on for their flight period in this area.

• Like 1

Not quite over the house, as it was slightly too far north to see but definitely heard it, a Tiger Moth.

14 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Also a ruby tiger moth (the wee creature, not a red aeroplane) which I found on the footpath and moved to a safer place. Apparently bang-on for their flight period in this area.

Very nice. They are quite little things aren’t they. I will have to brush off the traps and get them going very soon :) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Indeed, can just see it, cheers surprisingly quiet compared to kc135s

French Twin Otter heading your way, Stu

I Standing in the middle of one of our fields at 1050 holding a horse ( long story ) an Air France Airbus appeared over the trees to the south heading NE at about 5-6000ft possibly going to Chateauroux for some training.

At 1545 a loose pair of Mirage 2000s passed just south of us heading east. Perhaps the A de l’A has found some more pocket, I haven’t seen a pair of anything for some time, when we arrived here  17 years ago it was not uncommon to see Jaguar 4 ship formation.

• Like 2

.....Spitfire after Spitfire!  One in particular -could be Aerolegends- comes along the top of the cliffs and then pulls up and over the memorial in a roll and climbs back inland. Always makes the hairs stand up..  Looks like the season for flying over the BoB Memorial and along the white cliffs is well and truly underway...

• Like 3

Another new for year butterfly- an orange-tip was nectaring in our garden this morning. That’s eight different species so far this year. 

• Like 3

..and a Hurricane stooging about very sedately over the cliff tops, flew a few circuits around the BoB memorial and came right over the garden. Marvelous sight and sound, so early in the year. Really looking forward to the Headcorn show! No idea where the nearest Hurricane to me is based but I don't think its there

• Like 2

We have just got back from an epic walk around the village, as the weather was glorious. Honestly, it felt like summer today. The skies were busy with light aircraft. though there was a Spitfire, Cessna 140 and an Auster way off in the distance. We decided to count the butterflies along the way, with an attempt not to count any twice. The final tally was 103. I would have been happy with twenty! I can't remember the last time I saw so many.

• Like 3